Sponsored by:

Coolant Reservoir (Tank) Replacement for 3.6L

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
It like doing one of those wooden ball puzzles blindfolded with your hands stuck in a peanut butter jar.
Funny, because I have one of those wooden ball puzzles and I couldn't put it together, heh.

This means that I won't attempt the tank replacement but somehow, i've eeked 80K plus miles out of it.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:46 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SHAY2N10
I have seen the posts were the cracked Coolant Reservoir is discussed but have not found a good description of the DIY replacement for the 3.6L. Can anyone provide a description/diagram or provide a link to where I can find one! I know its been discussed but nobody has explained how to fix it?

Btw, just as a backround my extended waranty expired on Feb 25 and I didn't know that it was expiring so soon so I didn't rush it in to the dealer, instead I set an appointment for today March 2nd and now the GE Extended Waranty Services won't cover it because they say the contract is up! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! A couple days late! Hey, maybe someone has some advise for me regarding that?

The most important question is, is it the Short tank or Long tank? The long tank will extend all the way back into the engine compartment. I have replaced alot of coolant tanks, probly close to 100 by now. The short tanks are gravy, start to finish in 30 min. Now the long tank can be a pain in the *** The engine must be lowerd to a "sweet spot". The following must be done for both tanks, remove: secondary air pump, airbox, loosen both fuel lines, some cars have the fuel filter installed as well. The short tank will come right out, carfull not to damage the sensor that locks into the bottom or side of the coolant tank. The long tank takes a little bit more love, like I said, the engine must be lowered just so, (using a floor jack). The problem that I have seen is the coolant hose neck on the bottom of the tank gets snagged on the fuel rail while at the same time the tank gets wedged against the body of the car!! With a little bit of elbow grease and a few choice words it will come out! If you do have the long tank and you attempt to replace it , try to be patient and calm in doing so. I have not seen any pattern as to what models come with what size of tank, or I just have not looked into it. I do not think it is as simple as 3.4 to 3.6 = short to long.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 AM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

SHORT tank
Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 AM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member