2003 996 X51 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,739 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj
Good Question. Right now I am in the process of getting married and full remodel on the house so I am thinking of taking some time off. So if its an easy sale I will do it and if not Im good to just keep on tracking.
getting married ?
are you drunk?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chsu74
I spent $40K+ on getting married last year. That's 6GT3 money. Hopefully my wife gets out of med school soon and make that back for the rest of my life...
trust me, MD wives are worth it.
how else would i have had 9 GT3's
in fact, i just sent her out for few additional night calls. i need more race rubber.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Mooty,

You and Dell have a LOT in common! You don't think he can afford all of his toys on his Professor's salary, do you?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:13 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^

hey, i am in investments. i invested in my wife!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

and a great investment it was!

Over 20 years ago I "invested" in my wife's education. She left a $45K+ corporate job to finish her Bachelors degree and then went on to get her Masters degree. After that she started teaching school for $26K per year. Some investment, huh?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chsu74
I spent $40K+ on getting married last year. That's 6GT3 money. Hopefully my wife gets out of med school soon and make that back for the rest of my life...

I'm in a similar boat. Got married to my wife last October. Could have had a GT3 after all was said and done. In a few years from now, we'll be ok after we buy her a practice (she's a Dentist). Until then, my car will have to wait. Doh!

She's worth it though. I even let her work on my teeth (on a rare occasion and only when she's not mad at me).
Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

WTG on putting the wife to work guys!.... we will all be driving in gt3s' soon!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by LJpete
She's worth it though. I even let her work on my teeth (on a rare occasion and only when she's not mad at me).
Thank god I am not the only "lab rat" around.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
trust me, MD wives are worth it.
how else would i have had 9 GT3's
in fact, i just sent her out for few additional night calls. i need more race rubber.
Mooty, thanks for keeping us focused on the long term "prize."
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

getting married ?
are you drunk?
Now you tell me!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eDoug
You've had some great cars in the past - and it appears as though this is done right. Sometimes, I think I'm just gonna end up where you were going. Is this still street legal (except emissions obviously)?

So - I don't think I'm seriously interested in buying - but I'm keenly interested in how this car compares to the p-cars in your past stable?

993 TT
996 & 997 GT3s
Cayman S

Inquiring minds want to know.....
Ok, not street legal at the moment. No side windows. I do not know what else would be needed except mufflers. Airbags?

As for comparisons, its hard to compare a car built for the track to a street car. All of my past cars had stock suspension (except the turbo) so there is NO comparison between the motons and stock in terms of stability and feel. The 997 gt3 had the best stock suspension but was still soft in my opinion. I am 2-3 seconds faster at VIR in this car than the 997 3 even with the loss of horse power. Having a car with a full cage and suspension/aerodynamics ect gives the car the feeling it should have on the track. As a trade off, horrible on the road if even to say undrivable.

So The GT3s are very fast and my favorite cars. The Cayman was the easiest to drive but left me wanting more HP. The 993 TT was awesome in all respects but I did not want AWD on the track and felt like I was beating up a classic. It was also heavy for the track.

The decision comes down to Street/Track or Track only. I dont think the two can really compare.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:31 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj
The decision comes down to Street/Track or Track only. I dont think the two can really compare.
Hey - thanks for the summary - that's actually very helpful. I was pleasantly surprised at your comparison of this modified track beast as compared to the GT3's on the track. Nice to know that starting with an almost "vanilla" C2 (except X51), you can build an awesome contender - and I understand that the GT3's were still capable street cars where this isn't... but still - good info to have as i don't think there are too many folks with your perspective.

I'm probably slowing down on my mods now - I have a very comfortable street car and one that's reasonably capable at the track for my intents and purposes. When I'm ready to jump to timed events/club racing, then I'll start with someone else's sorted track car - and figure out how to proceed. but again, nice to know that if the urge strikes me, I could probably use my current chassis as a platform.

Thanks again - good luck with the marriage - keep the sticky side down at the track!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eDoug
Hey - thanks for the summary - that's actually very helpful. I was pleasantly surprised at your comparison of this modified track beast as compared to the GT3's on the track. Nice to know that starting with an almost "vanilla" C2 (except X51), you can build an awesome contender - and I understand that the GT3's were still capable street cars where this isn't... but still - good info to have as i don't think there are too many folks with your perspective.

I'm probably slowing down on my mods now - I have a very comfortable street car and one that's reasonably capable at the track for my intents and purposes. When I'm ready to jump to timed events/club racing, then I'll start with someone else's sorted track car - and figure out how to proceed. but again, nice to know that if the urge strikes me, I could probably use my current chassis as a platform.

Thanks again - good luck with the marriage - keep the sticky side down at the track!
Sounds good. Again, the GT3 would be faster if equally equipped due to the increased HP and larger brake package. My 997 GT3 was stock with the exception of brake pads, seats, roll bar and Hoosier R6.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Trj
Now you tell me!
well, didn't i tell you why i dont drink any alcohol now, no beer, wine or even cooking wine

let's go back on topic and get TRJ out of that race car.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Right

well, didn't i tell you why i dont drink any alcohol now, no beer, wine or even cooking wine

let's go back on topic and get TRJ out of that race car.
If anyone is considering a race prepared vehicle, this is one sweet car. With the X51 and race mods done at Werkstat by Kenny, this is faster than the 996 Koni cars you see on the track. Aside from new racing seats and harnesses, this car needs nothing to be race ready in PCA Club or NASA. TRJ has only done DE and nothing more. TRJ is a fast driver and he also takes care of his car. Lutzo Kovacyk in VA Beach knows the car well and can offer insight into its condition.

TRJ is faster than me in my 2001 Carrera 3.4 L but sometimes he slows down so we can run together. Video of TRJ can be found here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcawJ1fAjYA

Good luck TRJ. I hope the car and Trailex go to the right person. Of course, I hope it does not sell so you can keep driving!

Quick Reply: 2003 996 X51 For Sale