Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is a speed yellow 996 worth less than other 996s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

IMHO, I think this color you really have to like. I mean you should not have any doubts about it to happily have it and drive it. I really do not like yellow car, but the the shade of speed yellow and the shape of the 911changed my mind. This color grabbed me the first time I saw it and never considered any other color since.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:18 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, to tell you the true. I might say the same 20 years ago but now, I realized that I was wrong. a red/black or yellow/black 911 doesn't know how to nag nor complain. On the other side, a supermodel can spin your head around for several months, but after that, she is just a girl as any other girl.
Here, this might be a different story. If you own a bunch of supermodels to make money for you so you can buy a bunch of of 911s

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
I agree with you on the yellow or red with black looking very sexy... But lets see here:

Nope, sorry, I choose the supermodels.

Although in a perfect world, I'd be a 19 year old guy with a cobalt blue 996 filled with girls that look just like that.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:03 PM
fredcalero
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like SY
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 PM
SPD_GELB
Intermediate

FWIW, I spent close to a year looking at all colors of Porsches before I bought my SY 2003 Cab. Whenever I saw a SY it was 5k more for almost every body type. Finally I broke in an just paid the premium. Every time I saw a lineup of cars (no matter the type). The yellow cars always stood out.

Take this test: Go to anyplace where you see a parking lot full of cars (preferably from above). Glance quickly and look away. Ask yourself how many blue cars do you remember?, red?, black?, white? Now think, how many Yellow cars? I bet you can even remember where it was parked!

Next question... Are you the guy in that car? Do you want to stand out or do you want the modest Porsche that can hide in a crowd. For everyone that doesn't really know you, the first impression is that you are full of yourself and want everyone to look at you. For your friends, they know that 'you know what you like, and you worked hard to get it'. No compromises, get what YOU want!!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Saw a new 997 Turbo near Carson City in GTR orange. Owner said he paid extra....

Originally Posted by soverystout
I know that sounds like an odd question but please bear with me.

First off, I like speed yellow. I know it is not the color for everyone. Do you think because the color is a 'no go" for a large part of the population that it might demand a lower price?

Many folks buy such a wild colored car for the "look at me"factor. I'm not one of those. I like it because it's different.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Jim

to get car in color he wanted.

Have pics. Will post if asked. Car is absolutely a stunner in orange.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Barry Lenoble
Instructor

Hey,

Back in the spring when i was in the market for a 996 my budget put me at the low end of the price range. I would not buy a black car because they are too hard to keep clean. All other colors was acceptable. It seems like about half the cars were black and most of the rest were some variant of silver. There were a decent amount of the dark blue. I saw very few red, white, or yellow cars.

Personally I love the yellow, even more so when the interior has the yellow seat stitching. I was lucky that I found a yellow car that met my criteria.

Barry
Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitey||C4S
Cliff Notes: the market is smaller, but the value is high to that market
I believe that hits the nail on the head.
The market is much much smaller. Now all of the Mortgage brokers, realestate agents, wallstreet types and scores of others are no longer in the market for their "fun car" because of the state of things. The only consumers left in the fold right now are those that are truly addicted to their vise.... and employed.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:02 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

I LOVE the yellow. Same goes for white and red too
Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Jim Griffin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a yellow 04 C4S Cab Tip Black supple leather, and just love it, would not have a black or dark car. Had a black Boxster and after 2 years the paint chips in the front were visable and ugly, Black was hard to keep clean and never waxed right. My yellow does not show chips or swirls,always looks clean, doesn't show any dirt and shines. I was told that speed yellow and white is the rarest of the stock C4S Carrera colors. That only 5% of 04 C4Ss were yellow and only 10 were Speed Yellow, Cab, Tip. Just check AutoTrader for yellow cars and you will know how rare they are. As far as the Tip, with the paddle shifters, I don't miss the clutch, especially in freeway traffic and on hills. The shifts are quite quick with the paddle shifters, however I have driven some of the old Tips w/0 Paddles and it is a little mundain, not the same experience.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm from NYC, and have seen way too many yellow taxi cabs to think of buying a yellow car!
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (11-14-2021)
Old 07-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Don
Besides, Dad always told me not to buy a used car because of its color. He told me to check out everything about the prospective purchase...mechanical, body, history, etc...and then if I still liked it to stand back about 20 feet, look at it, and ask myself if I could live with the color. So, my Targa is Seal Gray.

But, I still prefer yellow.
Our dads must know each other. I got the same lecture 30 years ago when I was looking at a green celica gt lift. He concluded that i wouldnt be able to look at the green car, and made me pass on it. I think he was right, i liked the biege one i got much better.

As for the OP, yes it is worth less, as is a brown car. I know this for a fact. When I told my wife i wanted to buy a used M3 she said "go for it, but what color is it?" when i told her yellow she asked if i was getting a screaming good deal because of the color, and if not a screaming good deal I should pass on the car and find one in a good color.

so i guess yellow may be worth less to a happly married man living by the creedo "she who must be obeyed is always obeyed"

On the way home from the purchase I dropped it off at the body shop so they could polish the paint a little more so it would look its best when we got home. she prefers to be seen in the blue astra over the yellow m3. my 6 year old loves the yellow.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i mentioned before, the yellow has grown on me. It is funny when i am driving, you always see the kids looking at your car. I wondered why. Well, it occurred to me that when i was a kid, i dreamed about porsches pretty much every day. So, as a kid when you see one, you always look at it until it's out of sight. When it's a yellow one, they stop in their tracks. The wife loves driving it also.

There is a back road that i take going home and once in a while i pass a yellow 987
Old 11-14-2021, 01:59 PM
PorschyGalore
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by deckman
For Speed Yellow lovers, they would pay more like Tippy said. For most buyers though there's no way they would ever consider buying that color. In general, unusual colors reduce the value of the car, and Porsches are not an exception.
Incorrect. Silver and black Porsches adorn the 4 sale sites. Rare colours sell first and for more. Fact. That’s why the only ones left are black and silver…
Old 11-14-2021, 03:18 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

you created an account just to make that post??

BTW i love speed yellow
Old 11-14-2021, 03:44 PM
PorschyGalore
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
you created an account just to make that post??

BTW i love speed yellow
correct. I joined the party at just the right time to correct the colour blind folk 😎

Quick Reply: Is a speed yellow 996 worth less than other 996s?