996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LWFW Installed...Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Steve. The rod is definately an option, thanks...I'm going to try the easy way first.

Mark, I am hoping to get my A/C system charged tomorrow. I have not had it on, since the LWFW was installed. I have read that the noise gets worse with the A/C on, so I am anxious to find out.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
drbooba1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Mfletch]
"When the clutch pedal is mashed to the floor, the pressure plate goes too far and contacts the spring centered hub of the clutch. If I back off on the pressure, it goes away. It can be felt through the clutch pedal."

Mfletch, It sounds like the spring hub disc has been mounted in the wrong direction. The correct placement of the spring unit is toward the flywheel, the manufacturer should have indicated the direction on the part. You should have absolutely no issues with pedal travel (going over center) or modifications to your system what so ever.
regards drdooba1
Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if you only want to hear from Mfletch but I have no issues with my LWFW when the AC is on or off except for the chattering sound which does get louder when the AC is on.

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Mfletch,
Does your car have A/C still? Have you driven with the A/C on with the new LWFW? I ask because I did that same mod to a '93 RS America (right after the new car warranty expired) and the engine would stall when I pushed in the clutch to coast to a stop if I had the A/C on. I had Weltmeister recurve a chip to bring on the onset of idle at a higher RPM to prevent the stall. Just wondering if you have notice any stalling with the A/C on. My experience was 15 years ago on a two generations older car, but I was just curious if you have had that problem.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

can someone technically explain why there is a chatter on LWFWs?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

see here
Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

drbooba1, your explanation of the problem sounds like a possibility. I tried a spacer behind the clutch pedal, to limit travel. I have to mash the pedal to the floor, to activate the microswitch on the clutch pedal, in order to start the car. It makes that horrible contact noise when I start the car, with the pedal fully depressed (after it is warm).

Has anybody else ever heard of this problem? Did my mechanic install the clutch backwards?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The LWFW on my 986 does not do that
Old 05-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
drbooba1, your explanation of the problem sounds like a possibility. I tried a spacer behind the clutch pedal, to limit travel. I have to mash the pedal to the floor, to activate the microswitch on the clutch pedal, in order to start the car. It makes that horrible contact noise when I start the car, with the pedal fully depressed (after it is warm).

Has anybody else ever heard of this problem? Did my mechanic install the clutch backwards?
Mfletch,

I have heard of the rattling associated with the lightweights but you really should not have to be using bandades here. It may give you piece of mind to take it back and see what he says and if he has done the job a few times I would imagine he can remove tranny pretty fast.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Ray and Steve, thanks for the response. This is not a noise associated with the LWFW. You can hear and feel the splines on the pressure plate contacting the spring centered hub, when the pedal is depressed all the way (hard) to the floor.
Steve, you are right about the bandaid fix...it is not the way to go. My mechanic does primarily Shelby products. This is the first 996 clutch that he has done. If it is possible to reverse the clutch, that explains what is happening.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 AM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Two motors in less than 2 months. Assco LWF and Spec clutch. First motor looks like the thrust bearing is gone. Second motor broken crank shaft. Sent the flywheel back to Assco to be repaired and rebalanced had to replace the clutch, repair the bellhousing where the flywheel hit it multilple times and obviously replace the motor.

From what I hear the 3rd time is a charm!!!!
Tim is back on the track this week end with a new rebuilt motor at the Glen with PCA, he will be testing some new changes we made to the stock internals.

Along the way we have net worked with Jake Raby regarding the problems with both of Tim's engine. When we started Tim's engine rebuild first we sent the fly wheel to Assco for repair they did a great job and got it back to us in three days, the next thing we checked was the balance of the rotating assembly it was 16 grams out of balance that is just mind blowing. We think that the dull mass flywheel is used as a harmonic balancer to offset the pore balancing I would say if you are using a single mass flywheel you should have the motor rebalanced before using, that is just are opinion based on our finding so fare. Jake Raby has also found the same problem with these motors that we have. We re balanced the rotating assembly with in 2 tenths of a gram, made some changes to the stock pistons to make the rings seal better.

A friend of mine at the local Porsche dealer called me and told us about a new Porsche tech bulletin, it states if you use a single mass flywheel it will fractures the crank shaft.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by SSI Performance
A friend of mine at the local Porsche dealer called me and told us about a new Porsche tech bulletin, it states if you use a single mass flywheel it will fractures the crank shaft.
Could you post the TSB or at least the number. I have not seen this yet.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:20 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=SSI Performance;6610939]Tim is back on the track this week end with a new rebuilt motor at the Glen with PCA, he will be testing some new changes we made to the stock internals.

Along the way we have net worked with Jake Raby regarding the problems with both of Tim's engine. When we started Tim's engine rebuild first we sent the fly wheel to Assco for repair they did a great job and got it back to us in three days, the next thing we checked was the balance of the rotating assembly it was 16 grams out of balance that is just mind blowing. We think that the dull mass flywheel is used as a harmonic balancer to offset the pore balancing I would say if you are using a single mass flywheel you should have the motor rebalanced before using, that is just are opinion based on our finding so fare. Jake Raby has also found the same problem with these motors that we have. We re balanced the rotating assembly with in 2 tenths of a gram, made some changes to the stock pistons to make the rings seal better.

A friend of mine at the local Porsche dealer called me and told us about a new Porsche tech bulletin, it states if you use a single mass flywheel it will fractures the crank shaft.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks to know.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Could you post the TSB or at least the number. I have not seen this yet.
I will get the TSB from him this week and post
Old 05-31-2009, 01:55 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by SSI Performance
I will get the TSB from him this week and post
Thanks, I have checked all available TSBs on Renntech and saw no new flywheel related TSB...It would be nice to know this to be true rather than start an ugly rumor. After all there are lots of Porsches running LWFW with NO issues.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 3.6 crank now has 7 revisions that have been made to it by Porsche... That alone says there is a problem.

We have known that the use of the single mass flywheel can lead to fractured cranks for over a year now, but of course what do a few engine developers from America know?? People won't listen and will argue until Porsche releases a bulletin MONTHS after the issues have occurred..

One day people will listen and they will do so without denial or argument, but wait that would be in a "Perfect World"...

Sloan noted the same imbalance that we have when balancing assemblies and flywheels here under our roof, these are the instances that I have based my tech article on that I have ben waiting to release. Now that Porsche has released their bulletin it looks like I can finish the article and post it without receiving emails from those who doubt it's validity..

I enjoyed working with SSI on Tim's engine and getting him back on the track. Its nice to work with people who have the same experiences that we have..

Sloan, I need some pics of Tim's broken crank to add to my article as well as a copy of the"initial spin" balance screen from your balancer's computer.. I will have more data and broken parts than anyone can argue with once this article is completed... Send me that TSB if you can and I'll post it in the article as well, I only have it in the form of a copy/paste email.

Thanks to the Fatherland for finally waking up on this topic, it's only been a few years now that these cranks have been breaking..

The answer is a real crank-

Quick Reply: LWFW Installed...Impressions