996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Gauge rings Aluminum or Carbon Fibre?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

There a no stock rings. The CF or Aluminum rings stick on directly over the edges of the stock gauges. Don't use the super glue that they send with it, but rather some double sided sticky tape. For best results, remove the cluster from the car so you don't scratch anything up; lots of DIY instructions here and on renntech.org and there are basically 2 torx screws holding the cluster pod attached: 1 behind the hazard switch and the other behind the little mic grille on the left.

some pics:
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Or you can use silicone to attach the gauge rings. It allows you to remove the rings if you choose to do so and spend only about 2 to 3 minutes to remove the remnants of the silicone. Very simple clean up. I removed mine prior to returning the car to the leasing company.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:00 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

+1 on the silicone.... easy cleanup!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:10 AM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have been thinking about adding these rings, question: Didn't Porsche have these as part of their techquipment line? I've only been able to find the aftermarket versions. Also, is it really necessary to remove the entire cluster to install these...seems like a big job.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:09 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

You do not have to remove the gauge cluster to install the aluminum gauge rings. Not sure about OEM rings.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Or you can use silicone to attach the gauge rings. It allows you to remove the rings if you choose to do so and spend only about 2 to 3 minutes to remove the remnants of the silicone. Very simple clean up. I removed mine prior to returning the car to the leasing company.
Yes, Tim gave me this tip when I got mine from eBay. They came with double-sided tape but I found that a bit cheesey.

The silicone worked perfect and the rings look great.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
You do not have to remove the gauge cluster to install the aluminum gauge rings. Not sure about OEM rings.
True you don't, but it does make the job easier. The edges are pretty sharp on the rings and they can scratch the lenses if you're not careful positioning them in place with the steering wheel in the way.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of more questions (It looks like aluminum is the winner) is there any need to knock the sharp edges off of the rings prior to installation? If I decide to take out the instrument cluster, are there any issues with disconnecting it from the power? Any feaky-deaky electrical things happen?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Unless you have CF interior accents my choice would be aluminum. One of the least expensive,easiest upgrades. Makes a great improvement. Use Fun- Tac to install
Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tgt40
Couple of more questions (It looks like aluminum is the winner) is there any need to knock the sharp edges off of the rings prior to installation? If I decide to take out the instrument cluster, are there any issues with disconnecting it from the power? Any feaky-deaky electrical things happen?
You do not need to do anything to the gauges prior to installing the rings. Make sure you test fit the rings on the gauges to make sure you have the correct end up.

FYI - the thicker (more rounded) part of the rings go on the bottom. Simply apply double sided tape or silicone and attach. If you are using silicone, you will need to apply some painter's (or masking) tape to hold the rings in place until the silicone sets up.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgt40
If I decide to take out the instrument cluster, are there any issues with disconnecting it from the power? Any feaky-deaky electrical things happen?
No, but make sure your key is NOT in the ignition.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

+1 ^^^

It's not a tough job, but removing the hazard switch can be a PITA. If you have the pod off, you may want to consider the obc hack if you do not already have this option.

See here for hazard removal, be careful, the plastic trim scratches/marks easily.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...=595&hl=hazard
Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am hesitant to put aluminimum rings on the guages - thinking that the Porsche designers meant for the gauges to be seen, not the outside rings. When the sun hits them, don't they draw too much attention?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AndyK
I am hesitant to put aluminimum rings on the guages - thinking that the Porsche designers meant for the gauges to be seen, not the outside rings. When the sun hits them, don't they draw too much attention?
No. Adding the rings does not block your view or the rings in any way. They dramatically improve the appearance of the gauge cluster.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
No glare at all, actually separates the gauges nicely. My photography skill are lousy, but these were taken with a flash. They look better than the photos represent.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Gauge rings Aluminum or Carbon Fibre?