996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RAIN DAMAGE, NEW ENGINE: May this be a warning to you

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:02 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

i had my doubts about this whole story, but in my mind if 99firehawk says it is possible, then I believe it is possible. I have never seen a post of his that was based on anything but real world experience.

I guess I am just bummed that this story didn't come out about 4 years ago when my engine hydro locked on it's own due to a cracked cylinder wall. I would have LOVED to pay my $500 deductible rather than the $10K+ I paid out of pocket.

I even thought about limping it into a bad neighborhood and leaving the keys in it, but I figured i would end up in jail somehow.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Being one who has hydro-locked 2 motors (not Porsche motors), it doesnt take much water in the M96 to destroy it.

Maybe half a cup or so of water should fill the chamber.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, it takes VERY little water to hydrolock.

I was at the shop yesterday and they fired up my engine. IT WAS HORRIBLE. It sounded like a leprechaun was inside my engine trying to break out with a hammer. I about cried...

Good news though: they are NOT totaling the car. My insurance valued my 99 911, 75000 at 25,600 which I thought was damned fair. Additionally, they stated that they'd repair it up to the FULL value, which is great.

The total estimated cost of repairs: $22,000. Engine, brake booster, brake ABS unit...
Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by Navy'sporsche

Good news though: they are NOT totaling the car.
Good News?
Negotiate replacement cost. (total)
Start Looking, great time to buy.
Congratulations.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

Well I say good news because I am sentimentally attached to the car. First Porsche, dream as a kid etc etc.

I guess I have visions of being that guy "that owned his Porsche for 50 years.."

Plus I'm getting a new engine from Porsche w/ warranty..
Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

Well my course of action is being refined, but Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta has agreed to work with me to swap in a 3.6 X51. The engine is actually about 1,000 cheaper than a 3.4 reman and the dealership is willing to negotiate with Porsche to pay for my core. That's exciting!!!

However, I wanted to post on behalf of Jake Raby from Flat 6 Innovations. He was in fact the first thought I had when my engine went in the tank. I spoke with Jake over the phone and his willingness to discuss every aspect of his engine program, the parts, the exact nature, including the limitations, of his testing data was appreciated.

All I can say is, if you can afford (both time and money) to have an engine built by Jake, by all means do it!! I have been a VW enthusiast for years and knew of Jake's work through that venue. He only sells quality products, builds quality engines, and personifies the "relationship" between owner and builder that can be so rewarding. I regret that I cannot take part in this...

Furthermore, as a mechanical engineer that both develops and tests products, I can attest to his knowledge and understanding of legitiment development, not just "draw it on a napkin, bolt it on, and see what happens".

Ultimately, I had to choose a different route simply because I could not afford the time involved in having an engine built by Jake for my daily driver but I wanted to give a shout out to him regardless. Please contact him if you're interested in his program, without going over details here it is very exciting. Thanks Jake! Hopefully my 4-cam project comes together right??
Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Wow, that's pretty kick ***. Keep us posted.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

FYI 3.6 X51 deal didnt work out, new 3.4 going in next week.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because the core needs to be the same of the engine being purchased?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right, it takes VERY little water to hydrolock.

I was at the shop yesterday and they fired up my engine. IT WAS HORRIBLE. It sounded like a leprechaun was inside my engine trying to break out with a hammer. I about cried...

Good news though: they are NOT totaling the car. My insurance valued my 99 911, 75000 at 25,600 which I thought was damned fair. Additionally, they stated that they'd repair it up to the FULL value, which is great.

The total estimated cost of repairs: $22,000. Engine, brake booster, brake ABS unit...
Can you could negotiate with the insurance so that you pay the difference between the cost of an 'iffy' Porsche reman and Jake's magic motor???
Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

No the deal with the 3.6 X51 was both prohibitively expensive (30,000) and ultimately not the direction that I wanted to take with the car. To do it correctly (in my opinion) required the swapping of a lot of electrical components including DME, HVAC & ABS controllers, wire harness, etc.

The insurance company had no problem with me putting in any kind of engine I wanted. However, being my daily driver, I couldn't wait till October to have it installed.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

However, being my daily driver, I couldn't wait till October to have it installed.
I failed to mention that I do have a loaner 3.4 engine :-)
Old 06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The insurance company had no problem with me putting in any kind of engine I wanted. However, being my daily driver, I couldn't wait till October to have it installed.
Rental car?
Isn't it worth it?

Quick Reply: RAIN DAMAGE, NEW ENGINE: May this be a warning to you