1999 996 cracked engline block

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
maytak
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 996 cracked engline block

Hi Fellow Forum Members,

My 1999 996 was smoking (white smoke) out of the passenger side exhaust and was just diagnosed by Dealer with a cracked engine block. I inquired with a couple of Porsche specialty shops who confirmed that this is a common problem with this model engine. I was otherwise told by another private mechanic that this is not a common problem and that the only thing that needs to be replaced are the cylinder heads/gaskets. Any assistance on who to believe? I want to avoid having to put in a re-manufactured engine if possible. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Kalan
Old 03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

OK, Ill be the first.....

check the oil/filter?.... any metal bits? sorry to hear this.

Both dealer/indie can be correct...
Old 03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
maytak
4th Gear

Talking

Thanks for the reply (and compassion) - The dealer used a camera to scope the engine block and made the diagnosis - did not mention anything about metal bits in the oil/filter. Just that the coolant was leaking into the cylinder. I did not actually see this in person - since I dropped off and went to work...so I am going on their word. The indie guy (recommended by a mediocre mechanic) basically made his gut diagnosis on the phone based on his experience - don't know him/never used him so don't know if his word is any good. I will check the oil/filter for metal bits when I pick up my unfixed car. I assume that is another sign of a block crack? Thanks again
Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A "cracked" block is not common with this engine.. It's development and reliability enhancement is muy specialty and while I have seen some with porosity issues, I don't think I have seen one "cracked".

I have seen parts break inside and expel themselves through the block and that could be the issue.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Check out the Hartech site,
http://www.hartech.org/docs/buyers%2...20part%204.pdf

There is much info here that might help to understand what could have happened to your engine.

If you read Excellence this bit of info was included in the May 09 tech column

Many of us read and quote Excellence Magazine. In this month’s issue, May 2009, Bruce Anderson’s technical answer column, addressing a question about the design of the M96 engine, contains the following information.

“When the Boxster and 996 were relatively new cars and the M96’s problems were not yet understood, rumors suggested that up to 50% of the cars were going to experience failure. Porsche addressed the problems and, today, I am hearing the number of cars that have had or will have a problem is closer to 20%, or one in five.”

It is good to see that “Porsche has addressed the problems”. So those who have a Boxster/Cayman/996/997 with an M96 engine know that you have an 80% chance of not suffering a catastrophic engine problem.

Make sure that PCNA has your current address and vin so you won’t miss the updated component install recall.

Maybe we could start a club with a cloisonné car badge and “T” shirts? “The 20% Club”
Old 03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Mr. Raby,
Maybe "cracked block" referred to cracked cylinder bore?
L&N Engineering: We have overcome the d-chunk and slipped-sleeve problems associated with Porsche 986 & 996 models by engineering an aluminum alloy that has both high ductility AND strength, allowing for larger bore sizes while still increasing reliability, addressing the well known issue of cracked bores in stock engines.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:45 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
A "cracked" block is not common with this engine.. It's development and reliability enhancement is muy specialty and while I have seen some with porosity issues, I don't think I have seen one "cracked".

I have seen parts break inside and expel themselves through the block and that could be the issue.
I suspect they mean cracked cylinder wall or cracked head (The mounting point for the hydraulic tappets is supposed to be a weak point, left hand head)

Given the white smoke - I'd go for a 'D' crack forming in the cylinder wall - which means either a re-bore and retrofit sleeve (if available/possible), or a replacement block.

Either way, not good for the OP -
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
'ringmeister
Advanced

If you end up needing a motor, PM me. i've got a 3.4 with 15K miles.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
maytak
4th Gear

This is looking a bit grim - as my heart sinks deeper into my gut. Anyone know if the car could be sold as is if otherwise in immaculate condition? It comes with a factory installed GT3 aerokit and is otherwise (gulp) beautiful. Just want to see my options - Thanks again for the support.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Others on this forum have also had the 996 engine problems maytak, and doing a search may help you understand the various issues. But, a dealer or indie diagnosis should inform you about your specific engine problem. As mentioned lots of recent articles in Excellence magazine were helpful...sure hope you come out of this okay.How many miles on your Porsche, how long have you owned it? From time to time there are forum members interested in a 996 sans engine.GL
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can of course sell 'as is' but the $$ will be low

You can try and go after Porsche, depending on mileage, service record, warranty, history etc you can try to make the case that this is a known manufacturing defect, and hence they should assist you with replacing the block.

People with cars out of warranty, and even with salvage titles, have managed to get a free replacement block from Porsche, when they reveal that they are fully aware of known manufacturing issues with early M96 blocks.

You do have to be persistent, they will not say yes initially...

best of luck.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cdodkin
You can of course sell 'as is' but the $$ will be low

You can try and go after Porsche, depending on mileage, service record, warranty, history etc you can try to make the case that this is a known manufacturing defect, and hence they should assist you with replacing the block.

People with cars out of warranty, and even with salvage titles, have managed to get a free replacement block from Porsche, when they reveal that they are fully aware of known manufacturing issues with early M96 blocks.

You do have to be persistent, they will not say yes initially...

best of luck.
Hey Chris, right, wasn't there someone who just posted something like this around RMS/IMS?

OP: I'd contact that guy and compare notes.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:31 PM
maytak
4th Gear

Thumbs up

cdodkins - Thanks for posting! This car has been serviced exclusively at Porsche - the records will indicate such...Enlight of the info u provided - bringing the matter to Porsche corporate is certainly a viable option. After all, I have maintained due diligence and lots of $$$ to make certain my baby was maintained by manufacturer recommendations - I.e. Dealer servicing.

Meister Fahrer - thanks for the 411 as well! I will in IMS/RMS per ur suggestion.

Thanks for lookin' out for a Rennlist newbie
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Maytek,
Get a copy of December Excellence. I think it was Jim Pasha (RIP) that documented some of the M type engine problems with good pictures.
http://www.excellence-mag.com/
Old 03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like cracked cylinder head. Sorry for your loss.

This is where everyone tells you how "cheap and reliable" these cars are. Cynical? yep.

Plus if that is the case, your core is not rebuildable and that will cost you an extra $1500 or so if you do not go with a factory replacement.

Quick Reply: 1999 996 cracked engline block