Sponsored by:

Help..Total Power Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help..Total Power Failure

This is for a friend of mine who has a 2002 996 Cab. Below is what happened & some background.

Total electrical failure on the way home. I was bedding in the brakes, everything was going fine and on what was to be my last run I cranked it up to 110 and hit the brakes. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, the tires locked up and the car acted like it was going to stall. I managed to get it to the side of the road and everything seemed okay after a few seconds – no lights and idling fine. I decided I should get out and check the tires so I turned the car off. Everything went dead the instant I turned the key and did not come back on – no clicking, no nothing.

The background is that the car just had new rotors and Pagid pads installed. Also at the same time the seats were replaced with Racetech race seats. The factory buckle was hooked up correctly so the airbag light did not go off.

This one is baffling.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Old 04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check your battery cables, bet one is loose
Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 PM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the alternator ...
Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ground strap, i'm thinking. maaaaybe coil packs
Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please let us know what happened.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Last thing touched first thing suspect. As someone else suggested battery cables...

Originally Posted by xupkid2
This is for a friend of mine who has a 2002 996 Cab. Below is what happened & some background.

Total electrical failure on the way home. I was bedding in the brakes, everything was going fine and on what was to be my last run I cranked it up to 110 and hit the brakes. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, the tires locked up and the car acted like it was going to stall. I managed to get it to the side of the road and everything seemed okay after a few seconds – no lights and idling fine. I decided I should get out and check the tires so I turned the car off. Everything went dead the instant I turned the key and did not come back on – no clicking, no nothing.

The background is that the car just had new rotors and Pagid pads installed. Also at the same time the seats were replaced with Racetech race seats. The factory buckle was hooked up correctly so the airbag light did not go off.

This one is baffling.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
One's loose from having been disconnected to work on other areas of car.

Another thing to check is ignition switch. Does your friend have a humongous ring of heavy keys with Porsche key he inserts into ignition switch? If so switch worn out and breaking electrical contact.

Also, double check seat installation no wiring pinched/cut by seats.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

electrical, disturbed by the high G maneuver.

Quick Reply: Help..Total Power Failure