Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Finally did the garage door hack (slight modification)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you buy the Homelink module just by itself? I have an 30 year old garage door and universals don't work for me. The only thing that has been able to work is my Homelink in my Grand and my wife's accord. I only have 1 transmitter so right now I'm using that in the Pcar but would love to have something more elegant than my 30 year old transmitter (which is the size of a cassette tape).

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

a universal should work... the garage door opener use a dry contact to open/close the door no? if it use a dry contact... a universal should def work.

BTW... if you have a pushbutton on your wall to open/close the door... it is a dry contact.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 AM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LJpete
Where can you buy the Homelink module just by itself? I have an 30 year old garage door and universals don't work for me. The only thing that has been able to work is my Homelink in my Grand and my wife's accord. I only have 1 transmitter so right now I'm using that in the Pcar but would love to have something more elegant than my 30 year old transmitter (which is the size of a cassette tape).

Thanks in advance,
Don't need to worry about any of that with the Flash2Pass....
Old 05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks in advance,
Here's one - not sure it's what you're looking for -

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHNSON-CONTROLS...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, the Genie mini I referenced earlier is no bigger than the Porsche key.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
LJpete
Pro

I have a Genie Garage door opener but it does not use a Genie remote. I'm not sure what is is as it just says ESP on it. This thing was installed in 1978 but the remotes I guess where installed later. Unfortunately, I've tried several universals including the Genie brand and none of them can learn my old remote with the exception of the homelink. $200+ for the homelink in ebay is a bit steep. I'll keep my eye out for one that is cheaper

Flash to pass is interesting (just did a search).
Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just search ebay for a homelink module. They pull them out of all types of cars. The one I used came from a Chrylser vehicle. Who cares what it looks like. You will hide it anyways.
What you should look for is one out of the same type of car that works for your opener now.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
LJpete
Pro

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully, I can find one out of a Jeep or Honda then.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a Genie Garage door opener but it does not use a Genie remote. I'm not sure what is is as it just says ESP on it. This thing was installed in 1978 but the remotes I guess where installed later. Unfortunately, I've tried several universals including the Genie brand and none of them can learn my old remote with the exception of the homelink. $200+ for the homelink in ebay is a bit steep. I'll keep my eye out for one that is cheaper

Flash to pass is interesting (just did a search).

you need something like this... the receiver is wired to your garage door opener. It is wired in parallel to your garage door open/close pushbutton on your wall. The receiver acts like the pushbutton when the transmitter is pressed.

You can buy something similar in sears... that you plug the receiver in a wall outlet.

http://www.northshorecommercialdoor....doopgire1.html

Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by redridge
you need something like this... the receiver is wired to your garage door opener.
OR..... you can just install a flash2pass for $70. Okay, I'll stop my plugging for that solution.... but it comes with the receiver that replaces your pushbutton in the garage, so it doesn't matter what garage door opener you have.

I gotta say, adding a new button is cool, but the stealthiness of just blinking your high beams is also way cool.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by eDoug
OR..... you can just install a flash2pass for $70. Okay, I'll stop my plugging for that solution.... but it comes with the receiver that replaces your pushbutton in the garage, so it doesn't matter what garage door opener you have.

I gotta say, adding a new button is cool, but the stealthiness of just blinking your high beams is also way cool.
But what happens if you "flash" someone on the highway. Does this cause their hood to open up?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks in advance,
I would contact Marwest Access Controls (www.aaaremotes.com) and tell them what you're looking for. They should be able to help you get rid of your big clunky remote.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
But what happens if you "flash" someone on the highway. Does this cause their hood to open up?
When I flash someone, they're eyes usually bug out.... I'm not sure why though.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:49 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully, I can find one out of a Jeep or Honda then.
Just remember Jeep=Chrysler. Might see if the owners manual for you car that works now say the homelink is rolling code capiple. If is then you need to find a homelink this is too. Otherwise make sure it is NOT rolling code capable.

Quick Reply: Finally did the garage door hack (slight modification)