Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why are all stick shift cars "H" shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Can you clarify this for me? I ride a motorcycle and think that sequential shifting is vastly better shifting. Indeed, I love the idea in a car of clutch in (assuming that you aren't driving a PDK), two taps forward, clutch out, and bingo, I just dropped from 5th to 3rd gear. As for stop and go traffic, pulling the lever on an H gearshift to the neutral detante is easy, yes. But, so is pushing the lever all the way to the N.
I stalled the bike out once because I was coming from 50mph to a stop and got the bike into first instead of neutral. I shouldn't have taken my hand off the clutch but there was something serious distracting me in the traffic--don't remember what it was--so I took my hand off thinking I was in neutral. Outside of that, it just kind of bugs me having to go up and down and up and down.

But yeah, bigger concern is the synchros. Going from 6th gear to a stop means you have to engage each gear on the way down, and the synchros will just think you're a *****.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave!
But yeah, bigger concern is the synchros. Going from 6th gear to a stop means you have to engage each gear on the way down, and the synchros will just think you're a *****.
Love that last sentence! Got a good chuckle there.

Quick Reply: Why are all stick shift cars "H" shifters?