Sponsored by:

Motul 300V Challenge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
I THINK THAT WE SHOULD COMPARE RACING OILS TO RACING OILS. THE 5W/40 WOULD PROBABLY BE COMP TO THE MOTUL 8100.
FWIW THE MOTUL IS PORSCHE APPROVED, IF THAT MATTERS (I PERSONALLY DON'T CARE
I'd like to see more comparisons between them. Genearlly a true racing oil is a single weight oil. The additive / detergent package that they add to the oil to give it extended drain periods gives it the split weight properties for the street as well.

Knowing the Motul 300v is a split weight oil I'm curios if it's really a comparison to Redline's "racing" line or just their street line.

Andy

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 09-23-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I'd like to see more comparisons between them. Genearlly a true racing oil is a single weight oil. The additive / detergent package that they add to the oil to give it extended drain periods gives it the split weight properties for the street as well.

Knowing the Motul 300v is a split weight oil I'm curios if it's really a comparison to Redline's "racing" line or just their street line.

Andy
Motul 300V in the 5W40 weight needs no viscosity modifiers. In effect, it is a single weight oil that can cover both extremes. That's what's so special about it. No modifiers, nothing to break down, so it maintains its viscosity very well in extreme conditions.

When I first stumbled on that bit of information a few years back, there were no other 5W40 oils that could make that claim.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:17 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Motul 300V in the 5W40 weight needs no viscosity modifiers. In effect, it is a single weight oil that can cover both extremes. That's what's so special about it. No modifiers, nothing to break down, so it maintains its viscosity very well in extreme conditions.

When I first stumbled on that bit of information a few years back, there were no other 5W40 oils that could make that claim.
Do you know if it contains detergents for extended fill intervals?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:17 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jon,

Have you seen any write ups on the Redline oils?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:55 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Do you know if it contains detergents for extended fill intervals?
I've been running ~8000 mile drain intervals in the Audi, and I just sent in another sample. I requested a TBN this time, so we'll see what's left.

Charles Navarro has posted in the past that he thinks the 300V is running out at a much shorter interval when run in 996s.

Don't know much specifically about Redline.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by RallyJon
I've been running ~8000 mile drain intervals in the Audi, and I just sent in another sample. I requested a TBN this time, so we'll see what's left.

Charles Navarro has posted in the past that he thinks the 300V is running out at a much shorter interval when run in 996s.

Don't know much specifically about Redline.
Good to know. I may have to give it a shot in the future. I wanted to make sure it wasn't an oil that needed changed at "XX" hours like most racing oils.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 893 Posts

I think it would be interesting to send your used oil to Blackstone Labs after your next oil change and see what they tell you. I'm fortunate to have them in my backyard. They will send you a free test kit and give you a good analysis of your oil at the next change.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 583 Posts

The 300V is pretty much toast after 5000 miles/6 months in a daily driver, mostly highway miles. Verified with used oil analysis, less than TBN of 2. I'd venture to say if you had short drives, the TBN reserve would be used up much quicker.

The Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 (Porsche approved) holds it's TBN reserve much better. In fact, it holds it's TBN better than Mobil 1, which shocked the hell out of me when I ran it in our track car.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:02 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
The Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 (Porsche approved) holds it's TBN reserve much better. In fact, it holds it's TBN better than Mobil 1, which shocked the hell out of me when I ran it in our track car.
Charles, what is your current recommended oil for a 3.4 that sees mostly track miles? Feel free to PM or email as well.

How far is Momence from Chicago? Do you do IMS retrofits as your shop?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

There's no change in my opinion on oils for the aircooled cars. And most of the general principles translate over to the water cooled engines. I don't want to start anything that would require

This season I've been testing lots of different oils in our track Boxster and have been pleased with all of them (used oil analysis has said they are all about the same when it comes to wear) - Brad Penn 10w40, Mobil 1 4T Racing 10w40, Joe Gibbs Racing 10w40, Motul 8100 5w40, and I'm putting in Castrol Syntec 5w40 today for the next 2 day track weekend for Octoberfest at Blackhawk. There are tons of oils I want to try next season. I'll post the results when I've run them all and can just make one post.

We don't do any installs at our location, but for ims retrofits and stuff like that, we have a good relationship with Joe Rizza Porsche:

http://www.lnengineering.com/service.html

One of my friends is a technician there and has profession pride in the work he does, which is rare these days. He does all the work on our cars, I just don't have the time.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:26 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting Charles, and refreshing that we don't have to have the super secret decoder ring to get an informed opinion about oils.

Also good to hear since the Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 isn't that much more expensive than M1, although it may need to be ordered via the web and not available locally.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no change in my opinion on oils for the aircooled cars. And most of the general principles translate over to the water cooled engines. I don't want to start anything that would require

This season I've been testing lots of different oils in our track Boxster and have been pleased with all of them (used oil analysis has said they are all about the same when it comes to wear) - Brad Penn 10w40, Mobil 1 4T Racing 10w40, Joe Gibbs Racing 10w40, Motul 8100 5w40, and I'm putting in Castrol Syntec 5w40 today for the next 2 day track weekend for Octoberfest at Blackhawk. There are tons of oils I want to try next season. I'll post the results when I've run them all and can just make one post.

We don't do any installs at our location, but for ims retrofits and stuff like that, we have a good relationship with Joe Rizza Porsche:

http://www.lnengineering.com/service.html

One of my friends is a technician there and has profession pride in the work he does, which is rare these days. He does all the work on our cars, I just don't have the time.
Thanks Charles! Hope to meet you at the track soon.
Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

I won't be at the PCA Blackhawk Octoberfest (as the Ventura show is the same weekend), but my wife will be there driving.

This season I've been at pretty much every event, as I joined the PCA Tech crew, so just look for a yellow vest!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:46 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Here's the update. TBN was 12.3 new, 2.3 after 8400 miles in the Audi. Probably pushing it a bit.

Quick Reply: Motul 300V Challenge!