996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Intermix/Cracked head repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:46 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These cracks are only happening on earlier models... right? (2001 and earlier?)
Old 05-30-2009, 05:03 PM
sehorntx
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat myself with 99 C2. Intermix. About to drop engine and disassemble. Will start with bank 1-3!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NONE of the modes of engine failure are limited to certain years or models. We see everything fail across the board- If its an M96 it has 15 different modes of failure that can bring it to it's knees and of those only two have symptoms before "it happens".

We repaired a seriously screwed up head last week.. I will put them on a mule engine in a few days and the punishment will begin, so will the overheating and I'll do my best to force it to fail...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Could you give us a list of the fifteen and the symptoms of the two ?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an article on engine failures that I have been waiting to finish.. The Spring rush is slowing down a bit, so I'll try to get it posted in June. I try to keep this sort of info off of forums because those who deny the issues exist start debates that I don't have time for..
The following users liked this post:
usdmnotjdm (09-09-2021)
Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

I'm not trying to start a debate, I would like to know what these problems are, I could probably name 5 of them,but if there are more I'd like to know about them,you have much more experience in these than I have.
I think this forum is great to get information on these cars to the members. No high performance car/engines are perfect and without problems.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Hi,

Thanks for an excellent write-up! I think I am suffering from the same thing, and I have read your threads with great interest. I have emailed the company you used, to find out if they still repair heads.

So I figure your car still work, after the repair?

I have borrowed an inspection camera, and I hope the resolution will be good enough to see the crack in the cylinder head.

I have a rookie question; cylinder #1, is that the front left one in the forward direction of the car? Just so I am looking in the right place....

Thanks,

Johan
Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about the intermix. I hope you get it sorted.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Johan: What is the year and mileage of your car? Also what are your symptoms ?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Over 13,000 miles since my fix and the engine is still running strong. Not sure about using the camera so see the crack I had unless you are going to pull the plug tube and look in the chase. Then you might see it. But it would not appear in the cylinder. I think most of the time cameras are used to check for cracked cylinder walls.

What are the symptoms of your intermix? Oil in Coolant? Coolant in the oil? Any smoke from the exhaust?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:00 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Hi Doug,

excellent to hear that your engine is still running strong!

Here is a thread I started about my intermix problem:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...n-coolant.html

118 k miles, oil in coolant, no coolant in oil, loosing coolant but engine runs excellent.

Is there a way to remove the tube from the outside? It seems like there is no other way to get into the cam housing. Any advice?

Thanks,

Johan
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

One of these works well for removing the plugs but you have to get the right size and I forget the diameter of the plug tubes.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10467
Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I think I have one of these laying around.

So, I can pull them out from the outside without permanently damaging them? I might need to move the car to get the engine out, and I would prefer to be able to start it without all the oil pouring out...

Regards,

Johan
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can remove the tubes safely without damaging anything. They are just plastic tubes If you damage one they are really inexpensive, like a few dollars each. But don't damage them so much that the plastic breaks off into the engine, then you'll have to remove the cam cover to get the debris out. It owuld be really hard to damage them though unless you poked a hole in one which would take a drill or some considerable force. Often times the two rubber o rings on the spark tube are worn and should be replaced, however if you are tearing the engine down you could always do that later.

Don't start the car without the tubes in otherwise you'll have a big mess on your hands.

There are plenty of threads here and elsewhere about how to replace the spark plug tubes. I suggest you spend a minute or two with the search feature.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM
JJ911
2nd Gear

Default New to forum

Hey Doug,

I joined this forum because of the same issue/thread u posted. I have a 1999 911 in beautiful condition and I got the intermix blues. Sucks because I lost hope until I read your thread. Both mechanics I asked said total rebuild is necessary. Hoping I can just get the heads repaired like you did. Any additional advice? Or just tell mechanic to try and get the heads repaired by your place, Mesa?

Quick Reply: Intermix/Cracked head repair