996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Feedback requested for LN Engineering spin on oil filter adapter for 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:52 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake, I still don't understand how the plastic housing can fail. What's wrong with it, besides the fact that it won't work with your Accusump setup you sell? I think Porsche uses this or a similar plastic filter housing on most of their filter systems, no?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I use them for target practice.
That's the best use yet!

Jake,
What do you suggest as far as engine saving/protecting mods for a DD 996?

Should everyone spend the money to replace the IMS before it goes bad?

Low temp T-stat?

Or is it just as good to change the oil every 5K and only upgrade engine parts when it's convienent, ie. during another repair?

Thanks,
A
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jake, I still don't understand how the plastic housing can fail.
I'll post a couple of pics from one that failed when a piece of road debris contacted it, then you'll understand.. I like overkill Engineering, its hard to apply that to plastic components.

I have also had at least 1/2 dozen of them break or fracture during removal.

Unlike most I do my best to venture as far as possible from Porsche components when manipulating these engines. I'll bne happy when the only part we have to buy from the Dealer is a gasket set, because we have re-designed most every other component..

Medtech,
It would be best if I addressed these questions in private as it could end up coming off as a self promotion..
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Medtech,
It would be best if I addressed these questions in private as it could end up coming off as a self promotion..
Oh, right. Sorry, thought u were a sponsor.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurrecting this thread...

The Mobil M1-107 filter has six small inlet holes (see, e.g., this pic - link ).

Is this too restrictive, is the oil pressure going into the spin-on filter higher than with the origina Porsche setup on the M96 engine?

The cross-sectional area for the inlet gap between the Porsche OEM filter element and filter housing for the M96 would seem to be much greater than the total area of those six inlet holes on the M1107 spin-on filter (recommended for use with this adapter kit), if I recall correctly from when I last changed my oil several months ago. Is this an issue, was it considered in the design process for this LN Engineering filter adapter kit?

The Mobil M1107 spin-on filter is indeed applicable to recent 6.0 liter Corvette engines - do those GM engines run similar oil flow rates and oil pressures to the 3.6L M96 Porsche engines?

Another point of data collection - to anyone who has retrofitted this spin-on kit from LN Engineering, have you seen the oil pressure gauge read higher or act differently after the retrofit?

The adapter does look like a very nicely machined piece of equipment.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have acquired oil pressure data before and after the SPOFA installation and have noted no change, not even on my 3.8 big bore engine making 350 RWHP. This was acquired with my 28 channel data logger in two different sampling ports of the engine.

I gathered this oil pressure data for LN before the first SPOFA was ever sold, I was also concerned with the volume differences but after three years of experience with the units they have proven themselves to me. Every engine I build gets one, all 3 of my M96 powered Porsches have one and my Wife set 4 Land Speed Records in one weekend with an engine outfitted with one...
Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

I list several filters and will work, so that users have a choice.

I personally run the Napa Gold (Wix) filters.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Charles,
Any news on the adapt for the Gen 2 987s? I'd hate to see Jake run out of targets while there are so many waiting in the wings.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

They're under way. It only took my getting a 2010 Cayman S to finally get the project going :-)

Actually, they only needed a very simple modification, as the only difference was the filter depth on the factory setups, so we just had to extend the part of the adapter that is o-ringed around the oil return portion.

Quick Reply: Feedback requested for LN Engineering spin on oil filter adapter for 996