996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LWFW Installed...Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I fell obligated to share the good with the bad. Today was not a good Porsche day. My wife and I were driving to a local shop to get the A/C recharged on the Porsche. I knew my tires are in poor shape, but I wanted to get the A/C charged, because I had to pick up my dad's van from the same shop. I had a flat about half way there on the freeway. The 295 tires prevented any damage to my wheel.

When I picked up my car on Wednesday, I test drove it hard. My mechanic did the same, with no problems. On my way home, I heard a loud metallic "bang" from the back of the car. No other problems..ran fine, sounded fine, and no oil leak.

Today, when I backed the car up about 30 feet to get off the freeway, I stalled it for the first time. When i restarted the car, it made an incredibly loud noise when I depressed the clutch. It sounded like a bad throw-out bearing (which I had replaced with the new Spec unit). The idle also started fluctuating. I drove the car an additional 100 yards off the off-ramp and into a parking lot. The noise continued. It could be heard from probably 100 feet away. I had the car towed back to my buddy's shop. Guess what....no more noise. I left it in my buddy's care for the weekend, with both of us scratching our heads. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long since you replaced the clutch??
This sounds like it could be the IMS death rumble, but it usually can't be heard that far away..
We might need to talk soon.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Jake, the clutch/LWFW went in two days ago. I have less than 20 miles on it. The noise was only apparent when I depressed the clutch. The car has less than 40,000 miles on it. Someday, I would love to upgrade my engine to your 3.7 motor...just not right now. I sincerely hope this is a problem with my newly installed clutch/flywheel.

I just bought new tires from Damon at the Tire Rack. Now, if I can just resolve that pesky little noise.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry to hear Mark, hope its not serious... keep us posted.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two motors in less than 2 months. Assco LWF and Spec clutch. First motor looks like the thrust bearing is gone. Second motor broken crank shaft. Sent the flywheel back to Assco to be repaired and rebalanced had to replace the clutch, repair the bellhousing where the flywheel hit it multilple times and obviously replace the motor.

From what I hear the 3rd time is a charm!!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Ferdinand, thanks. I will be surprised if we can figure it, out without pulling the transmission again. I'm glad I didn't do it myself and have this issue happen.

Tim, I'm sorry to hear that. I know that raceing is expensive, but that is ridiculous. Good luck. I sure hope that the flywheel and clutch didn't contribute (for selfish reasons).
Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Tim, Thanks for chiming in.. Your situation is ridiculous!!!

Lets talk Monday, I have been trying to work with Sloan and would like to go over a couple things with you.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

That's tough news Mark. Hope its nothing serious.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chao, thanks.

Today I discovered what one of the noises was. My mechanic told me that I have a large indentation on the inside of my right rear wheel. The loud "bang" that I heard must have been me hitting a rock, board, etc., while I was driving home. He said it looks repairable. At least we know what that noise was.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Chao, thanks.

Today I discovered what one of the noises was. My mechanic told me that I have a large indentation on the inside of my right rear wheel. The loud "bang" that I heard must have been me hitting a rock, board, etc., while I was driving home. He said it looks repairable. At least we know what that noise was.
What this means is that all the stalling and such was because of the internet!

Today, when I backed the car up about 30 feet to get off the freeway, I stalled it for the first time. When i restarted the car, it made an incredibly loud noise when I depressed the clutch. It sounded like a bad throw-out bearing (which I had replaced with the new Spec unit). The idle also started fluctuating. I drove the car an additional 100 yards off the off-ramp and into a parking lot. The noise continued. It could be heard from probably 100 feet away. I had the car towed back to my buddy's shop. Guess what....no more noise. I left it in my buddy's care for the weekend, with both of us scratching our heads. Any ideas?
Glad it wasn't anything tragic. Better go for a good drive on the weekend and enjoy that new FW!

Good news!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Chao, thanks.

Glad to read your problem was so minor - I was holding my breath for you.

Jake - thanks for the email reply. I will call you to discuss options for my still healthy MY01 C4 with 33k.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Cool... I am assembling an engine today, so the phone will be off and the door locked!!
Shoot me an email and we can come up with a good time to chat.

mfletch,
Glad to hear that issue was just a rock!!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

My wheel is repaired and I brought my car home yesterday. My buddy had it at his shop for a week. On one of the warmer days, he heard the same noise that I complained about. When the clutch pedal is mashed to the floor, the pressure plate goes too far and contacts the spring centered hub of the clutch. If I back off on the pressure, it goes away. It can be felt through the clutch pedal.

I removed the helper spring over a year ago, because I like the unassisted feel. I don't know if it limits the clutch pedal travel (I don't think it does). I have never heard of anybody else having this problem. I'm pretty sure that the spring centered hub contributes to the problem, because it protrudes further.

An easy solution to the problem will be to physically limit the clutch pedal from being depressed so far, by putting either additional foam padding behind the carpet or by putting something on the back of the clutch pedal assembly. I should only need to limit the travel by 1/2 inch to cure the problem. The clutch engages near the upper half of the pedal travel.

I'm fortunate this was such a minor problem. I drove the car home on back roads and got to romp on it a little bit, without worrying about my tires (thanks to Damon at the Tire Rack). The LWFW really seems to bring together all my other engine mods. I find myself having to really anticipate shifts in order to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter. I am really enjoying this modification.

Thanks again guys for the positive thoughts.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Is this common with this type clutch common? You can also try shortening the hydraulic clutch cylinder "rod" 1/2" so the clutch arm will not travel that far.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Mfletch,
Does your car have A/C still? Have you driven with the A/C on with the new LWFW? I ask because I did that same mod to a '93 RS America (right after the new car warranty expired) and the engine would stall when I pushed in the clutch to coast to a stop if I had the A/C on. I had Weltmeister recurve a chip to bring on the onset of idle at a higher RPM to prevent the stall. Just wondering if you have notice any stalling with the A/C on. My experience was 15 years ago on a two generations older car, but I was just curious if you have had that problem.

Quick Reply: LWFW Installed...Impressions