Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Recent events in my life have caused me to somewhat reevaluate my life. When i was, 16-20, i thought that i was god and most of the males thought accordingly. If there was going to be an accident it should have happened there, but it didn't.Well here is the problem, i still drive fast or faster than i ever have. I am 31 and i had my very first totaled car. I have only owned 4 cars though. I guess the question is "How do you drive?" I don't speed near town or busy places, only on back roads. But sometime you must get out and drive these cars, what a stress reliever. Why do we do these things? They are dangerous, against the law{flame suit on for those whole will say take it to the track}, our track is over 110 miles away.

Question::
How do you handle your manly surges, and no masturbation jokes, do you jump in the car take the top down and just let the wind carry you away. Or are you like me, the little boy racer, who likes the attention and the power. One last question, by your experience will the speeding and danger slow done over age?

Thanks for listening, been a rough couple of weeks.

Drew
Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Listen, I'm not trying to be a shrink here (I'm not one), but I think you may have answered your own question - especially your last line "been a rough couple of weeks." Sounds like driving fast for you may not just satisfying your "manly urges" or "attention and power" but is rather a stress reducer. For many others on the board, driving fast is just plain fun, and what better car to drive aggressively than a Porsche? (No, I'm not the one to be commenting on this, I know). You need a more positive way to relieve your obvious stress or you're gonna end up either arrested or worse. Maybe I'm completely off base, but be careful, regain control, and take better care of yourself. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 PM
imdrew12
Racer

That actually sounds like sound advice, thank you.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 PM
imdrew12
Racer

I guess my post goes far beyond Pcars. I am 31 and single with no kids, my friends in the last 3 years, 3 weddings. 3 babies, and know all of sudden the are living the american dream while i am sitting on my couch surrounded by flat screens and140lbs sub woofers, basically any thing I want, buy dammit I'm not happy. What is wrong with me? dont want to die alone that would suck. I am trying the online thing.

.............maybe this thread should be moved to OT. Sorry.............
Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

+1 Phil.

I found that as I got older (now 40) I slowed down. I was never a big speeder, but a bit less mindful of the speed limit than I am now. I realized that it was more stressful worrying about what could happen, or being pulled over, so I just drive the speed limit now. You have to consider the ability of other drivers that you are sharing the road with, as well as respect their right to be there as well. Most people do not have near enough talent to drive fast in these cars, much less recover in an emergency on a public road. I actually enjoy practicing RPM matching, HT shifting, and being really connected to my car much more than speed - it takes much more practice and talent. Anyone can drive fast, not many do it well. If you really need the speed, best bet is on the track, even if it's 110 miles away. Just my 2 cents since you asked.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:14 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, speed is addicting. I am amazed to still be alive after all the crazy stuff I did on motorcycles in my early 20's. But if you totalled your car, were you driving faster on public roads than you could reasonably expect to maintain control? If so then in my opinion you are taking too much risk and endangering others also. I'm sure that many people here, including me, go very fast on back roads occasionally, but I am very careful where I do it and I try to never drive over about 7/10ths of my ability to control the car. Unlike when I was 20 years old, I don't feel like I am immortal anymore.

Last edited by _Nathan; 03-14-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Originally Posted by DFC
+1 I actually enjoy practicing RPM matching, HT shifting,
what is rev matching and HT matching?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by imdrew12
I guess my post goes far beyond Pcars. I am 31 and single with no kids, my friends in the last 3 years, 3 weddings. 3 babies, and know all of sudden the are living the american dream while i am sitting on my couch surrounded by flat screens and140lbs sub woofers, basically any thing I want, buy dammit I'm not happy. What is wrong with me? dont want to die alone that would suck. I am trying the online thing.

.............maybe this thread should be moved to OT. Sorry.............
Your post really concerns me and others on the board as well. I would seriously recommend you get some help - honestly, you sound pretty depressed. In the meantime, do you have some friends that you can hang with, or parents or sibs you can go to for support? Don't let these feelings fester - sounds like more than a bit of a cry for help. For your sake, get some. Any RL members who live near imdrew in Missouri know him who can get in touch with him??
Old 03-14-2009, 09:26 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do a search on "heel and toe"
Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Your post really concerns me and others on the board as well. I would seriously recommend you get some help - honestly, you sound pretty depressed. In the meantime, do you have some friends that you can hang with, or parents or sibs you can go to for support? Don't let these feelings fester - sounds like more than a bit of a cry for help. For your sake, get some. Any RL members who live near imdrew in Missouri know him who can get in touch with him??
Thank you for your concern and in all honestly i am a very depressed person. As far back as i can remember I was sad. My dad is the same and so was his dad. And to make things worse our family is very small, its down to me, my mom, and my dad. The friends i use to hang out with are now adults and time for nothing else. Oh, also i am an only child, my dad is an only child, and his dad was adopted. I am on some pills that help make me sleep and maybe bring my mood into check. But thanks for your concern.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Do a search on "heel and toe"
oh HT = Heel Toe, got it

Duh
Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by imdrew12
what is rev matching and HT matching?
Blipping the throttle to increase the revs when downshifting to the next lower gear.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...technique.html

And regarding the happiness, only you will know what makes you happy (it's different for everyone), and I again agree with Phil. I'm not sure of your recent events, but speed with a lack of attention or regard is a very dangerous combination.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Don't forget Will Ferrel You're Welcome America starts at 9 eastern, 8 central, 7 mountain and i don't know about the coast. How yeah its on HBO.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. I tend to drive based on my car at the time. So when I went from a Audi tt to a Toyota Highlander I slowed down. then the 996 came along. . . So far no problems and no tickets. A little help from my V1. I really do not need tickets and the higher insurance associated with them.

I do speed, but try to fit with the other speeding traffic. As an outlet I corner faster than I ever have, play Stevie Ray Vaughn loud, and, when the season permit, drive with the windows down and tthe sunroof open.

PS: A new muffler also helps with the illusion of speed . . .

Last edited by Jon996; 03-14-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I'm only a few years older than you, but here is my take. JMHO, YMMV, my .02:

Go for a walk, jog, play with your dog; etc.

Drive for conditions. Slow down, especially in neighborhoods. As good or as bad as you think you might be, you cannot control all variables. Its not worth the risk on the street.

Find another outlet.

Quick Reply: What would you do?