Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
"..jumped it before.." "..connecting to the fuse box.."

Specific point, fuse, fuse outflow end?

I seem to remember you must remove a specific fuse and "jump", attach, to the fuse holder load side....
Only applies to MK II. Please see this link http://perryandcoblog.com/2009/11/17...hood-solution/
Old 10-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Philip Hudkins
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Luggage compartment lid will not open with CHARGED battery.

My Porsche is 2009 911 Carrera S, had 40K service in July,did not try to open luggage compartment lid until two weeks ago and it will not open even though Porsche battery is fully charged! HELP! Does my car have an emergency cable under passenger wheel we'll? Does it require me to place car key in driver door lock?

Phil.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Have you tried the steps in the link above?

Originally Posted by Philip Hudkins
My Porsche is 2009 911 Carrera S, had 40K service in July,did not try to open luggage compartment lid until two weetks ago and it will not open even though Porsche battery is fully charged! HELP! Does my car have an emergency cable under passenger wheel we'll? Does it require me to place car key in driver door lock?

Phil.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:30 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dertub
Engin lid won't open either. Key opener doesn't work as well... I have a fully charged portable battery.

AArrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggg.
That's what you've got to Love about these cars, it's NEVER that Simple!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:46 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a bump and a little help advice with 996 GT2s.
The hood would not open with the fuse box relay override (red stick) with jumper cables.
(I left the key in the ignition for a week. Ooops)
Luckily one can see the manual pull cable through the front rad cooling slits.
There is a hole in the black shroud ( right above the round hole for the tow hook eye) where you can just see the thin silver cable.
I used a metal fish tape with a hooked end ( a bent coat hook might work) to pull it out enough to grasp the cable and pull it with a needle nosed pliers.
Recharging the battery now.
I hope the immobiliser is not going to be problematic.

God I long for the old "analog" 911s.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Your immobilizer should be fine but you may want to keep an eye on the battery. If it's been completely discharged for some time, it may never recover.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:20 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default alternative solutions

i had a similar problem. The battery went kaput. giving the Red tab in the fuse box juice from another battery did not help either. I removed the wheel and the inside cowl trying to locate the steel cable to release the hood lock. For some reason i could not find it.

What i did alternatively was that i left the juice battery connected to the red tab in the fuse box with a earthing connected to the door hinge for about 30 minutes and retried. BINGO.. the hood open switch worked and i could manage to open the hood. Phew....

i have ordered a CTek Trickle charger to keep the battery in the pink of health.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:13 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by RajuPatel
What i did alternatively was that i left the juice battery connected to the red tab in the fuse box with a earthling connected to the door hinge for about 30 minutes and retried. BINGO.. the hood open switch worked and i could manage to open the hood. Phew....
Wow, I know we're powerful, but kudos to the earthling for making it work!

Have you seen the movie "Independence Day"? A new sequel is coming out in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:52 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2002 c2, I SIMPLY CAN'T F$#@%^&ING BELIEVE an $80,000 car doesn't have a manual cable to release the front and rear trunk lids. Porsche, you put the BATTERY in the front trunk, then you design a front trunk that CANNOT be opened when THE BATTERY IS DEAD from inside the car with a simple pull of a lever like every single F$#@%^ING CAR EVER MADE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME? Seriously, how dumb is that? I know there is a procedure that involves keys, and spare batteries, and fuses, and two priests, and animal sacrifice. Or I can take off a wheel and then a wheel liner to find a cable ....... to open the front truck? We are talking about the trunk right? WHERE THE F$#@%^ING BATTERY IS! You couldn't spend $12 total in parts on an $80,000 car to run a wire 8 feet? Rant over, that is all.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:16 PM
10/10ths
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The reason why is....

....it is lighter than running a steal cable and allows for a more "elegant" switch feel.

The Dodge Viper started this with electronic latch releases for its doors on the very first gen cars.

At least your Porsche didn't KILL you like this Corvette killed its owner due to the same design issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2253934

This is one reason why I like cars built before about 1995.

The latest BMWs and other such "High End" cars have all sorts of stupid nannies that don't allow you to open doors in gear and such.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:35 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just read the above article about the 2007 corvette and I sit here simply STUNNED that you cannot manually open the door of a 2007 corvette FROM INSIDE THE CAR (unless you happen to remember some secret procedure). I hope Chevrolet was sued and paid out hundreds of millions of dollars but of course that didn't happen.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:20 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

This is sort of an old thread and common problem. Porsche did provide a manual release cable but made it difficult to use. If you have any 996 please take the advice of many and opportunity NOW to locate and relocate the trunk release cable behind the front bumper. It really amounts to a 10 minute job and can save hours, if not days, of frustration. If you have not done this..JUST DO IT NOW!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 10/10ths
....it is lighter than running a steal cable and allows for a more "elegant" switch feel.

The Dodge Viper started this with electronic latch releases for its doors on the very first gen cars.

At least your Porsche didn't KILL you like this Corvette killed its owner due to the same design issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2253934

This is one reason why I like cars built before about 1995.

The latest BMWs and other such "High End" cars have all sorts of stupid nannies that don't allow you to open doors in gear and such.
I agree every car, regardless of how sophisticated, should have manual door latches inside. However, unless there was something unique about the 2007 Corvette's targa top, the owner could have manually opened the top to save his life. All he would have had to do is pull out the two latches on the driver and passenger side and then push the targa up and out. Yes, it would have damaged the car and ruined the top, but his life could have been saved. Or, at least he could have pushed it up and out half way to call for help. He was at a Waffle House for goodness sakes. There is always someone hangin' out in the parking lot.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Windshields are actually pretty easy to break from the inside....
Old 06-23-2016, 10:53 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
This is sort of an old thread and common problem. Porsche did provide a manual release cable but made it difficult to use. If you have any 996 please take the advice of many and opportunity NOW to locate and relocate the trunk release cable behind the front bumper. It really amounts to a 10 minute job and can save hours, if not days, of frustration. If you have not done this..JUST DO IT NOW!
I've read multiple threads about how frustrating it is to own a Porsche with electronic locks for the front/rear hoods and when the battery goes dead, you're screwed. I get it. But one thing people haven't considered in many of these threads is Porsche desire to help protect your investment by developing technology that secures your vehicle from theft via immobilizer which locks down the car if accessed by thieves. Is the technology perfect? No! The ol' expression, "Locks are only good to keep the *honest* people out" is very true in many situations, but still, Porsche's immobilizers have been an effective deterrent for most lesser thieves (if you get my drift).

My car even has LoJack installed which has probably been more effective in protecting (and recovering) vehicles than alarm systems.

Quick Reply: Battery dead, hood won't pop with jumper