Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

From 28 Miles/Week garage queen to 450 miles per week DD!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:22 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking From 28 Miles/Week garage queen to 450 miles per week DD!

I bought my 2003 C4 with 6,100 miles. A 4 year old car with 6,100 miles! How much fun the original owner missed out on!

At first my 911 was a 3rd car, and thus I only put 7k miles after one year of ownership as I balanced car usage.

Recently, I have reduced our household to 2 cars, one for my wife, and the C4 for me, and now I drive my 911 constantly to the tune of about 450 miles per week.

The car is loving it - it runs so smoothly - and I am loving it!

A pointless post, really, other then the message being about when I leave for work at 6am I am smiling as I look forward to time enjoying my ride in, and taking the top down for my ride home.

The way I see it, the damn thing is depreciating if I drive it or not, AND, life is short, so I'm going to drive the heck out of it!

So for all the garage queens out there, you can start enjoying your 911, or wait for its eventual buyer to do that for you!

John
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

nice...
Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Congrats!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I saw this thread and was hoping it was Phil......... then I woke up.

Congrats.... enjoy!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

John, thats a great pic!! Open, nicely paved road, with no traffic.... ahhhh heaven.

I've been using mine as a DD for about a year. Im not putting on the mileage you are - but getting in and driving to and from work is certainly one of the best parts of my day.

Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Redridge, it's not me - mine has half that many miles. But since emerging from storage, I've been driving it every nice day here in PA - I have to put some miles on the car. It makes no sense to let it sit. I'm not planning on using it as a DD, but (even though I said I'd do it last year) WILL drive it more this year.

OK, guys -- flame away!!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmirand
So for all the garage queens out there, you can start enjoying your 911, or wait for its eventual buyer to do that for you!

John
Except if you have no intentions of ever selling the car.
My 996TT has 5556 miles on it, just came back from a 3 month stay at the detailer's over the winter (words can't describe how it came out) and it will be my son's car when I'm gone.

So depreciation means nothing to some people and there is an important role for garage queens.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
Except if you have no intentions of ever selling the car.
My 996TT has 5556 miles on it, just came back from a 3 month stay at the detailer's over the winter (words can't describe how it came out) and it will be my son's car when I'm gone.

So depreciation means nothing to some people and there is an important role for garage queens.
Oh boy. POST PICS .... please!!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 AM
LJpete
Pro

What a great picture, top down and open road. Looks like heaven. After seeing that picture I want to drive my car to work. Then reality sinks in and I think of DC traffic.

I do drive it to work on occasion but not as often as I would like.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Redridge, it's not me - mine has half that many miles. But since emerging from storage, I've been driving it every nice day here in PA - I have to put some miles on the car. It makes no sense to let it sit. I'm not planning on using it as a DD, but (even though I said I'd do it last year) WILL drive it more this year.

OK, guys -- flame away!!

Oh stop it. Just STOP IT!!!!!

I can't believe you made me come out of "retirement" again to refute this. Some of the naive Newbies might actually believe this crap! You know that I am not a big fan of Newbies, but even they need some protection from this type of malicious propaganda.

Did you forget who your audience is??? You are not on the Audi TT Forum, this is the 996 Forum! Do you think we just fell off the f*cking turnip truck??? Jeeze!

I'll believe it when I see it. I have a better chance of getting another Porsche and driving it 10K miles BEFORE you reach the 10K mile mark!

Phil, I hope you do drive it more this year. Hell, you couldn't possibly drive it less!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
Oh stop it. Just STOP IT!!!!!

I can't believe you made me come out of "retirement" again to refute this. Some of the naive Newbies might actually believe this crap! You know that I am not a big fan of Newbies, but even they need some protection from this type of malicious propaganda.

Did you forget who your audience is??? You are not on the Audi TT Forum, this is the 996 Forum! Do you think we just fell off the f*cking turnip truck??? Jeeze!

I'll believe it when I see it. I have a better chance of getting another Porsche and driving it 10K miles BEFORE you reach the 10K mile mark!

Phil, I hope you do drive it more this year. Hell, you couldn't possibly drive it less!
Tim, I'll do or say anything to get you out of retirement. Looks like my strategy worked.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I actually figured that Phil would be breaking out in a cold sweat in reading that thread title.... the only way that Phil is driving his C4S ever day is if he has problems with his TT.... oh, wait, maybe him driving the car every day is not as far fetched as I first thought.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim - I hope you can see how important it is for you to stay out of retirement. The Phil mileage project is still a work-in-progress. You can't just leave before its completion.

Bob
Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Enjoy your commute. I think you will find out just how much of a work horse these cars really are.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wellardmac

I actually figured that Phil would be breaking out in a cold sweat in reading that thread title.... the only way that Phil is driving his C4S ever day is if he has problems with his TT.... oh, wait, maybe him driving the car every day is not as far fetched as I first thought.
Wrong. TT breaks down, I beg my wife to drive her car. Don't want to disturb the battery maintainer on the Porsche too often!

Quick Reply: From 28 Miles/Week garage queen to 450 miles per week DD!