Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Becker iPod cable question...Problem Found!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM
lotecredneck
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Becker iPod cable question...Problem Found!!

I just installed the iPod cable I ordered from Becker for my '02 Cab and while the audio plays fine, the iPod does not charge. I don't get the flashing battery icon that I normally do. The iPod I am using is a "Mini" and is supposed to be compatible. Has anyone run into this and what would you check? I called Becker and they said they would send another one, but if I can find the issue I will stop them from sending another.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by lotecredneck; 07-02-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
rudy1024
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lotecredneck
I just installed the iPod cable I ordered from Becker for my '02 Cab and while the audio plays fine, the iPod does not charge. I don't get the flashing battery icon that I normally do. The iPod I am using is a "Mini" and is supposed to be compatible. Has anyone run into this and what would you check? I called Becker and they said they would send another one, but if I can find the issue I will stop them from sending another.

Thanks,

Tony
Tony,

I ran into the same problem. If you have the newer 4 Gen Nano, it's a 5V device - most of those older adapters were made for the 12V devices. Scosche makes an adapter that steps down to 5V. Pop that thing in and everything works out fine. I've seen them at Target for about $25 (although I paid $40 at an audio shop)...

Rudy
Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you are facing the firewire vs usb charging dilemna. Newer Istuff uses usb charging.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
lotecredneck
Advanced

I am using an older "Mini" which doesn't use the 5v charge like the iPod touch and iPhone. I know my touch won't charge from this port, but Becker told me the mini should without a problem.

Tony
Old 06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

If you bought the Becker cable that uses the Blue connector on the back of the radio, that cable only supports audio in, not any type of power to the iPod.

I would suggest that in addition to the Becker audio cable that you need a power adapter like the Blitzsafe Universal iPod adapter.

This adapter sits between the Becker cable and the iPod/iPhone/iTouch, and provides charging as well as pausing the device when the car is turned off. It supports both firewire and USB charging circuits for all iPods.

This is what I have installed in my 02, and it works very well. It needs a switched and unswitched power source, and for that I tapped into the telephone wiring connector under the front lower console.

The Blitzsafe adapter also has an excellent ground loop isolator built-in so there is no audio whine.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
lotecredneck
Advanced

I bought the one that has both the blue and green connector. The becker website has this description:

"The Ipod specific cable does NOT require any type of radio alteration. This cable allows for a direct connect option for adding an IPOD to your current radio. It also automatically charges the Ipod.

This cable does NOT work with the 2nd generation Itouch or Iphone. "

Tony
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

In that case, you need One of these adapters.

This converts a firewire power source to a USB power source. This is what I was using before the Blitzsafe adapter was available.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
lotecredneck
Advanced

That adaptor is for the touch 2nd generation and Iphone 3g. I am using an old Mini.

Tony
Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 PM
lotecredneck
Advanced

This is what I am using.............

Old 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lotecredneck
This is what I am using.............

Maybe the iPorsche kit may be the one to use - it comes with separate power and ground wires that you would splice into existing power and ground (the ground has a good sized choke for isolation) and a separate blue plug to go into the back of the CDR-220...

Rudy
Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Have you tried your setup with another older iPod to see if you get the same results?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Becker cable works and charges both my older Ipod Video and my new Ipod Classic. No problems.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM
lotecredneck
Advanced

Well, it's getting stranger now... Becker sent me a new cable and I plugged it in and it still doesn't charge. I then plugged my daughters classic 80gb into this cable and no charge, but like my mini it would play fine. Now neither unit will charge from any of our car chargers, but they charge just fine from the usb or a home charger! My daughters was charging fine from her car charger just before i plugged it into the cable from Becker, and when it put it back on her car charger it won't charge.

I have checked and I have 12v at pin 19/20 and ground at pin 29/30 on all three of our car chargers. I am scared to plug another iPod into either cable if it is in fact damaging the iPod. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 PM
lotecredneck
Advanced

Default Problem found....Now What?

After really being puzzled by the issues I was having with the iPod cable from Becker I discovered the problem. The original cable Becker sent me has the polarity reversed on the power leads. This has fried two (2) iPods! They had me connect another iPod to it to confirm it wasn't charging and when it didn't they sent another cable. I downloaded a pinout of the dock connector and compared the cables and the original cable had the polarity reversed.

One of the iPods is damaged is my daughters and the other mine. The reason they would charge from a home charger was they were charging throught the 5 volt firewire terminals and not the 12 volt terminals.

What should I ask them to do? They are the ones that built the cable incorrectly. I installed it per their instructions. I now will have to send both iPods to Apple for repair. Should I ask them to pay for it? I am a motorcycle dealer and when we make a mistake we have to make it good and have many times!

Thanks for the input.

Tony

Quick Reply: Becker iPod cable question...Problem Found!!