996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure sender unit replacement - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

They were different size on mine. One was a skinny spade terminal, and one was a fatter one. You'll see on the new sender that there's a "G" and something else that's 2 letters - like "KN". G is the gauge and the other one is the idiot light.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I will take a look once the new one arrived.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the last photo in the first post on this thread - the red/green wire goes to the "G" terminal, and they are different sizes.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

I received the oil pressure sender just now and the plugs are in two different size. Got it thru thepartsbin.com for $58.40 shipped and it is a genuine porsche parts. =)

Will find time to install it this weekend.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:48 AM
adg44
Instructor

So I just dropped my car off at the dealer to have this fixed, as they needed to realign my car and they gave me a loaner, so I just told them to replace the sending unit as well for the quoted price of $213. They charge $85 for the part plus 1 hour of labor. Then I just got a call that said because I have a sport exhaust they have to remove the vacuum canister, and because of my aftermarket intake they need to remove that as well, so the cost now is roughly $300.

I told them that they should be able to access the sending unit from the bottom of the car, but they said they don't know how, and that it's some special way that is not Porsche trained.

So I'm going to order the part and put my car up on jack stands and replace it from the bottom. That way I don't have to mess with the intake and vacuum canister either. Just a heads up to anyone else that my have a sport exhaust which will make it very hard to replace from the top of the engine, rather than from the bottom.

- Anthony
Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
So I just dropped my car off at the dealer to have this fixed, as they needed to realign my car and they gave me a loaner, so I just told them to replace the sending unit as well for the quoted price of $213. They charge $85 for the part plus 1 hour of labor. Then I just got a call that said because I have a sport exhaust they have to remove the vacuum canister, and because of my aftermarket intake they need to remove that as well, so the cost now is roughly $300.

I told them that they should be able to access the sending unit from the bottom of the car, but they said they don't know how, and that it's some special way that is not Porsche trained.

So I'm going to order the part and put my car up on jack stands and replace it from the bottom. That way I don't have to mess with the intake and vacuum canister either. Just a heads up to anyone else that my have a sport exhaust which will make it very hard to replace from the top of the engine, rather than from the bottom.

- Anthony
Oh brother, that vac canister is like one bolt to move out of the way.... this isnt rocket science.... frikin stealers.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 PM
adg44
Instructor

IS 996-606-203-02 the correct part number for an 04 C2? I think this superseded 996-606-203-00...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I guess is you want to try to do it from the top you could. And I have the sport exhaust and you would have to remove the canister. But it is so much easier to go in from the bottom with a crowsfoot wrench, why bother?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM
adg44
Instructor

Just a note to everyone that Carquest can get this part. My cost was $56 and they will have it for me tomorrow by 9am for pickup.
The following users liked this post:
RazorKQ (09-28-2020)
Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM
sa321
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 5 cent contribution, crow foot design wrench didnt work on my car as it was tightened so hard i had to use hammer. anyhow, put new one in and it started reading 5 even on idle. connections doublechecked and correct (in any case it is impossible to confuse as the two connectors are different size). had to drive and rev it up to 7k before pressure reading started going up and down. now it is fine.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deckman
I am driving with a wrench in my engine bay. But believe me it isn't going to fall out.
Can I borrow your wrench?

Has it ever come out of there? Maybe messing with it from the bottom would get it out of there. I imagine the wrench spread and started rounding the nut section of the sending unit making it a tight fit.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Mike_Yi
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the exact location of that sending unit? Is it lined up with any of the intake runners, or coil packs? If so, which one? If not, which is it between?

I've got a Boxster and want to add an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I've been told that the same I can just remove the plug and install the sensor in the same location as the 996. I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right place before I go removing any plug on the cam cover.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Mike_Yi,
If you can't see the pics in post #1 of this thread, join and then you will be able to see the pics. The sending unit is the shiny can with two connectors on top. The pic is a 911 showing the sender on the passenger side of the car toward the front. Yours will be on the drivers side towards the rear. Take off your service cover and it should be easier to get to than on the 911.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
whall0733
8th Gear

Mike,

I don't know if you were successful in instaling the after-market system or not, it's been a couple of months since your post. But you'll find the oil pressure transmitter located in the same position as the Carrera - forward on the passenger side of the engine. Also, the transmitter has only one wire attached and is covered with a black rubber "boot". The existing wire goes to the oil pressure "idiot light". You would need to run a second wire from the second terminal on the Carrera oil pressure transmitter forward to the after-market oil presssure gauge. The oil pressure transmitter is easily accessed from the top of the car.

Bill

Last edited by whall0733; 05-29-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Add info.
The Daddio (08-29-2021)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 PM
TSC85
Intermediate

Quick addition, I just completed this job today and it was a breeze. By the way, it was very easy to get it off from the top side, and on (although the bottom was easier). I used a 19mm Crow socket attached to a swivel, and several long extensions (for the top, only one for the bottom).

Also, you don't have to remove the rear wheel at all, although removing the heat shield (2 10mm bolts) made the job so simple a cave man could do it, lol.

PS for those of you who might do what I did, learn from my mistakes. You don't have to unscrew the top leads for the sensor, they just pull off. (I unscrewed one, and on the installation after cleaning broken it clean off). Ordered one from Pelican Parts, order was simple, shipping was fast, and installation took all of 15 minutes the first time.
The Daddio (08-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sender unit replacement - DIY