Sponsored by:

Tire wear History

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:59 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Tire wear History

Thought this may be interesting to some of you.

I got my car in Oct of 2003 with 5,000k on the clock. 5 and bit years later it now has 95,000 km.

The first set of tires were Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico
Fronts went 28,000 km with a couple track days (green/yellow group)
1st set of Rears only went 19,000 km (no track days)
2nd set of rears 9,000 km with a couple track days (green/yellow group)

2nd set of Tires Kumho ECSTA SPT
Fronts went 12,000 km 12 track days in White run group but could have went another 8k (50% tread left) but rears were replaced and had more grip then fronts which had no heat cycles left in them so PSM was thrown off so I decided to replace them.
Rears went 10,000 km 9 track days but extreme high temp/psi (I saw 55 psi at the track once) ruined them could have went another 8k (50% tread left). They developed one 3 mm deep crack across the width of the tire.

3rd set of tires Kumho ECSTA SPT
Fronts went 10,000 km and lots of tread left but some chunking on edges from scrubbing off speed at Mosport (more then likely corner 10)
Rears went 12,000 km (8 track days could have probably went 4-6 track days but developed a bulge in rear sidewall and I decided to replace all the tires).Think it happened when I went was parked next to a curb and went over it when I drove away.

4th set of tires Michelin PS2
Fronts and Rears went 9,000 km (10 track days in white/black run group)
Fronts were corded on outer edges, rears corded on both inside and outside edges.

5 seasons of winter ( Yes it is a daily driver and we get lots of the white stuff)
The fronts are still is use and have 28,000 km on them with no sign of needing to be replaced.
1st set of rears went 19,000 km inside edges wear down to the cords.
2nd set of rears have 9,000 km and are still fine, tread looks similar to the fronts.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

These cars are very sensitive to tire choices, and pressures. I think the PS2s are great tires (particularly the newest/current compounds, N spec).

Anyway, good of you to enjoy the car year round and on track.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your observations and pics - I'm in the market for rear tires now (I have Falken whatevers back there right now - they were on when I bought it 9 months ago) and I'm looking for some quiet tires. I won't ever track the car and I do drive the car "spiritedly" most every morning (you can get away with quite a bit when your morning commute is at 4:30 AM). Any suggestions? (I have Pirelli PZeros on the front with plenty of tread and will probably change those next year, unless I get a good recommendation and I'll swap out all four...)

Thanks,
Rudy
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Granted the PS2 were a great tire, they did wear out quickly.
I am sure the Kumho's if I took care of them would have lasted twice as long and they had the same amount of grip when they were hot at the track.
The Pirelli's were never actually pushed and basically just did street duty.
The Kumho's are half the price of the PS2's but have softer sidewalls, that most street drivers will never feel the difference but they will last twice as long.
I learned that replacing rears only is a no no. Might be OK for the street but at the track the car does notice the difference and will PSM will go wonky.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 PM
BrandX
Instructor

Jumper, interesting post. I just replaced the rears only on my 02 C4S - ContiSportContact N2. I got 25,000 km - 15,700 miles out of them. The inside of the rears were down to the wear bars. The fronts look like they are ready to go another 25,000 km. BUT - I'm taking the car to the track in about a month. These tires have done 2 track days already. I hope I don't have the same experience you did. I guess I could get really brave and turn off PSM - but I doubt that I will - not enough experience yet
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BrandX
Jumper, interesting post. I just replaced the rears only on my 02 C4S - ContiSportContact N2. I got 25,000 km - 15,700 miles out of them. The inside of the rears were down to the wear bars. The fronts look like they are ready to go another 25,000 km. BUT - I'm taking the car to the track in about a month. These tires have done 2 track days already. I hope I don't have the same experience you did. I guess I could get really brave and turn off PSM - but I doubt that I will - not enough experience yet
No worries for you. I was really pushing the street tires. When the front was sliding from lack of grip and the rears had full grip the PSM was cutting in dangerously while even in mid turn. After a few time of it doing that in a few corners I did have to turn PSM off and the car was much better. Though I like having it on and it never having it actually engaging or think it has to.
When I started tracking the car it didn't even matter to the tires or the brake pads and rotors. Once you really start boogieing then it will.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

I have the Sumitomo's on my car. I do not track the car and it is used to drive me to and from work. I think that they are great. Full set from TireRack was $600+.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you liked the Kumho, you HAVE to try the Sumitimo HTR Z III. It's a much better tire for the same money.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's my impression of the Sumitomo HTRZ III,

I ordered them after recommendations from Rennlist. Installed on the car Friday. Drove to VIR Saturday, after half a session with the car, drove it back home after my student's run session was complete. Swapped cars for Sunday, and didn't drive the car again until the replacement set was installed (Azenis). I will say that they're fine for the street if you don't push hard. They're completely inadequate for the track however. I also had an issue with Nitto 555s of the car pulling under acceleration. I was pulling my hair trying to figure out what the issue was with that until I tried another set of wheels/tires from a friend's car...

These cars are surprisingly sensitive to tires from my experience... Not to say that more expensive tires won't ever have issues, but higher quality does seem to come at a price.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
If you liked the Kumho, you HAVE to try the Sumitimo HTR Z III. It's a much better tire for the same money.
I went to PS cups. Given the PS2's didn't really last or provide better grip for the track. I have the winters to throw on once the season is over.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a couple of sets of Pzero's, they are ok but wear too fast. Next were the Yoko Advan Neova's, I loved those tires, however they are horrible during the cold months. Currently I'm running the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. They look narrower than my old Yoko's, however they handle better during the cold months. I can't really say how they react just yet during the warm months. They do though handle really well in the rain. No tracking for me, I leave that to the cool people..
Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't just leave it to the cool people, come out and do it yourself. From your tire choices, it certainly sounds like you appreciate a good tire. Enjoy them to the fullest! I'm going to the NJ Motorsports Park next month, you're welcome to a ride if you'd like.

Quick Reply: Tire wear History