Sponsored by:

brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
You're reading a lot into his post that just is not there IMHO.
Read statements below.

Originally Posted by maniac
Which type of brake pads do you recommend me for my 996, that will be good in performance for DE, but will not be very noisy for driving on the street.

[and]

The reason is that on this weekend DE track driving, while in the inspection prior to racing, I was told that I will need to replace my brake pads and resurface the discs if I want to run on the next DE.
I asked what his experience level was, and my reply to his original question(s) was:
Originally Posted by me
There is no reason to upgrade to track parts at this stage.

and

I can't see any real reason for you to upgrade pads
I clearly recommended not to upgrade pads and NOT to get R-comps or Pagid Blacks or Oranges, etc. I really believe you understood and knew what I meant by "agressive pads." As a fellow track junky, I'm fairly certain that we are all on the same page with respect to "performance parts" and "aggressive pads." In fact, your suggestion of "mild pads" confirms this. You are saying the same thing (don't upgrade to "performance" parts) just in a different way. I'm not sure why you decided to call me out on this one. Maybe it's just Monday. No worries.

Again, I don't think he needs to upgrade anything for his 2nd DE.

Maybe, just maybe, you actually read too much into MY posts...
-td
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

problem with Porsche's sports pads is that they are noisy on the street... I have them and they are great for track but when cold... squeal like a pig!... though they seem to have lessen.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, nice backpedal

I love the creative highlight of this

"Which type of brake pads do you recommend me for my 996, that will be good in performance for DE, but will not be very noisy for driving on the street."

But not this

"Which type of brake pads do you recommend me for my 996, [B]that will be good in performance for DE, but will not be very noisy for driving on the street."

If you can tell me which "aggressive pads" you are refering to that will not be noisy I'd love to hear about them. Hell I'd probably buy some.

From what I read the OP is not looking for a heavy track pad, just a "good" pad to improvement performance over stock that won't squeal.

As I said I see no issue running such a pad on street tires and nothing you have said has convinced me otherwise.

I will agree to disagree.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I think it is bad advice to advocate upgrading parts to a complete novice. ...I think ANY upgrades to make the car perform better are not a good idea. They won't know anyway -as they have no baseline to compare it to.

-td
Completely agree. There are VERY few people who need to be thinking about performance upgrades to their car after one DE. Upgrade the driver first. Worry about the car later.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray
If you can tell me which "aggressive pads" you are refering to that will not be noisy I'd love to hear about them. Hell I'd probably buy some.
seriously. What? Back on aggressive pad? My suggestion was not to upgrade anything. I give up.

I see no issue running such a pad on street tires and nothing you have said has convinced me otherwise.

I will agree to disagree.
You can run whatever you want on your car, ray. I'm not trying to convince you to do squat. Earlier, you asked why I thought something, to which I gave my opininion. Then you decided to pick a fight about it. Whatever. I really believe you know what I meant and understood what I said, but decided to mince words and argue about it. Not sure what I did, but sorry it offended you. C'est la vie.

I don't need bickering just so you can have an excuse to "agree to disagree." I think you add value to the forum, I just don't have the time or energy to deal with nonsense and twisting my statements just to troll for responses. So, no offense, I'm blocking you.

Anyway, the cool part is, now you're joining my Benjamin Choi list. Yikes!

Best to you.

-td

Last edited by himself; 04-07-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
So, no offense, I'm blocking you.

Anyway, the cool part is, now you're joining my Benjamin Choi list. Yikes!

Best to you.

-td
Nice, so much for a civil discussion.

Bye bye....
Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, much different opinions here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...boxster-s.html
Old 04-08-2009, 07:03 AM
maniac
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys very good suggestions!!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the proverbial nutshell:

Yellows: Squeal quite a bit for street use. #1 for track use.

Black: High friction, squealy on street, great bit, more rotor wear than Yellow or Orange

Orange: Usually markedly less noise thant the above two. Lighter dust, less cost, great pad for beg/int track usage.

Call me: 425-765-1090 and I can elaborate on usages for any purpose.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had good luck with Carbotech's XP8 pads on other cars (getting them for the 911 soon). I use it for the street as well. It makes a little noise when it's colder outside, but not much if any when it's summertime. Anything more agressive in the Carbotech line will make a lot of noise on the street.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

To continue on the friendly portion of this thread

I am currently running Hawks HP's with Sumi's. I do 3-4 DE's a year and leave the pads on year round. My car is a daily driver. I don't have brake squeal but the wheels get dusty now and than depending on how you are driving.

I had Pagids on my '86 Carrera. Blacks in front and orange in back or vice versa (don't remember). Those worked extremeley well but ate my rotors. Granted 13 years of technology separated the cars though.

Either way whatever you do......new pads are better than old ones.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:55 PM
EB847
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did oem sport pads/stoptech braided lines/ate fluid/gt3 ducts and am very happy. the pads were quiet, then sqeaked some for a period, then the squeek went away completely.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
To continue on the friendly portion of this thread

I am currently running Hawks HP's with Sumi's. I do 3-4 DE's a year and leave the pads on year round. My car is a daily driver. I don't have brake squeal but the wheels get dusty now and than depending on how you are driving.

I had Pagids on my '86 Carrera. Blacks in front and orange in back or vice versa (don't remember). Those worked extremeley well but ate my rotors. Granted 13 years of technology separated the cars though.

Either way whatever you do......new pads are better than old ones.
i have the hawk ceramic on mine. i put them on last summer and seem to work great. just about the same as stock for braking distance and feel, but virtually no dust. i imagine since they're ceramic composite that there's less heat and greater fade resistance than stock.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Hi,

I just ordered the Porsche Sport pads from Suncoast. Was thinking about just swapping out for DE (I run in white, will probably be in black soon), but how are they on street and how rough on rotors if I just leave 'em on?

Also, any particular bedding-in for these?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by H2OJazz
Hi,

I run flat outin white, will probably be in black soon!

Quick Reply: brake pads