996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What are my muffler options

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Arena996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just realized the other day that I still have a set of 3.6 stock mufflers in my shop if anyone is looking for a set to do the PSE hack.
JIM
Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

^^ Jim you have PM
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
Anyone here hear the pse/pse hack vs fabspeed in a cab? I like to hear my car (i cant hear it at all now unless I really get on it), but don't want it to be too loud where it will be annoying in a cab
I don't have a cab, but I can honestly say that it's very tame unless you WOT or get the RPMs past 5k. For such a simple mod it really is amazing. You really can't tell it's there when you are cruising or driving calmly (windows down and sunroof open). BUT jump on it, and it SUDDENLY comes to life. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Personally, even if I had the Fabspeed cans, I would still do this mod, it's THAT good.

Ps. "JBRipps" has a set for sale as well.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 AM
E. coli
Intermediate

Another fan of the AH Sport muffler here, love the deep throaty sound and the attention (head turning stares, ooh's and ahh's from children to grown men) the car gets when you flick your wrist to start the ignition. My only quibble a minor one to me is the presence of droning between 2-3 RPM when accelerating.

About a month ago I was fortunate enough to get a call from Brian asking me if I would be interested in swapping out the original AH mufflers with his new Gen 2 mufflers for a trial period. Not one to pass up on new products, I jumped at the opportunity. Brian did ask me for one thing, in addition to what my impressions were of the Gen 2- he was very much interested in what my wife thought about it.

My initial impressions of the Gen 2 muffler were that the sound at idle and light acceleration was appreciably lower than the originals and at WOT the sound was similar but more controlled than the originals. As for my wife's impression she immediately noticed that we could carry on a conversation under light acceleration and cruising speed and more importantly her head didn't hurt from the constant rumble ( droning) of the originals. Well it's been about a month and 1,500 miles later ( which included a trip to NorCal- Stockton/San Jose area) and the sound is still the same, meanwhile my wife keeps telling ( not asking!) me- You are going to keep these new ones right??

I could go either way the originals or the Gen 2 but because the Gen 2 are now a WAP (Wife Approved Product)- it's a no brainer. These mufflers are well made and definitely worth the price of admission-IMHO. Although I have not had the opportunity to compare them side by side -the Gen 2 and the PSE, listening to all the examples of the PSE on Youtube, I can say the GEN 2 is quieter at idle and during light acceleration than the PSE. Too bad Kid this didn't happen two weeks earlier, I was actually with the wife at the Fry's Electronics in Campbell- could have met up with you for an exhibition.

Good luck in whatever you decide,

Sherm
Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Sherm,
That's a great review of the Gen2 setup. AH just emailed me yesterday and told me they were coming. Definitely a good option. To bad I missed you up here, that would have been perfect.

Best,
Andy
Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of GHL mufflers for sale. I can't figure out how to link to the thread. do a search under my user name.
$600 shipped.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:50 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin 90 C2
I have a set of GHL mufflers for sale. I can't figure out how to link to the thread. do a search under my user name.
$600 shipped.
Are these the "loud" version?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't know there was a loud version. I only thought there were mufflers and there were muffler bypass pipes.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 PM
ShaneSaw
Intermediate

We need a get-together of 996s with different exhaust setups. Then we could decide which ones sound the best. Personally, the winner would be the one that sounded the most like a GT3 w/ PSE on. Thats the sweetest sound ive driven yet. I just did the PSE hack where the cap at the corner of the can is opened up and 2.25" pipe is welded from there to the original out pipe. When i fired it up my shoulders sank as i looked at the driveway full of tools. I will probably give it one more try add another inbetween the orig in & out. Pray for me.....
Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneSaw
We need a get-together of 996s with different exhaust setups. Then we could decide which ones sound the best. Personally, the winner would be the one that sounded the most like a GT3 w/ PSE on. Thats the sweetest sound ive driven yet. I just did the PSE hack where the cap at the corner of the can is opened up and 2.25" pipe is welded from there to the original out pipe. When i fired it up my shoulders sank as i looked at the driveway full of tools. I will probably give it one more try add another inbetween the orig in & out. Pray for me.....
I have never heard the PSE hack. However, there is a member here with 200 cell cats and a PSE hack. There no drone which is great. This should give you extra power and deeper sound you are looking for without throwing the muffler away.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
LJpete
Pro

I love my Fabspeeds. On occasion though I do wish they where a bit louder (in th4e lower RPM), but on a daily or street driven car, they are darn near perfect. Quiet enough to not garnish attention from local law enforcement but nice when you get on it. Especially at around 4k to redline.

I've heard PSE and they sound nice at low rpm and idle but aren't all that loud up top.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I'm am interested in the AH mufflers but am concerned that they are too loud. In their own video they show the mufflers setting off a car alarm, not something I want to do.

Has anyone compared them side by side to the PSEs?

Thanks
Hey Andy,

There's a good few that we've done but honestly not everyone wants the same one. Some want quieter vs louder etc... If there's any way you can swing by Santana Row on a Saturday and listen to some different types that might help too. I know on Friday we'll be doing a Tubi system on an NA 997 (sounds the same) if that helps? The PSE's sound really good as well but that's on the quieter side of the fence.

Quick Reply: What are my muffler options