thin cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
brandon113
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thin cup holders

hay folks

Does anyone know if the thin cup holder on the 2002 996 will fit the 2000? Wanting to put a Double Din Radio in but dont want to loose my cup holder. And does anyone know where to find them?

Thanks
Brandon
Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Nope, the frame is different. On early model the bottom of the center vent is curved. The support frame and trim come as one unit. On later models it is flat and this is where the cupholders go. The support frame and trim come as separate units. You can change out the frame, etc. The frame also varies based on whether you have the in dash GPS/Radio or just radio.

So to do a double DIN radio and have cupholders you would have to upgrae to the new frame and trim. Or you could go http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/ which fits on the console. Many members here like them, and my buddy has them. Personally I don't care for them as they hit my leg.

Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Another Don
Advanced

Brandon, believe me you're not missing anything by not having those cupholders. I have them in my '04 and I can't imagine actually using them.

They are (what's the word I want....?) rickety. They just don't inspire a lot of confidence that if a cup or bottle were in them, they would actually hold it securely. I can't imagine much that would be worse than that cup of soda or coffee suspended over the center of the car in the midst of a panic stop. I've got to believe my radio and a/c controls would be wearing the liquid after that maneuver and nothing good would result from that.

I have those cupholders that were mentioned in the prior post and while a little cumbersome, they work well.

A Don
Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 AM
brandon113
AutoX

Default Thanks

thanks for the info just what I needed.....

Brandon
Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Don
Brandon, believe me you're not missing anything by not having those cupholders. I have them in my '04 and I can't imagine actually using them.

They are (what's the word I want....?) rickety. They just don't inspire a lot of confidence that if a cup or bottle were in them, they would actually hold it securely. I can't imagine much that would be worse than that cup of soda or coffee suspended over the center of the car in the midst of a panic stop. I've got to believe my radio and a/c controls would be wearing the liquid after that maneuver and nothing good would result from that.

I have those cupholders that were mentioned in the prior post and while a little cumbersome, they work well.

A Don
+1

The cupholder is not good. I believe that if you look in the manual, it says something like "don't use the cupholders while driving the vehicle". I guess it's just for those times when you want to sit in your car in the garage and have a cup of coffee... and even then, it won't hold a big cup of coffee...
Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Yeah I found that cupholder to be terrible. The (faux) one in the armrest is great tho. I dont know why, but I'm yet to have a sports car where the engineers could create a half way decent cup holder.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
Yeah I found that cupholder to be terrible. The (faux) one in the armrest is great tho. I dont know why, but I'm yet to have a sports car where the engineers could create a half way decent cup holder.
Wow - I'm surprised. I have an '02 C4S and use the stock cupholder every day on the way to work - no problems.

I use a stainless steel travel mug with lid and never had a spill. That being said I wouldn't put a Starbucks paper cup in the holder - just in case.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Wow - I'm surprised. I have an '02 C4S and use the stock cupholder every day on the way to work - no problems.

I use a stainless steel travel mug with lid and never had a spill. That being said I wouldn't put a Starbucks paper cup in the holder - just in case.
Maybe it depends on the shape. Mine didnt fit perfectly enough for me to comfortably leave up there w/o fear of it spilling.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 PM
targa sixfour
Intermediate

I just had a double din unit installed and I have a thin cup holder.
The installer warned me not to use the cup holder, He has seen alot of damaged units caused by spilled drinks. And voids all warranty!!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I use the "ultimate cupholder" and put it on the passenger side. It's easy to reach over and grab my drink, it doesn't get in the way, and if there's ever a spill - it goes on my floor mat.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

The cupholders are only for use while the car is at rest. I think it actually says that somewhere in the manual. Hence the feeble and shallow nature of the holder.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
+1

The cupholder is not good. I believe that if you look in the manual, it says something like "don't use the cupholders while driving the vehicle". I guess it's just for those times when you want to sit in your car in the garage and have a cup of coffee... and even then, it won't hold a big cup of coffee...
They're plenty strong enough to hold a can of soda, but I really wouldn't risk putting a big gulp there.

I suspect Porsche put the "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T USE THIS WHILE DRIVING!!!!!" for 3 reasons:

1) They're German and simply don't like the thought of someone "distracting" themselves by taking a sip.

2) It holds can rather well, so it's not likely to come tumbling out, but in hard corners, it could still splash/spill, especially if it's full.

3) It *is* rather flimsy. Might be fine at rest, but if you hit a hard bump with two cans of soda in it, the forces multiply and it could easily snap.

I use mine all the time. I try to always either leave the can unopened or drink down the top 1.5"+ of soda so as to not spill it. I don't like pulling the extension for 2 cans- double the weight and increasing the lever arm just seems to tempt fate.

Quick Reply: thin cup holders