Sponsored by:

Drivers Ed - PCA

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM
bobtme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Ed - PCA

Has anyone attended a PCA sponsored Drivers Ed program at your local track?

If so I'd like to get you feedback on the pros and cons of the event.

Bottom line, was it worthwhile ???

Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
granracing
Advanced

Just to throw out another good option for you since your in New England. www.SCDA1.com is a fantastic group to run with. Their events are absolutely top notch. They have a events at LRP, NHIS, and the Glen. I'll be heading to LRP this Spring and a few of their other events as well. There's a great mix of cars from super fast and cool all the way down to my Prelude.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a whole forum dedicated to this. You will find hours and hours and hours of reading.

Some love it, some hate it. Those that love it REEAALLLLY love it.

-td
Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
bobtme
Intermediate

I went to check out this "forum" and went to the first 5 pages and didn't really see anything useful/specific to my question; but I'll ask over there thanks....
Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Bob, I'm in Boston and have done a few events with the local PCA. Drop me a PM or an email if you'd like to discuss things.

Overall, I really enjoy the events. In terms of being "worthwhile" I guess it depends what you expect to get out of it. I have a great time and feel like I learn a lot about the car and myself at the events. By those measures I'd say it's certainly worthwhile.

Shawn
Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA DE is definitely fun and very educational. In addition, you meet many people with a similar passion for cars and driving at the limits. I am of the opinion, that if you own a high HP car you should do several events to understand your limits as a driver.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bobtme
I went to check out this "forum" and went to the first 5 pages and didn't really see anything useful/specific to my question; but I'll ask over there thanks....
Do a search and you'll find what you need. The first 5 pages will be the most current topics - and virtually nothing catering to a newbie to the track.

DEs, including PCA sponsored events, have been around for years and years. People have asked every conceivable question about them. From what to bring the first time, what tires, what pressures, what seats, what gas, etc etc. It's all there for the finding.

-td
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Short answer is YES.
How much you enjoy it will depend on your attitude going in and how the region you pick runs the event. Some regions are way laid back, some are aggressively interactive, most strike a good middle ground between the extremes.
Every event I have been to has had someone that I have “bonded” with in some way. Whether it is similar cars, adjacent “pits” or same run groups you will find common ground with someone there.
It is still one of the least expensive ways to get exposure to instructed high performance driving on a track that you will find.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
BlownC2
Advanced

Thanks
hey bob, i'm in boston also and started doing de's last summer, (very addictive, did 20 of them last summer!). they are definatley worthwhile. as someone else metioned scda is a great group also. i actually did events with pca, scda, audi, and bmw. you see a lot of the same people at all the clubs. met some really good people last year. feel free to pm me if you need any info.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm a fan of PCA events - but I may be biased as I've been a very active PCA member for a long time.

I have run with other clubs, and in general, find that PCA (as a national organization) does more events than any other club. They also tend to have more "structured" rules. Those can rub people with large egos the wrong way... but in general I've found these rules help promote safety and help weed out the people who fall into the category "other sports beckon".
Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks
I attend them on a regular basis. I think they are great!

If you have specific questions feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you my number.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
granracing
Advanced

Damn, 20 events? I'm so jealous. I wish more of them were on weekends.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever you do, DO NOT ATTEND THIS EVENT! If you do, you will become addicted and spend all your time planning your next track event, thinking about the last event, modifying your car for events and talking with others about attending these events.

Seriously tho, they are a lot of fun and you will appreciate your car even more.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
tris911
Advanced

has insurance coverage been a concern for you guys who attended?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what insurance??? Seriously though my friend totaled his boxter at daytona and his insurance paid. He also had a mishap at sebring and his insurance paid there also. Some do and some do not.

Quick Reply: Drivers Ed - PCA