996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN, INTERMIX IS FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

D55 you're my hero. Now get out and drive that thing! (Actually, type up that DIY and then get out and drive that thing!)
Old 07-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
Tippy you have been in the turbo world to long.....996 just thought I would refresh your memory.
I just want to get mine back together.........I need a nice amount of $$$$$
Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
sehorntx
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on a job well done.
I also have intermix - 8 months into it.
My engine is out, transmission off, and I will be going down same road, if I have the same problem. With luck and your help I may have a chance at similar repair!
All the best!
Tim
Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
If Dharn does a full write-up with pics, I vote for "Lifetime Membership".

That is definitely worthy.
+1
I think that is a great idea
Old 07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Rennlist members bowing and showing respect!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

He earned life time membership taking out the engine twice.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
weatherthedecision
Intermediate

As well as the title of "Intermix aficianado / extraordinaire" in my personal opinion.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I just want to get mine back together.........I need a nice amount of $$$$$
Waiting is the hardest part...I know the feeling but can imagine how clean your engine will be when done.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I actually ended up dropping the engine five times. The first to find the problem. Second when the pulse sendor turned out to be bad and I could not get it out. Third when the first expansion plug blew out of the camshaft. Fourth when the replacement expansion plug blew out, Fifth when the replacement camshaft had its expansion plug blow out. Got it down to a science now. Also, after the first time i only put it back together far enough to start the engine.

More details on this later, right now i am having too much fun driving the darn thing.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
weatherthedecision
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dharn55

More details on this later, right now i am having too much fun driving the darn thing.
As you should be. Enjoy every second of it, you deserve it!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ditto!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Great job, Dharn! As others have said, get out there and enjoy your car!!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually ended up dropping the engine five times. The first to find the problem. Second when the pulse sendor turned out to be bad and I could not get it out. Third when the first expansion plug blew out of the camshaft. Fourth when the replacement expansion plug blew out, Fifth when the replacement camshaft had its expansion plug blow out. Got it down to a science now. Also, after the first time i only put it back together far enough to start the engine.

By the 3rd time, that motor would of been a boat achor if it were mine......
Old 04-15-2021, 07:45 PM
Manho Kim
1st Gear

Default 1999 Porsche Carrera

Well about 11 months after I first discovered the intermix on my 2000 996 C4 Cab, and 2 ½ months after starting to drop the engine I took the first real drive today. Put about 50 miles on the car and everything seems fine. Total cost was about $2,000 in parts and repair of the cracked head (this included some misc parts unrelated to the cracked head) and a lot of hours of labor (but these days I am working pretty cheap).

I guess I will feel better after I put a couple of thousand miles on the car, but I am thrilled to be back in the driver’s seat of my 996 again. I had forgotten how much fun it is to drive this car, especially with the top down. The whole process of tearing down the engine, finding the problem and fixing it was quite an adventure, with a lot of side roads taken. But the final outcome seems to be good.

So those of you who have an intermix problem, TAKE HEART! When mine first happened I was told by many sources, on the boards and mechanics that the only fix was a new/reman engine. Well that is really not the case. I will do a longer post later recapping the whole process, but just wanted to let people know that the car is fixed and back on the road.

I also want to thank several people who helped and consulted on the project.

First, thanks to Doug Donsbach, who has a “twin” crack in the head of his car. We commiserated and he gave me help in fabricating tools, and the picture of his crack helped me find mine.

Thanks to Jake Raby at Flat 6. Jake is an incredibly nice guy, who has an unbelievable knowledge of these engines, and was extremely generous with his time and advice. I can’t say enough nice about Jake.

Also, a big thanks to 99firehawk, a tech with a lot of knowledge who was helpful in many ways. His time and help were really appreciated.
And thanks to Jeff Clark at Sunset Porsche. I have been getting my parts from Jeff/Sunset for several years and they are great.

Thanks to John Edwards/Costa Mesa R&D. They did the head repair and valve job on the 1-3 head. John knows the problem with the heads and has experience in fixing them. He was quick and very well priced to do the work.

Also thank to Rick and Ron at Valley Tool & Mold in Gilberts, IL who did the tapping and plugging of the cams. The expansion plugs on these proved to be a major challenge, but should never be a problem again.

There were a lot of others who helped and commented but I can’t name all of them.

So I AM ON THE ROAD AGAIN. If anyone else needs some help with their intermix problem I would be glad to help as much as possible, I have developed a little bit of expertise in this over the last few months.

Hi,

I found your posting here, and I desperately need your advice for my 1999 Porsche Carrera which has an intermix problem. What is the dust step to look for ? My mechanic could not find crack on the engine block. The coolant is going into the engine oil and the Temperature goes high after about 10-15 minutes. My email address is : naturaldubu@gmail.com

I thank you for your time.

Thanks

James Kim
Old 04-15-2021, 07:56 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Manho Kim
Hi,

I found your posting here, and I desperately need your advice for my 1999 Porsche Carrera which has an intermix problem. What is the dust step to look for ? My mechanic could not find crack on the engine block. The coolant is going into the engine oil and the Temperature goes high after about 10-15 minutes. My email address is : naturaldubu@gmail.com

I thank you for your time.

Thanks

James Kim
The crack is likely in the head, not the block and it usually occurs on bank one. Dharn is the expert on this issue and he'll probably chime in. It's fixable.

Quick Reply: BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN, INTERMIX IS FIXED