996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Glacier White Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

well, I know there can be a problem, but I've never had an issue.

I've now had 4 different set of parts sprayed absent of the car and never had a match issue. My dealer says that he can match glacier white in his sleep and to be honest he has done every time. Each time he has painted the part without the car and I have fitted it later and never had an issue.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
well, I know there can be a problem, but I've never had an issue.

I've now had 4 different set of parts sprayed absent of the car and never had a match issue. My dealer says that he can match glacier white in his sleep and to be honest he has done every time. Each time he has painted the part without the car and I have fitted it later and never had an issue.
Great... its the always me problem... Maybe I need the name of your dealer so my paint guy can call him. I need to have this redone which just pisses me off...

BTW I love your car.. great color!!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks great. Who would have imagined this much trouble with WHITE!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 AM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Great... its the always me problem... Maybe I need the name of your dealer so my paint guy can call him. I need to have this redone which just pisses me off...
I can't tell you how many times I've felt the same way! Did the shop tell you in advance that they may not be able to match it properly? Did you pay via credit card? I've wondered why Porsche doesn't produce more Glacier cars (it's a true bright white).
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmla
I can't tell you how many times I've felt the same way! Did the shop tell you in advance that they may not be able to match it properly? Did you pay via credit card? I've wondered why Porsche doesn't produce more Glacier cars (it's a true bright white).
No they actually took the gas cap door off the vehicle and took it to the paint mixer to match. I spoke to the painter yesterday and he understands and is going to redo it... But having the sides painted while on the vehicle (they cannot be removed now) is another challange.. Eric from bumper plugs had no problem painting and matching the bumperettes without having the car so I do not know why this is such a problem....
Old 06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

PM sent.

I agree that Glacier white is an great color. I like it a lot more than current shades of white.

I'm amazed that there would be an issue here. Glacier white is a pretty pure white, but it does have a blue tint, so I can image how it can be tricky to match.

People think that white is easy to match, but there are very many shades of white and they are look great until you put them side by side and realize the differences.

It's good that your dealer is open to fixing the issue, but I do have concerns that they didn't get it right first time.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

one other thought is that there are 2 Glacier Whtie codes - 3AU is mine. I think 3AY is the other, but I might be wrong. My understanding is the difference between waterborne and solventborne application. I hope that your dealer got the right one.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

PM sent.

I agree that Glacier white is an great color. I like it a lot more than current shades of white.

I'm amazed that there would be an issue here. Glacier white is a pretty pure white, but it does have a blue tint, so I can image how it can be tricky to match.

People think that white is easy to match, but there are very many shades of white and they are look great until you put them side by side and realize the differences.

It's good that your dealer is open to fixing the issue, but I do have concerns that they didn't get it right first time.
Agree with the concerns---also that they mounted the sides and front bumper...Ouch..
Old 06-30-2009, 03:39 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

one other thought is that there are 2 Glacier Whtie codes - 3AU is mine. I think 3AY is the other, but I might be wrong. My understanding is the difference between waterborne and solventborne application. I hope that your dealer got the right one.
Thanks for the info. I called your guy also. Chris was out but I spoke to George.. he was going to look up what they did with you car and email me back. This way I will have some better information when I get it redone..
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Thanks for the info. I called your guy also. Chris was out but I spoke to George.. he was going to look up what they did with you car and email me back. This way I will have some better information when I get it redone..
Good luck - they're good guys and I hope that they can help you out. As I said, the match they did on mine with without the car being present and I thing they got a great match. I will also say that the bumperplugs, etc, that I got from Eric were an equally good match, so it can be done. I think it might help if you're used to Porsche paint formulas.

Let me know what you hear from Holberts.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Wayne, I'll bet Eric could get an exact match for a pair of bumperettes, too!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Wayne, I'll bet Eric could get an exact match for a pair of bumperettes, too!
oh, so you ARE still around.

Bite me!

Sorry I've not had a chance to respond to your email. Believe it or not this is my first visit to RL since before the weekend and I've not done email since Thursday.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Good luck - they're good guys and I hope that they can help you out. As I said, the match they did on mine with without the car being present and I thing they got a great match. I will also say that the bumperplugs, etc, that I got from Eric were an equally good match, so it can be done. I think it might help if you're used to Porsche paint formulas.

Let me know what you hear from Holberts.
Eric did my bumperettes and they were a perfect match---I am just getting more wired on this....
Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

oh, so you ARE still around.

Bite me!

Sorry I've not had a chance to respond to your email. Believe it or not this is my first visit to RL since before the weekend and I've not done email since Thursday.
I love you too, Wayne!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
I love you too, Wayne!

I only insult those I love.,.. well, that's what I tell my wife.

Quick Reply: Glacier White Paint Question