996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sprint power booster installed - +1 for sure

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LoL.. Maybe if there were a couple of chics thrown in the mix... I'll catch you at one of the local GTG's.

Originally Posted by Marlon
LOL!~ I'll split halfway - you bring your car to my house, and then try it

ba-da-bling!~
Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$329 for some increased throttle response = fail.
maybe for $39.99
Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Originally Posted by savannah996
maybe for $39.99
Which is probably the actual cost of this unit. Besides it is such a useless waste. Just my opinion... I also feel the 'sport' button in my e46 m3 is a joke.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Alright, that's two! Any manual 996's want to chime in?
The manual transmissions aren't likely to have DBW throttle opening rate "detuning/derated" in order to accomodate a reduction, "loss", of ATF line pressure with the engine at idle.

Most new, modern automatic transmissions no longer sustain line pressure at a high level when there is no need, simply a waste of fuel. The line pressure sustaining/holding accumulator has been eliminated in favor of real time control of the ATF line pressure.

Why pump ATF fluid in volume and at high pressure just to have it bypassed back into the sump...

Good luck with that Tip overhaul upcoming soon.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This handy-dandy Porsche Power Tube would probably work for such discriminating drivers as yourselves - heck, you could probably install it yourself between classes during your lunch break. And as a bonus, it probably falls well within your 39 dollar budget unless you plan to expand your paper route?

maybe for $39.99
Originally Posted by Fissionx
Which is probably the actual cost of this unit. Besides it is such a useless waste. Just my opinion... I also feel the 'sport' button in my e46 m3 is a joke.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Mathemagician
Instructor

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a 6-speed who could compare this to defeating the clutch delay switch.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 PM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Does it do anything on a 6 speed?

I dont really notice much of an issue.
Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Alright, that's two! Any manual 996's want to chime in?
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Makes it more difficult to modulate throttle at the track
Originally Posted by Mathemagician
I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a 6-speed who could compare this to defeating the clutch delay switch.
I can't comment on defeating the clutch switch, but I have installed one of these in a 996 6-speed, and I can tell you that it makes an incredible difference.

Aside from being more responisve to throttle input after clutch engagement, it also transforms heel-toe downshifts. If you guys have ever tried this, then you know how the delay makes timing it properly a bit awkward. Not so with the Sprint Booster...

It really makes the car alot more enjoyable and we've actually had customers say it aided in throttle modulation at the track instead of making it more difficult.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Willits (12-06-2020)
Old 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Mathemagician
Instructor

In a 996 6-speed, if you look under the dash with the clutch pedal up, you will see it presses on a button (black IIRC, maybe red). There is an audible click when you depress the clutch enough to disengage that button. In order to defeat it, all you need to do is tape the button so that when you press the clutch it does not release. It takes about 2 minutes to find the button and 30 seconds to tape it or untape it (unless you're skilled in the use of tape). The effect of doing this is similar to what SprintBooster users are describing and I'd like to hear about the possible impact of doing one vs the other or both.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Originally Posted by wwest
The manual transmissions aren't likely to have DBW throttle opening rate "detuning/derated" in order to accomodate a reduction, "loss", of ATF line pressure with the engine at idle.

Most new, modern automatic transmissions no longer sustain line pressure at a high level when there is no need, simply a waste of fuel. The line pressure sustaining/holding accumulator has been eliminated in favor of real time control of the ATF line pressure.

Why pump ATF fluid in volume and at high pressure just to have it bypassed back into the sump...

Good luck with that Tip overhaul upcoming soon.
wwest,

Are you saying by using the Sprint Booster it will possibly cause damage to a Tip trans?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:21 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA

This handy-dandy Porsche Power Tube would probably work for such discriminating drivers as yourselves - heck, you could probably install it yourself between classes during your lunch break. And as a bonus, it probably falls well within your 39 dollar budget unless you plan to expand your paper route?
Its not about budget home skillet. (or trying to insult people!)
imo. value for dollar is poor with this device, some people (obviously like you) just dont get it. and fyi, I work on a 911 ambulance.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by falcon7x7
wwest,

Are you saying by using the Sprint Booster it will possibly cause damage to a Tip trans?

Thanks!
I do believe that's the suggestion, it's a sound argument theoretically, assuming line pressure cuts or is very low at a stop/roll. I believe that assertion is true, the trans clunks much harder at a roll for 2-1, will verify. I'd like to see the long term results on other cars with the same trans, will search the Benz forums.

imo. value for dollar is poor with this device, some people (obviously like you) just dont get it. and fyi, I work on a 911 ambulance.
I agree that the pricepoint seems a bit much considering the implied components required to achieve the result, which is true of nearly all "hop up" parts on Porsches, but I must also say that the majority of $1000-$1500 chip tunes available have "improved throttle response" as the only detectable improvement. I for one have a very, very heavy right foot, so I'm not sure this would help me much!

Tim, you up for Photoshopping us a Porsche 911 ambulance for illustrative purposes?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Doesn't matter how 'heavy' your foot is - the egas systems senses throttle position and pedal application 'rate' and opens the throttle accordingly. The SB speeds up the 'rate' of desired pedal application to the throttle body - way faster than your foot. So if you have a heavy foot or a fast foot, the SB gives revs to you 'faster' even. The 996 has a doggy throttle opening rate or 'feel' anyway - the SB puts it closer to an analog olde-timey 'feeling' pedal/throttle system. In the olde days with linkages, bell-cranks and springs, you could achieve the same thing by tinkering with throttle cable cams, etc. BTW: But don't worry about it, some folks still belive the world is flat too

Originally Posted by htny
I do believe that's the suggestion, it's a sound argument theoretically, assuming line pressure cuts or is very low at a stop/roll. I believe that assertion is true, the trans clunks much harder at a roll for 2-1, will verify. I'd like to see the long term results on other cars with the same trans, will search the Benz forums.

I agree that the pricepoint seems a bit much considering the implied components required to achieve the result, which is true of nearly all "hop up" parts on Porsches, but I must also say that the majority of $1000-$1500 chip tunes available have "improved throttle response" as the only detectable improvement. I for one have a very, very heavy right foot, so I'm not sure this would help me much!

Tim, you up for Photoshopping us a Porsche 911 ambulance for illustrative purposes?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Doesnt'; matter where you work - it all comes down to disposable cash flow. Largely folks that can't or for any number of other reasons, cannot access a 'toy', treat said toys with disdain and dismissiveness or even more hilariously, hollow arguments about 'value for the dollar'. I challenge you work up and present a cogent and persuasive business case analysis to underpin your 'value' statement - why not? Because you can't - you don't have the facts nor the knowledge base to do so. Don;t sweat it and keep in mind that the world is flat.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I sure didn't mean to create such a stir when I posted this thread - only to comment on my positive experience w/ this mod. As I mentioned, I've done LOTS of mods to my P-car and this is the most significant upgrade besides the sport suspension. If a $1,000-1,500 ECU chip upgrade provides not much more than improved throttle response, then I'd have to say the SPB is the best bargain out there.

But I can't imagine any of the doubters here have ever invested in a chip upgrade, because that would be an enormous waste of money...
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt'; matter where you work - it all comes down to disposable cash flow. Largely folks that can't or for any number of other reasons, cannot access a 'toy', treat said toys with disdain and dismissiveness or even more hilariously, hollow arguments about 'value for the dollar'. I challenge you work up and present a cogent and persuasive business case analysis to underpin your 'value' statement - why not? Because you can't - you don't have the facts nor the knowledge base to do so. Don;t sweat it and keep in mind that the world is flat.
wow. are you one of "those" kinds of porsche owners...?

Quick Reply: Sprint power booster installed - +1 for sure