Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

recommendations on in-line modulator for ipod/iphone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:10 AM
speedyjp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendations on in-line modulator for ipod/iphone?

i have the MOST on an 2003. read about how only Dension and DICE are available to integrate ipod/iphone on the MOST. but then found mentions of the other option of doing an inline modulator but with no details.

anybody do this and/or have recommendations?
i'm not looking to do a whole stereo upgrade since i can no longer appreciate a good audio. i.e., my hearing has went... lol but my hearing is good enough to know the fm modulators suk.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 986 Posts

I use a Griffin Roadtrip FM modulator. It charges my iPhone, and the sound quality is reasonable. It's not as good as a direct wired system, but for the money it does the job. It also holds the iPhone up so you can see it easily, and it makes using the iPhone's GPS very nice. I bought it at Walmart for about $60.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2009, 12:26 AM
speedyjp
Instructor

thx dennis. i have the belkin version and don't like it much. guess i'll have to buy the dension or dice since it doesn't appear that anybody has done an inline modulator.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 AM
rpratt
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedyjp
thx dennis. i have the belkin version and don't like it much. guess i'll have to buy the dension or dice since it doesn't appear that anybody has done an inline modulator.
I also just stopped using an FM modulator, although in my case it was by replacing the head unit on my 2000. But one trick you may want to try first, if your FM transmitter supports it, is to set your radio to a non-US locale, so you can tune to a lower FM range than is used in the US, and then set your FM transmitter to the same non-US frequency (87.something, typically).

That worked for me reasonably well in the SF Bay Area, which doesn't have a lot of open FM frequencies.

Bob
Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 PM
TTJunkie

Speedy:
Check out http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html for the cheapest price I've found so far ($489) on the Dension IceLink.
I'm having the same problem justifying $500 for something that should cost $50. Tell me if you decide to buy; I need a push!
Ric :-)
Old 04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
speedyjp
Instructor

Originally Posted by TTJunkie
Speedy:
Check out http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html for the cheapest price I've found so far ($489) on the Dension IceLink.
I'm having the same problem justifying $500 for something that should cost $50. Tell me if you decide to buy; I need a push!
Ric :-)
Ric, yep that $500 just to listen to my iPod is a leap. Easier to justify if we put it towards a suspension, etc. I missed out on a new dension for $350!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:23 PM
speedyjp
Instructor

Bob, do u know how to set a cdr230 to non-US? at least worth the exercise till I find a better solution. thx.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
rpratt
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedyjp
Bob, do u know how to set a cdr230 to non-US? at least worth the exercise till I find a better solution. thx.
Unfortunately, not any more, since when I replaced my head unit I did a thorough job of disposing of all the old documentation. But it should be in the manual for your stereo, it was in mine.

Bob

Quick Reply: recommendations on in-line modulator for ipod/iphone?