Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Controlling tiptronic without the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 PM
George993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controlling tiptronic without the engine?

Hi, I'm planning to replace engine with a non-Porsche one but considering keeping the tiptronic (I've done it with a manual transmission - relatively easy, but it's a first time I'm looking at tiptronic).

I'm not really familiar with the 996 tiptronic - I understand it's lockable in all gears except 1 and has a control unit which is separate from the engine. If I'm using my own non-Porsche engine, can I rig the controller so it's fully operating under only the driver's gearshift controller? Has it got any manual overwrite or test modes I can use? Has anyone figured out the controller's programming to re-do it? Is it using for example an external engine RPM or other pickup which could be re-installed on another engine to feed the RPM info to the transmission etc? Can it be easily just locked into any gear? Any pointers appreciated

thanks

George
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are two different versions of the transmission, one from 99-01 and another from 02+

which year is the car?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, this would be a nightmare and a half!

To me, it is not worth it.

Are you planning on an air-cooled or another make all together?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM
George993
Intermediate

It's 2002 - is the tiptronic transmission difference a big one between the years? I'm planning to put in another make of the engine all together. I've just run into a nice and cheap 2002 with a blown engine and a tiptronic. I've been planning to find one with a manual transmission which I can at least understand :-), but since this one has presented itself.... maybe it would work if someone has already figured out how to make the tiptronic work in a stand alone mode.

(I could probably handle a nightmare, but nightmare and a half may be too much :-)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

The 02 to current are a totally different transmission and controller than the 99-01

It will not hold a gear at redline in stock form unless you have some heavy steering and throttle dialed into a turn. In a straight line, it will always upshift around 7200, 1-2 2-3 all the way up

They are good transmissions, but they are not commonly re-programmed in the Porsche. The only guys I know of that made software for this transmission were GIAC, and I'm not sure if they ever sold it.

Given what your goals are, I would pass, as the torque rating on any carrera tip is not high enough to reliably put down a lot of power. Wait on a car with a six speed (even then it's not easy, but you'll be able to pull it off with a decent machine shop for adapter plates etc, most people who say they have transplanted a motor have done it with a G50 variant not a G96)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I assumed you were thinking SBC, but given your handle maybe you are trying to go aircooled. In that case it might just work power wise, but drop the guys at giac a ring and see if they can give you some insight into what is possible with software for the transmission controller, see if it can do what you need it to.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
George993
Intermediate

Sounds quite complicated, but before I move on and keep on looking for a car with manual transmission, how about replacement of tiptronic with a manual transmission? (I assume I could sell the tiptronic to offset some of the costs). Have people done it before? Are the mounts/driveshaft couplings etc for the G96 similar to the older G50? Would G50 fit into 996 (that would actually be perfect for me from the mechanical perspective, but for the speedometer etc hookup would it be another problem?). Or is the rod-shifted G50 tranny a non-starter in cable shifted 996 world?

BTW, regarding the handle - the 993 is still my favorite Porsche and my current "daily driver". I have only owned various air cooled 911s from 70s, 80s and 90s, but now is the time to consider something more modern.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

RE: G50, honestly the kit car market absorbs so many of the good G50s out there that I'm not sure you'll find one cheap. You should talk to a guy who's doe a bunch of conversions. PM me your email address and I'll send you some contact info.

Best,
Hans

Quick Reply: Controlling tiptronic without the engine?