Sponsored by:

Next Handling Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:02 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
IMO, the front GT3 sways with short drop links are not the optimal solution for the 996. You can achieve better results (including loaded suspension geometry) with (1) HR front bar and stock links, (2) front GT3 wheel carriers and GT3 sway bars, or 93) the new Tarett sway mounts with GT3 sway bars.

-td
Thanks for the thoughtful reply... Anyone know anything about the Tarett sways & drop link kits? Looks like a good alternate with 4 & 5 setting adjustability... Guess I could always soften them up when not at the track....

My last DE was in full wet conditions and I felt like the car was extremely neutral - had plenty of control over balance using only the throttle. I don't think I'd be comfortable with any more oversteer than I currently have dialed in...

Okay, so last question is what will sway bars do for me if balance is good already? Crisper turn-in and flatter through the corners, hence slightly more traction -> slightly higher speeds? Again - wondering how much of an improvement I should expect for the $1k or so investment.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:14 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by eDoug
Thanks for the thoughtful reply... Anyone know anything about the Tarett sways & drop link kits? Looks like a good alternate with 4 & 5 setting adjustability... Guess I could always soften them up when not at the track....
Tarett provides the GT3 swaybar, not an independently engineered version. The updated drop link system is not listed on the website. Call Ira directly.

Okay, so last question is what will sway bars do for me if balance is good already? Crisper turn-in and flatter through the corners, hence slightly more traction -> slightly higher speeds? Again - wondering how much of an improvement I should expect for the $1k or so investment.
Sway bars have 2 main functions: 1) controlling lateral weight transfer. This keeps the wheels working better during cornering resulting in a better balanced car able to set quicker - and ultimately going through and exiting a corner faster. One huge benifit of bigger sways is limiting body roll in chicanes, another benefit is reducing alignment (camber) changes during cornering. (2) controlling over/understeer on a macro level. For fine tuning, you should adjust you bump/rebound. Adjusting front/rear grip can be beneficial when you change tires widths or profiles.

If your handling is already good, you don't necessarily need better sway bars. However, if you are running stock or ROW M030 sways, they are typically considered inadequate for heavy track use. The "bigger" bars are substantially stiffer, and mesh quite nicely with PSS9 (or other) suspensions. I would be very surprised if you upgraded sway bars (from stock or ROW M030) and did not notice a marked improvement.

Keep in mind, the sways are just one component in a complex system that needs to be tuned properly.

-td
Old 04-17-2009, 06:36 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Tarett provides the GT3 swaybar, not an independently engineered version. The updated drop link system is not listed on the website. Call Ira directly.
-td
Ahh - I see now that I read the description on their website... will call them before making the move - seems like a great solution - and again, if I find them a little harsh on my local roads, then I can always soften them up.

Link to Tarett Front Swaybar Kit

Looks like $1,100 for this setup vs. about $600+ for the H&Rs, but seems like it's money well spent to get set up right.

I'll also ask them about the prospect of the blade sways...
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by eDoug
Ahh - I see now that I read the description on their website... will call them before making the move - seems like a great solution - and again, if I find them a little harsh on my local roads, then I can always soften them up.

Link to Tarett Front Swaybar Kit

Looks like $1,100 for this setup vs. about $600+ for the H&Rs, but seems like it's money well spent to get set up right.

I'll also ask them about the prospect of the blade sways...
Suncoast might be cheaper on the parts, even Tarett links: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...=996Suspension

Also, you shouldn't notice much difference in harshness due to sway bars. Stiffer springs and tight bump is the primary culprit.

-td
Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Suncoast might be cheaper on the parts, even Tarett links: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...=996Suspension

Also, you shouldn't notice much difference in harshness due to sway bars. Stiffer springs and tight bump is the primary culprit.

-td
Hey! - So I ordered the setup from Tarett this morning, GT3 sways front & rear with the Tarett drop links. He's still working on the blade-style bar for the rear, might be ready later this year. However, for my application, the GT3's are probably just fine - and about half the price. I would've used suncoast, could have saved a few $. But I'd rather throw my business to the smaller guy doing all the work, and by the time the shipping charges were negotiated, it was only about $11 more to go with Tarett directly. I'm happy to support small business!
I've heard awesome things about Tarett by the way, great customer service, awesome products, and they stand behind everything 100%.

Once I have them installed in a few weeks, I'll plan to repost. But I will say, that I've been extremely pleased with my upgrade path so far, the PSS9s were a sweet deal and the car looks and actually rides better than with the stock US suspension... I have a DE scheduled at CMP mid-May, so I can also post impressions after that event.

Cheers....

Last edited by eDoug; 04-20-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
SealGrey986
Track Day

pdobbs, I hope it`s ok to borrow your thread! I have same question for you guys.

Curren setup:
KW V3 Coilovers
H&R ARB`s
GT3 front lower control arms for camber
MPSC`s
Light weight wheels
GT2 Brakes
Performance alignment

So what do you recomend for the next upgrades? I was considering rear dog bones, bumpsteer kit (front & rear) and monoball top mounts. Some thing else? Are there any use for monoball top mounts when I already have enough negative camber (F -2.6 & R-2.3)?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Next Handling Upgrade?