Sponsored by:

Motul 300V Challenge!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:22 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Motul 300V Challenge!

I figure I need to spice things up a bit with another OIL THREAD! woo hoo!

Anyway, I got a care package of Motul 300V 5W/40 racing oil and a bottle of engine clean to try out.

The engine clean goes into the oil tank, then you idle the car for 15min, and dump the oil. My oil came out fairly dirty, but no metal shavings as far as I could see. The oil had about 10k miles on it.

My first impression of the 300V oil was that it smelled really nice. Yes, you heard me right. It's made from coconut oil and it smells kinda like tanning lotion. Hey, I like my car to smell nice on the inside too.

The container looks flat, but has a pop-up spout, so no funnel is needed, which is a relief when you realize you don't have a funnel.

Initial impressions after the first 100 miles is that the car seems to run a bit smoother w/ slightly less lag in the tiptronic shifting.

I like the fact that it is fully synthetic, and the owner has a nice 3 page deal to explain the different meanings of "synthetic" when it comes to oils these days.

It is on the expensive side. I think retail is about $25 for 2 Liters. But if it's better for my engine, then it's worth it.

I'm supposed to get another care package in a few months. So I'll probably change my oil again after 3K miles and post additional impressions then.

Anyone else try Motul oils? What was your experience?

Aaron
Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It is a terrific product, no question it is one of the higher quality oils available. Ester based,very similiar to Redline. It has a high "reserve" additive package and will go much much longer than 3000 miles. Honestly, you are wasting money and time by changing out a $13/quart oil so soon.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search on it at BITOG
Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by bgiere
It is a terrific product, no question it is one of the higher quality oils available. Ester based,very similiar to Redline. It has a high "reserve" additive package and will go much much longer than 3000 miles. Honestly, you are wasting money and time by changing out a $13/quart oil so soon.
I agree, but I got this for free, so I will test it based on the sender's request.

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Search on it at BITOG
Wow, how do you find these sites? Very cool. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NP. Did oil analysis with a couple previous cars, and this site always comes up when people ask how to interpret the reports you get back. Its like a whole other world over there.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

BITOG is a great site, plenty of knowledgeable engineers post there.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:17 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Searching for "Motul" and found this thread. Aaron, did you change the oil yet?

Been trying to decide if there's any point to using Motul in the 996. Our 130k mile S4, which is chipped and regularly sees 250° oil temps, has been running on 300V 5W40 at 8-9000 mile drain intervals its whole life. I do a used oil analysis every time and there's always negligible wear and the additives are far from depleted even at that interval. Pretty amazing oil.

Need to decide if the 996 will be happier on cheapo Mobil1 with frequent changes, or a much higher quality oil like Motul with changes every year (~8k miles).
Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Searching for "Motul" and found this thread. Aaron, did you change the oil yet?

Been trying to decide if there's any point to using Motul in the 996. Our 130k mile S4, which is chipped and regularly sees 250° oil temps, has been running on 300V 5W40 at 8-9000 mile drain intervals its whole life. I do a used oil analysis every time and there's always negligible wear and the additives are far from depleted even at that interval. Pretty amazing oil.

Need to decide if the 996 will be happier on cheapo Mobil1 with frequent changes, or a much higher quality oil like Motul with changes every year (~8k miles).
Jon,

Yep, I changed it about 3K miles ago. Did the engine clean they sell prior to dumpin the old oil. Currently, the car runs great! I think the engine feels a little smoother, but that could be my imagination. I have burned a little oil w/ the Motul. Nothing outside of normal limits, but I wasn't burning any w/ the Mobil 1.

I just bought the Flat6 "spin-on filter adapter" and plan to change the oil again in another 2k. Not sure if I will go with the Motul again, or try RedLine 5W40.

Aaron
Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Any issues with the variocam? I've read here and elsewhere that one must use 0W40 or get a CE light?

Any perceptible change in the "feel" of the variocam engaging?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Any issues with the variocam? I've read here and elsewhere that one must use 0W40 or get a CE light?

Any perceptible change in the "feel" of the variocam engaging?
No, no isues whatsoever.

Some of the turbo guys are changing over to 5W/50 and they don't have any variocam issues either.

Last edited by medtech; 09-23-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: original post was lame
Old 09-23-2009, 12:47 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Are you still happy with the Motul? Did you end up switching to Redline? If so, how do they compare? I'm about to change my tranny fluid to Motul 300V before I head off to Willow Springs this weekend, & when I get back, I need to do an oil change as well. Wondering wether I should go with Motul or Redline... Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:56 AM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Are you still happy with the Motul? Did you end up switching to Redline? If so, how do they compare? I'm about to change my tranny fluid to Motul 300V before I head off to Willow Springs this weekend, & when I get back, I need to do an oil change as well. Wondering wether I should go with Motul or Redline... Thanks.
I'm happy w/ Motul 300V, but not sold 100%.
On the plus side it's a really nice oil, lots of esthers, zinc, and dammit, it smells good.
On the negative, it's friggin expensive (about $150), and as with any racing oil, it's only good for about 5k miles.

I had planned to go w/ Redline, but at the last minute couldn't find the 15W/40 weight on Amazon (that's the only 40 weight they have). I have no real data on Redline, but IMO it seems like a high quality synthetic, close to the 300V, but at about $30-50 less.

This oil change I ended up w/ Motul 8100 Ex-cess. It's about $100. Recommended by knowledgeable person. Once again, no hard data on my part, but I feel it's a step above Mobil 1, and a good choice for DD.

That being said, if I tracked my car (and it wasn't a tip ), I would go with the Redline or 300V.

Currently I am changing the oil every 5k miles, I have the spin-on filter adapter, M1 filter, FilterMag, and magnetic drain plug.

For the expert scoop on oil check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Have a blast at WS!!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medtech
I'm happy w/ Motul 300V, but not sold 100%.
On the plus side it's a really nice oil, lots of esthers, zinc, and dammit, it smells good.
On the negative, it's friggin expensive (about $150), and as with any racing oil, it's only good for about 5k miles.
What is it that doesn't have you completely sold? Just the price & frecuent oil change? I don't care about the price, since it's justified by the savings I'll be making by changing out the oil myself .

I had planned to go w/ Redline, but at the last minute couldn't find the 15W/40 weight on Amazon (that's the only 40 weight they have). I have no real data on Redline, but IMO it seems like a high quality synthetic, close to the 300V, but at about $30-50 less.
Redline has a 0W40 & 5W40, but not in their race oil line, so I'm guessing it doesn't have the same properties, benefits, & durability... With price out of the comparison, would you say the 300V is even a little better than Redline?

This oil change I ended up w/ Motul 8100 Ex-cess. It's about $100. Recommended by knowledgeable person. Once again, no hard data on my part, but I feel it's a step above Mobil 1, and a good choice for DD.
Did you feel any difference (both positive & negative) going from their 300V to the 8100? Because the 300V is pretty damn expensive, lol.

That being said, if I tracked my car (and it wasn't a tip ), I would go with the Redline or 300V.
It's okay, when I'm sitting in the dry SoCal summer heat somewhere between SD & LA on the 5 freeway, moving with an average of 3MPH & constantly avoiding soccer moms in minivans, "tough guys" in lifted trucks, ricers that have seen too many Fast & Furious movies, & illegal Mexicans with no license/insurance that don't know how to drive (not racist, I AM Mexican... Just honest), I wish I had a tip, hahaha.

Currently I am changing the oil every 5k miles, I have the spin-on filter adapter, M1 filter, FilterMag, and magnetic drain plug.[/URL]
I'm planning on doing the spin-on filter adapter & either the M1 or K&N filter as well, but had never heard of that "FilterMag"... I googled it right now, & that looks pretty awesome. I'll probably end up doing that as well. You learn something new everyday! Thanks for the heads up.

For the expert scoop on oil check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
Thanks, I just signed up on that site now, there seems to be a LOT of good info there.

Have a blast at WS!!
I'll try.
I'm pretty excited actually.

... Thanks for all the good tips.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Motul is an outstanding product. I ran their oils in my motorcycles and never had a complaint.

I"ve alwyas used Redline 5w-40 in my Porsche though. Mainly due to local availability. (thanks JEGS). Based on my research they're comparable oils and both top tier products. Really can't go wrong with either.

Andy
Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM
medtech
Drifting

[QUOTE=RaphaelPlascencia;6926324]What is it that doesn't have you completely sold? Just the price & frecuent oil change? I don't care about the price, since it's justified by the savings I'll be making by changing out the oil myself .

COLOR="Red"]I THINK IT'S MOSTLY THE PRICE, SINCE I'M NOT CONVINCED IT'S BETTER THAN THE REDLINE. ANDY LIKES THE REDLINE, SO THAT'S ONE MORE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE.[/COLOR]

Redline has a 0W40 & 5W40, but not in their race oil line, so I'm guessing it doesn't have the same properties, benefits, & durability... With price out of the comparison, would you say the 300V is even a little better than Redline?

I THINK THAT WE SHOULD COMPARE RACING OILS TO RACING OILS. THE 5W/40 WOULD PROBABLY BE COMP TO THE MOTUL 8100.
FWIW THE MOTUL IS PORSCHE APPROVED, IF THAT MATTERS (I PERSONALLY DON'T CARE).

Did you feel any difference (both positive & negative) going from their 300V to the 8100? Because the 300V is pretty damn expensive, lol.

I CAN'T SAY B/C I PUT ON THE SPIN-ON FILTER AT THE SAME TIME. I THINK ANY POSITIVES I'M NOTICING ARE COMING FROM THE FREE FLOW FILTER.

I'm planning on doing the spin-on filter adapter & either the M1 or K&N filter as well, but had never heard of that "FilterMag"... I googled it right now, & that looks pretty awesome. I'll probably end up doing that as well. You learn something new everyday! Thanks for the heads up.

M1 AND K&N ARE THE EXACT SAME FILTER, SO EITHER ONE IS GOOD.

Quick Reply: Motul 300V Challenge!