Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is a speed yellow 996 worth less than other 996s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is a speed yellow 996 worth less than other 996s?

I know that sounds like an odd question but please bear with me.

First off, I like speed yellow. I know it is not the color for everyone. Do you think because the color is a 'no go" for a large part of the population that it might demand a lower price?

Many folks buy such a wild colored car for the "look at me"factor. I'm not one of those. I like it because it's different.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would probably pay $5k more for one, especially an aero or C4S.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

For Speed Yellow lovers, they would pay more like Tippy said. For most buyers though there's no way they would ever consider buying that color. In general, unusual colors reduce the value of the car, and Porsches are not an exception.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deckman
For Speed Yellow lovers, they would pay more like Tippy said. For most buyers though there's no way they would ever consider buying that color. In general, unusual colors reduce the value of the car, and Porsches are not an exception.
+1

Personally, I like the color.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I believe that common colors are more worthless,--silver, or a variation of silver,--so common that it's value is diminished due to commonality. It's for the ultimate conservative Porsche driver,--an oxymoron.
The following users liked this post:
ziptie007 (12-03-2021)
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I happen to like speed yellow quite a bit. I didn't really consider the color until I saw mine, and then I was hooked.
ziptie007 (12-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Bought an 08 Cayman S in SY. Nice color for a Porsche. My ....

Originally Posted by soverystout
I know that sounds like an odd question but please bear with me.

First off, I like speed yellow. I know it is not the color for everyone. Do you think because the color is a 'no go" for a large part of the population that it might demand a lower price?

Many folks buy such a wild colored car for the "look at me"factor. I'm not one of those. I like it because it's different.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Jim
I think SY 993's one of the best looking cars ever.

My 03 Turbo's artic silver which is a nice color but sort of well less exciting than SY. My Boxster's lapis blue which is nice but as dark a color as I'd care to own although I considered a basalt black Cayman or Carrera before I bought Turbo. (SY Cayman destroyed in accident shortly after I bought car which is why I was looking at various cars.)

I would have bought a SY Turbo if I found one I liked. I considered a lapis blue one down in LV. Oh, found a very very beautiful Carmona Red Carrera 4S that I would have bought in a heartbeat but held back cause it had Tip. Not saying Tip bad but I've always had a stick and I wasn't sure I was ready for a Tip. But the car was simply beautiful. Black leather interior and it had the dark wood package. Lovely car. And frankly not a common color. I kind of like that. I like macadamia brown too and spotted a forest green (?) Carrera the other day. Nice color. Heck these cars look good in any color!

Buy the color you like, and buy a good car under the color. If you like color when (if) you go to sell someone else will like it too as long as you keep car in good condition.

As for price, value, selling I'd argue color of car I'm selling the best color and the price justified by the color of the car in part.

If I was buying a car I'd try to knock price down cause of the "odd" or less popular or desirable color of the car the seller was offering.

For a used car buyer generally color less important than price and of course condition.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

When I was selling my midnight blue 993 I learned black was worth more and much easier to sell. So of course I bought a blue 996 !
Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave!
Well I happen to like speed yellow quite a bit. I didn't really consider the color until I saw mine, and then I was hooked.
+1
I was looking at some more sedate colors, but the wife insisted that if I get a Porsche it better be in a bold color.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The salesman will tell you that a bright color such as red, yellow, etc. is harder to resell and therefore worth less at trade in.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they will, and then they will also tell prospective buyers that a red, yellow is much more desirable than the bland colors and thus worthy of a premium

Originally Posted by dertub
The salesman will tell you that a bright color such as red, yellow, etc. is harder to resell and therefore worth less at trade in.
damage98MO (10-22-2022)
Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to have a yellow one - they are fairly uncommon. If there was a yellow one and a red one side-by-side for sale and they both had the same interior and other features, personally I would lean towards the yellow one. In my case, all they had was red + it had a newly installed reman. I DO like the red though - they are the fastest ones that Porsche made
damage98MO (10-22-2022)
Old 07-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Your burnout animat-icon is yellow though. Besides everyone knows white Porsches..

Originally Posted by Marlon
I would love to have a yellow one - they are fairly uncommon. If there was a yellow one and a red one side-by-side for sale and they both had the same interior and other features, personally I would lean towards the yellow one. In my case, all they had was red + it had a newly installed reman. I DO like the red though - they are the fastest ones that Porsche made
are the fastest.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Neighbor's got a midnight blue 993 Turbo and I thought it was black...

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
When I was selling my midnight blue 993 I learned black was worth more and much easier to sell. So of course I bought a blue 996 !
for the longest while. Never saw it out in the sun, always parked under carport and most of the time with a cover over car. But the other day spotted car out on the road in the sun. Beautiful color and car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
Originally Posted by Paul 996
Yes they will, and then they will also tell prospective buyers that a red, yellow is much more desirable than the bland colors and thus worthy of a premium
Ain't THAT the truth!

Quick Reply: Is a speed yellow 996 worth less than other 996s?