996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CEL 1118

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can Google "OBD2 drive cycle" to get various answers. Here is one.

Link

RUNNING AN OBDII DRIVE CYCLE

Suppose you've "fixed" an emissions problem on your OBDII-equipped vehicle. How can you check your work? By performing what's called an "OBDII drive cycle." The purpose of the OBDII drive cycle is to run all of the onboard diagnostics. The drive cycle shold be performed after you've erased any trouble codes from the PCM's memory, or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through the drive cycle sets all the system status "flags" so that subsequent faults can be detected.

The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.
2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.
3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.
4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.
5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.
6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.
7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any good scanner will show all emission sensors that are not in ready mode. If any are indicated, you will not pass emissions.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:20 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleared the code and P1118 came back on. This is an intermittant problem as in comes on and off. I did observe that when my tank is half full, it comes on. I guess it is time to change the sensor. Does anyone know exactly where the location is? drivers or pass side?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:46 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Physically, it is located on the driver side after the cat.

I found that one of my secondary o2 sensor just had a bad connector so once I bypassed it, the code went away. Of course, I wasted time swapping in new sensors to find out.

Quick Reply: CEL 1118