Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Over-rev hit 16,000rpm "money shift" ...possible?? (1999 C4)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Why would you force such a failure? What do you expect to learn?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Find the weakest link.
I force failures all the time, there is no better way to understand the engine.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I'll be forcing an engine failure in a few weeks on the dyno just like this and I'll let you know how it comes out.
This just screams out for a youtube video to be posted here!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
This just screams out for a youtube video to be posted here!
I have a video of IMS retrofit bearing testing... I held the engine at 7,000 RPM for 4 hours.. Only stopping to allow the dyno brake to cool. Coolant temps were sustained at 250F the whole time..

The headers glowed cherry red and white and made for good video.. I jsut have no time to edit it.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Jake, please do post that video, I'd love to see it, or any other destructive testing video or even some pictures!

To all;

I don't picture an M96 revving to 16k and staying intact. Most street motors let go long before that (10-12k being a good range before rods start breaking). The shop claiming 16k rpm is indeed an interesting point, but almost completely irrelevant to the problem at hand in my honest opinion.

Shifting to first is possible from higher rates of speed with the transaxles in the 996, though it would take more effort. People shift into 2nd from redline in 3rd by accident and don't notice it until releasing the clutch at nearly 100mph in all sorts of cars... In a 911 SC or some other 80s or earlier car, mis-shifting would take more work, but not with these better, modern transmissions. That said, I really don't think the issue here was a mis-shift. I think one would remember the sensation of releasing the clutch in first gear from 4th, particularly on an all wheel drive car(!).

Regardless of the above points/opinions(?), it's almost inconceivable for the failure to have been caused by work on the clutch/RMS.

Quick Reply: Over-rev hit 16,000rpm "money shift" ...possible?? (1999 C4)