Sponsored by:

Complete Overhaul for Replacing Stock Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech

To the OP, the MOST system/amp has a fiberoptic input, Therein lies the problem. No aftermarket stereo has a fiber output, and there are no "Modules" that will convert RCA to fiberoptic. Some shops will propose to run the Bose speakers from the head unit or a new amp, but the problem is that they are not designed to do this. The Bose speakers are low energy units designed to work with Bose "digital trickery". If you use the speakers without the amp all bets are off as far as sound quality. Plus you may blow the speakers prematurely, and then have to replace them anyway. That is why I HATE the stock system.
Thx Medtech, that is exactly what the shop told me....was just hoping there was an adapter out there...oh well.

One thing I didn't like was the waaaaayyyy overpriced components he quoted me and the ridiculous labor he also quoted me. Taking my business elsewhere for a $1000 bucks less. That $1000 will go to my stripper fund haha
Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Army Guy
If you do change it all out, what do you plan to do with the Bose components? I have been wanting to upgrade my OEM setup to include door speakers etc. In theory, it should eb an easy upgrage. But as this is Porshe, I am sure that my fantasy of a reasonably priced upgrade will be dashed ont he rocks of reality....
I plan on hanging on to them, so I switch out the car in the future, I can hang on to all this aftermarket stuff.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Man, I love my 2002
+1 - my MY01 is looking pretty good too!

Rudy
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
E. coli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by medtech
I guess what we would like to know is what EXACTLY he did, and how you like the sound. If it is powering only the sub then is he powering all the speakers directly from the head unit?
Perhaps, I do know the factory amp is still connected and tucked away in it's spot next to the spare in the truck. I'll be able to get the exact verbage of what was done this weekend when I stop by the shop. The sound is far from audiophile quality but the sound is good and acceptable for a mobile sound system.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yup, Gotta love 02!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 PM
atx.911
Instructor

lol on the pre 03 love, but know this, my system will sound better than Bose stock amp and speakers!

I have been meaning to upgrade anyways, just decided to get it done now. I already put a sub and amp in there and I amazed at the amount of base that can come from an 8 inch sub.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Yup, Gotta love 02!

that looks great! Even the color/texture of the surround looks super close to OEM. I wish sometimes I didn't have the MOST bus.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check over at 986forum.com. i know a lot of the boxster guys have messed with this. i believe there is a current solution that emulates MOST; basically, you buy a converter. the new head unit hooks up to the converter & the converter ouputs to the MOST components.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:04 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Stereo-noobie question: Is the 2003 NON-Bose stereo also a MOST fiber-optic system? Just curious since my 03 non-Bose car came (to me) with an Alpine head-unit and a pair of Alpine digital amps. I'm wondering how that's possible given what the above posters have stated?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Stereo-noobie question: Is the 2003 NON-Bose stereo also a MOST fiber-optic system? Just curious since my 03 non-Bose car came (to me) with an Alpine head-unit and a pair of Alpine digital amps. I'm wondering how that's possible given what the above posters have stated?
It's possible. It's not that you can't put an aftermarket stereo in. It's just that if you do you WILL have to replace the amp AND most likely the speakers as well. This of course doubles the cost.

Quick Reply: Complete Overhaul for Replacing Stock Stereo