Sponsored by:

Anyone Ever Replace their Sunroof Controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Ever Replace their Sunroof Controls

When I bought my 99 C2, the owner told me the sunroof did not work.

The reason is that when he used to close the sunroof, the whole button would push up into the plastic casing (as if it was going into the headliner), so he decided to take the sunroof control unit apart, and crazy glue the the sides of the sunroof controls so that they would not be pushed upwards towards the headliner.

Well anyway, apparently the crazy glue seeped into the buttons, such that when you try to push the sunroof controls, they are like hard and frozen bricks -rock hard. The middle one that only tilts the sunroof up actually works, and then I have to use the key in the lock to close it.

I figure I may need to find this assembly in a salvage yard or something, but thought I 'd ask if anyone had any alternative ideas on how to fix this. I imagine the full assembly (with dome lights, etc) from the dealer may be more than a remanufactured engine!

Let me know of any thoughts.

Thanks,
Todd
99 C2
Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 PM
samk
Instructor

I have the exact same problem and I cleaned the switch contacts to no avail. I wonder what the switch will cost? I had to jumper the switch plug to operate it.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:43 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 600 installed. Its not just a button, Porsche only sells the whole control box underneath, which is pricey. Happened to me.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Thanks.

I called a salvage yard today and they wanted $250 for the assembly.

Where's that guy who blew his engine and wanted to part out his car???
Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Todd, I have a spare of the entire assembly. How does half the salvage price (plus shipping)sound?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 AM
samk
Instructor

Mark,

I will take if Todd dosn't.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

samk, I actually have two spare assemblies. I bought them when I rebuilt my car, after an interior fire. I never replaced mine, because it was not as damaged as I thought. One of the assemblies is out of a 99 996 and the panel is graphite grey to match the interior of the 99 cars. The other assembly is out of a later car and is the smooth black plastic.

I will sell either one for $125 plus shipping. I will keep one to replace mine, when I update my headliner. The light assembly is not included. You can reuse yours. It is held in with two metal clips and can be removed in about 30 seconds.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Todds911
Instructor

I'll take the one with the speckles (to match my 99 C2 interior), if still available. I assume on the other side it has electronic connections? I have not taken mine apart yet, so not sure what it looks like under there.

Thanks!

P.S. What are the two black alien eyes? Is that the temperature gauge for the climate control?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:08 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The 996 has a sunroof????

I NEVER used the sunroof in the 3+ years I had the car. My switches could have been broken and I would never have known it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Todd, the one with the speckles (99) is yours. The alien eyes say on the back.."sensor fur Innenraumuberwachung" or part number 996.618.210.02....it's all alien to me. I would guess alarm sensor...the temp sensor is on the passenger side of the dash. There is a connector for the sensor and the sunroof switch on the back. If you PM your address and full name, I will ship the part via UPS ground. You can send me a personal check and if you are not 100% happy with the part, I will tear it up.

Sam, I don't need the other sunroof switch, only the panel. If we can fiqure out how to remove the switch, without damage, I would be happy to sell you just the switch for less. I can always take it to the dealer and have them remove it for me. If you remove yours, you can probably explain it to me or send a picture. I hate breaking fragile, expensive, plastic Porsche parts.

Tim, if there was an affordable way to delete the sunroof, I would also. I see the Honda has a nice one.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 PM
samk
Instructor

I will take the switch. I will PM with my name and address. I don't know how to remove the switch since mine is loose and pushes up into he headliner if I push it.

Thanks you are a lifesaver, Sam
Old 07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
The 996 has a sunroof????

I NEVER used the sunroof in the 3+ years I had the car. My switches could have been broken and I would never have known it.
Really? I love sunroofs... I love open cars, If I did not like the look of the Coupe so much I might have done a cab... but I was a little sick of dealing with convertible tops after my Boxster S.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Marc, here is wifey's toy car. She lets me borrow it whenever I need a dose of sunshine and tire shredding torque (420 ft/lbs out of a 6 litre V-12). I'm spoiled. The top is never a problem, because we never put it up. I guess the sunroof feels like a compromise. If she didn't have the convertible, I would probably appreciate the sunroof more.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Mark, nice ride! V12! I always have my Targa for the "open feel" as well.
I would however not miss the sunroof if I had a GT3
Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Sam, rather than breaking the switch, while trying to remove it, you can have the newer black asembly. It is the newer style soft touch plastic. It has a couple miniscule scratches...they would not have prevented me from installing them in my car and I'm seriously ****. If you want the assembly on the left side of the picture, it's your's for $125, plus shipping.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Replace their Sunroof Controls