Old 05-29-2009 | 03:40 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

i would wate for 997.2 to come CPO'd
Old 05-29-2009 | 08:50 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Thanks, guys. Good advice and support from all of you. And yes, the main players on my daily build sheets include a Cayman S - the REAL WORLD REINCARNATION of the 904, and worthy of that distinction.
Old 05-29-2009 | 11:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark,

I spend a decent amount of time on the 997 Forum and I agree that the some of the 997 guys are a little full of themselves. I could list names but I won't. A couple of them are really arrogant "know-it-all" types that give Porsche drivers a bad name. Overall, that are really a pretty good group of guys, but not a nice as the 996 crowd and certainly not as much fun.

If/when you get a 997 you can still hang out with the good guys here on the 996 Forum. Hell, if they let me stay here after I bought a Honda, you will most certainly be welcome here!
Old 05-30-2009 | 01:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

It's interesting to see the different mentalities between the forums. The 997, keep in mind, is about 80% different than the 996. (Per Zuffenhausen). They did some serious engineering during the intervening years. Whatever you do, I suggest that you avoid year one (MY05) because they still had some bugs to sort out. Also, the latest 997.2 with DI engines are not out of the woods yet. There also seem to be problems with several PDK trannys. As is usually suggested, avoid first year cars,--so for the 997, avoid the MY05 and now the MY09. I suspect things will improve by MY10. But then again, the MY12 cars will be the 991,--the next evolution of the 911. It has been reported that it will once again be badged as a 911S (vice "Carrera.") There are many opportunities to get serious deals on the early 997s because so many buyers today are afraid to drive them. OMG! Miles! I don't subscribe to that, as my MY06 car now has 37,000 on it. It's third birthday is coming up in June. As with all past cars, they really need to be driven to be broken in suitably. I would personally avoid a really low mileage car because by then the warranty will be over and any problems that the car may have never got shaken out. It will have to be repaired on your dime,--unless you can get a CPO deal (aka 'used car.')

Don't be afraid to check out the 997 forum. It's less about maintenance issues and more about ordering options and playing with them at this stage.
Old 05-30-2009 | 02:11 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Thundertub
LOL! Thanks, guys! I haven't been attacked yet over there on the 997 Forum, mostly because I haven't posted anything controversial there. LOL! I have not been insulted or mistreated. But I have been very low profile.

As you know, I sing the praises of the 996 here whenever I can. My biggest holdbacks for a 997 have been price and availability of interesting used cars. Up until the 997.2, the 997 was not a major enough jump in technology for me to spend the money. And except for the engine, my current 996 is cloned out as much as any can get to a 996 GT3. In fact, despite the fact that I have my Carrera badge right where the factory put it, I still get very knowlegable Porsche folks asking me if my car is actually a GT3.

I also have to remind myself that I love this particular 996 (I have had four) so much that I actually bought it TWICE! LOL! Bought it used in 2004 with only 7,500 miles and the original set of tires still on it. Sold it to a nice PCA'er a year later. Bought it back from him one year to the day in 2006 in totally perfect and unused (again) condition. So I either have to stop the train here, or move on and get over it. I drive my car several times a week, it sees regular DE time, it goes to concours events, it has had three trips to the Tail of the Dragon, and at home it sits in the driveway under a cover and not in the garage because it makes it easier to pick that one when leaving the house. LOL! Unlike Phil, I am not saving my car for the next guy. The first owner did that for ME! LOL!
I have driven many 997's and there is absolutely no question that they are a far leap now from my car, particularly the 997.2 . But how can I justify the move when thousands of other Porsche owners have cars they are completely satisfied with and those cars are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 times OLDER than mine?
I would be the first to agree that each generation of 911 Series has been a huge improvement over the previous and that includes the 996 over the 993 (THERE, I said it in front of everyone!). I know this for a fact, because I have owned at least one example of each generation 911/912 However, some folks are just as tickled with their mid-'80's Carrera's, and my son just bought his 3rd or 4th Porsche and this one is a 1989 944. He is as excited as if he had taken delivery in Stuttgart. Since I actually did that with a 911 Carrera Targa in 1989, I need to really get a grip.
Every time I go to the Porsche configuator (about 5 times a day) I end up building a newer version of exactly what I have already.
Test drive a 997 GT3, that may convince you.
Old 05-30-2009 | 11:41 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

There is absolutely no question that I would love a GT3. I actually have several hours of track time driving a 996 GT3, a 997 GT3 and... drum roll... a 997 GT3RS. THAT is the car I REALLY want (don't we all), but then we are back to the money thing. I need to sit it out a couple more years before those come into my comfort range financially.

On a separate thought, and only because you who have responded to this thread are the inner circle, I had an adventure today with my car that was fun and informative. It probably deserves a thread of it's own, but I will give you the two minute summary here:
I made an appointment for today to go to Brumos Porsche to put my car up on a rack and get a walk through with one of their best mechanics. It was totally AWESOME! I had 14 items on my list of things I wanted to see and ask about under there, and we did 27 of them. Yes, you read that correctly. I totally got the first class treatment and full inspection, that also included stuff above the bottom. Wow! I got to to be there to see it all and ask questions and even touch stuff.
I took my camera, but there was nothing really to take pictures of to add to the thread already posted about the bottoms of the cars. Mine was totally damage free, absolutley nothing out of sorts to report. I did get detailed guidance on the suspension I have on this car, and what to consider for the future. The brakes need nothing, the rotors have no cracks or wear, the pads still have lots of life, the shocks and swaybar mounts are all excellent. And on and on.

I promised you the two minute response so I will only finish with one more thought. I still am not having issues with the RMS or the IMS, but we are going to make a preemptive strike on those two areas simultaneously within the next 3 months.
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:04 AM
maci911
Racer

Originally Posted by Zookie
i would wate for 997.2 to come CPO'd

very interesting ...40 to 60 in 1 second............ LINKY ........i want one...
Old 06-02-2009 | 12:24 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

As mentioned above, I'm just now starting to think that the technology in the 911 has been substantially enough modified as to even warrant consideration of upgrading my car (though I seriously would consider keeping the 2000 and just getting a new 997). In particular, I think that the DFI and PDK are phenomenal. However, as also mentioned above, I am ALWAYS loath to get first year models (be it 997s, Windows Vista, etc). Always wait for the first "service pack". So, come the 2010 model, I will have some serious considering to do. Then again, man, I just LOVE my car. Also, FWIW, I've been doing some serious looking for a 1972 911S.
Old 06-02-2009 | 04:15 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

I completely agree with waiting a year after a new model debutes. Of course I didn't follow that train of thought when it came to my first 996 which I ordered new back in 1998. And from reading over on the 997 Forum, I would also agree that the 997 may be a superior car to the 996 in many respects, but not necessarily enough of a change to warrant the upgrade. At least until now.
The 997's seem to have had mostly the same issues as the 996 in terms of problems. So I can deal with those problems on amy current 996, or deal with them on a 997. A 2007 may still be under warranty and include a CPO extension, but you are still dealing with the $30k-40k upgrade price vs $10-15k upgrades/repairs for the 996 that is long ago paid in full.
Old 06-02-2009 | 04:23 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

I have to share with you a little tidbit about how to get that new car/new leather smell back into your car without buying a completely new car.

Take your sun visors off and have them recovered in leather at your local interior shop.

Think about that.
Old 06-02-2009 | 04:44 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

nice 'selling your car' tip!!
Old 06-03-2009 | 05:55 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 997