Service intervals on 996

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Yeah, yeah. I already do that (unless the car is under its cover). But, seriously, what about bleeding the brakes and flushing the coolant?? Dammit - Tim, Wayne, and others are gonna bust my *** for these questions.
<sigh>

Phil... Phil... Phil. You have to be a glutton for punishment.

Salayc is correct on both counts.

Coolant - Porsche does say the coolant is "lifetime." However, it may not be a bad idea to change it as part of the 60,000 mile Major service interval. So in your case, make a note to have the coolant system flushed and the coolant replaced on your 140th birthday.

Brake Fluid - You should change you brake fluid every two years or more often if you track the car and boil your brake fluid. <Tim thinks to himself> no danger of THAT happening in Phil's car!

Brake fluid absorbs moisture, which in turn will lower the boiling point of the brake fluid by as much as 30%. The excess water moisture can cause valves to corrode and stick. The moisture can create a rusty sludge that can clog the valves and pistons in the brake system.

Check out these links. They are worth 5 to 7 minutes of reading.

http://www.brakefluidtester.com/downloads/clean.PDF
http://www.type2.com/library/brakes/brakef.htm

Phil, one more thing to add to your maintenance list. You will need to replace the luminescent fluid that makes your "little green circle thingie" illuminate because the luminescent properties become diminished after a few years. It requires only two ounces of fluid but the fluid is VERY expensive, currently running about $480 per ounce. The reason the fluid is so expensive is because it comes from Fireflies and harvesting the fluid involves a very delicate and time consuming process to "milk" the fluid from the green Fireflies. Red and yellow Fireflies can not be used for this purpose. You may want to check with Holbert's before you have this done, because the fluid is available only as a "special oder" item.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
<sigh>
Coolant - Porsche does say the coolant is "lifetime." However, it may not be a bad idea to change it as part of the 60,000 mile Major service interval. So in your case, make a note to have the coolant system flushed and the coolant replaced on your 140th birthday.

Brake Fluid - You should change you brake fluid every two years or more often if you track the car and boil your brake fluid. <Tim thinks to himself> no danger of THAT happening in Phil's car!

Phil, one more thing to add to your maintenance list. You will need to replace the luminescent fluid that makes your "little green circle thingie" illuminate because the luminescent properties become diminished after a few years. It requires only two ounces of fluid but the fluid is VERY expensive, currently running about $480 per ounce. The reason the fluid is so expensive is because it comes from Fireflies and harvesting the fluid involves a very delicate and time consuming process to "milk" the fluid from the green Fireflies. Red and yellow Fireflies can not be used for this purpose. You may want to check with Holbert's before you have this done, because the fluid is available only as a "special oder" item.

Tim, what took you so long to respond to my post? Sleeping in?

I'm on Holbert's Special Birthday Maintenance Schedule. See, on my even numbered birthdays, they send me a reminder to bring in the Porsche for service with a special note to "please not forget my wallet." Their whole service department is waiting for me when I get there. They usually have a cake for me when I come in.

Isn't the "little green circle luminescent fluid service" covered under my CPO? If not, the fireflies will be out in a couple of months and it'll be one of my first DIY's. Always appreciate the tips, Tim.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Yeah, yeah. I already do that (unless the car is under its cover). But, seriously, what about bleeding the brakes and flushing the coolant?? Dammit - Tim, Wayne, and others are gonna bust my *** for these questions.
Phil, aim on changing your brake fluids every 2 years, regardless of mileage. As for oil - I tend to do mine annually before it goes away for the winter. You could probably get away with every 2 years.

The biggest worry for your car is just plain old degradation of seals, gaskets, belts and other parts. If Holberts is doing an annual service on your car, then they should be looking out for those things for you.

<now the beating>
Phil, if you were just driving your car like normal people, then you wouldn't have to worry so much about these things. Save us all some strife and worry - go drive your car... just not today because I know it's raining.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Phil, aim on changing your brake fluids every 2 years, regardless of mileage. As for oil - I tend to do mine annually before it goes away for the winter. You could probably get away with every 2 years.

The biggest worry for your car is just plain old degradation of seals, gaskets, belts and other parts. If Holberts is doing an annual service on your car, then they should be looking out for those things for you.
<now the beating>
Phil, if you were just driving your car like normal people, then you wouldn't have to worry so much about these things. Save us all some strife and worry - go drive your car... just not today because I know it's raining.
Wayne: First, Holberts claims to be checking seals etc. everytime my car is in for service, and all is well.

Second, define "normal." I've always had a hard time doing that.

I took the car out three times this week!!! I know that's hard to believe, but I'm trying. It's just that when the Audi roadster top works (and it's been cooperating this week), it's a hoot to drive, too!
Old 04-11-2009, 04:24 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wayne: First, Holberts claims to be checking seals etc. everytime my car is in for service, and all is well.

Second, define "normal." I've always had a hard time doing that.

I took the car out three times this week!!! I know that's hard to believe, but I'm trying. It's just that when the Audi roadster top works (and it's been cooperating this week), it's a hoot to drive, too!
Phil
I am nowhere like some of these guys here picking on you... geeesh!

PS. When you say took the car out, do you mean onto the driveway, or out out?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Phil
I am nowhere like some of these guys here picking on you... geeesh!

PS. When you say took the car out, do you mean onto the driveway, or out out?
Hmmm, not sure about your first comment. Anyway, I actually took it "out out." It was looking for the battery maintainer when we got back to the garage though.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:55 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Phil,

I take it that your car requires the special connector (pictured below) for the battery maintainer?
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2009, 02:25 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, not sure about your first comment. Anyway, I actually took it "out out." It was looking for the battery maintainer when we got back to the garage though.
I meant I am not like some of these heartless guys that continually
pick on you... oh wait... never mind
Old 04-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
Phil,

I take it that your car requires the special connector (pictured below) for the battery maintainer?
Cruel, Tim. Just cruel.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Cruel, Tim. Just cruel.
cruel, but true!

Quick Reply: Service intervals on 996