Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2 links, $12k, and high mileage 996

So as I love to peruse car ads, I came across this located conveniently nearby:

996, 93,000 miles, asking $26,500

There isn't enough info in the add, but if this were optioned with LSD it would be pretty much my dream setup short of maybe some factory aero. As much as I would like the 3.6L motor, I prefer a throttle cable to drive-by-wire and I also would rather have an LSD than the extra 20 horses. So it being a '99 can be a good thing in my opinion.

So yes the car has 93,000 miles on it...but it looks like 93,000 enthusiast miles. I have put 97,000 miles on my 325Ci and most people guess it has a third of that, so I'm not automatically writing it off due to mileage.

KBB, on the other hand, seems to have done so:

Kelly Blue Book private party at $16,825

So is this guy really asking $12k too much? Is KBB out of their minds? Or somewhere in between.

I know a lot of talk has been going on about 996 prices and whatnot but I was just looking for some input for this particular car so please no flaming.

If it's got this many miles is it safe to assume the motor was manufactured well enough as to not have the RMS problem?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
RAC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had a dealer offer 12900 for my '99 C4 with 74K on it. This was a couple of months ago.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to say it, but I think you should bid, very politely, but bid right at the KBB number, and send him your rationale. I'm curious what a Galves or other black book number is looking like for that car. Then wait. If he needs to unload, all buyers will eventually hit him with the blue book number before signing a check. If you're polite, early, and in the back of his mind as a cash buyer ready to move at that number whenever he is, you might get yourself a deal. If I had to choose between selling for 16K and holding on forever, I couldn't let the car go unless I was sure it had issues, but hey, you never know.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by htny
If I had to choose between selling for 16K and holding on forever, I couldn't let the car go...
I here you. Having put all those miles on my 325, I know that it's been taken care of, but to anybody else that is almost 100k mysterious miles of who knows what. I'll never sell that car because it is worth way more (to me at least) than the 8-11k I'd be able to get out of it.

Let me get marky522's opinion on this...paging...
Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car has that many miles on it, more than likely your clear of any of the "weakness" problems these cars have. But if it doesnt have the newest RMS from mid 05 dont count yourself out of the RMS leak... Just keep in mind that these cars cost more to maintain. 02 senosors, MAF sensors, Cats, Air oil seperator, clutch, ignition switch, tires ( i can definatly help there), oil fill tubes, and the list goes on and on... And those parts arent cheap... Just watchin out for ya buddy, But i would be willing to agree that it would be a good car, pending a good look over... Keep in mind if that was on our lot it would be priced sub 20k... So yeah definatly OVERPRICED.... I could have bought a 01 with 25K CLEAN car VERY well maintained, for 25K last summer, before the bottom fell out of the world...

Mark
Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

I agree that the high miles takes a hit on the market value.

I'd also agree sub-$20k today.

Ask the owner if he holds the title, he may take your reasonable offer.
If he's financing and essentially upside down, he might decide against selling.

Good luck and keep hunting, they're great cars!

btw, I noticed those are actually sport seats which was a pricey option, but may or may not be important to you (they definitely hold you tight).
Ask him to send you the options from the front hood sticker.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought sport seats was a no-cost option from the factory???
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think I have ever seen one before that has both the Cassette and the CD. Pictures in ad show casette holder in dash, and a CD unit in the frunk (I just love that word. Learned it on this forum and been waiting to use it).

Sport seat have never been a no-cost option.
The Porsche Crests in the headrests were also extra cost.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

So those seats work marginally better than the regular seats (not comparing to comfort), and they were not an expensive option, they're just expensive to buy now.

I don't think that car is worth as little as some of the above suggestions. I would guess around $24k, but it's really up to you. As another data point, I have my car listed locally at $21.5k (it's up on Rennlist for $24k but I can't edit the ad!). It has lower miles and a reman'd motor, as well as an LSD. I haven't had ANY interest, but I'm probably going to keep it, as I get ready to swap the full GT3 suspension over.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Sports seats, in 1999, were $745. The Porsche Crests in the headrests were an additional $198.

What was no-cost was the non-smoker package. I mention this because the photos show the "Storage compartment replaces the Ash tray." (quote from my Model Year 1999 U.S. Order Guide dated May 22, 1998.
I didn't notice if the car pictured also had the 'Removeable plug over cigarette lighter" that was also part of that option package.

To clarify a bit the comment above about no-cost Sport Seats, I believe it can sometimes be confusing to see ONLY A PARTIAL price guide where-in the standard interior listings include the Sport Seats interior. However, in every case, they also include a statement in the footnotes that this selection requires option code P77, which is, of course, the seats themselves which cost about $800 if you want them on a new 997 or 987, today.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think KBB is really close to reality on this one. IMHO

Phil
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Fissionx
Racer

I'd say that car is worth low 20s. I think the 996s are close to hitting bottom, the economy is starting to recover and sports car prices going back up SLIGHTLY. I was trying to sell my '02 M3 throughout the recession and was watching prices very closely. I am starting to see them (e46 m3s) going for a bit more now.

Mine might be for sale soon:
'99, 90k miles, factory aero kit, litronics, sport seats (tan interior), 3 spoke steering wheel, gt3 suspension (springs,shocks,strut mounts,sway bars,adjustable links).
I have some 18" Kinesis (original kinesis) wheels on there now but would probably trade those for turbo twists since they'd fetch a fair amount here on rennlist.
How much could I ask?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 AM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by Thundertub
I don't think I have ever seen one before that has both the Cassette and the CD. Pictures in ad show casette holder in dash, and a CD unit in the frunk (I just love that word. Learned it on this forum and been waiting to use it).

Sport seat have never been a no-cost option.
The Porsche Crests in the headrests were also extra cost.
I have both cassette and the CD changer.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Fission you just got that 996!

I mean I was about to buy that M3 because it was non-sunroof...it all honesty if I had known it would go for what, 18k? I might rather have that then a 996.

The make or break on the car I listed is really LSD or no....yes I saw the sport seats but I doubt they compare to the sport seat I have in my 944...people have gotten fatter in those 10 years and I am pretty skinny. I called the guy a few hours ago and we'll see when he calls back.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Fissionx
Racer

Yes I agree 100% these cars need a LSD, even more so when you put stiff suspension and sway bars on them. I also agree with the held believe here that if a car comes with a LSD, the factory clutch packs are most likely worn out by now.
When I called; the guards unit was ~$2600 and FAR superior to anything from porsche. I also saw a brand new GT3 LSD go for $1000 a month ago.

I sold the car for 18.5 The 911 is sex on track; better than the M3 but I miss the M3 for it's all-purpose use, power curve, interior, etc...

Quick Reply: 2 links, $12k, and high mileage 996