Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Flat6innovations oil filter adapter & IMS bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:38 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I like the BMW oil filter cartridge location. I don't need to jack the car up. Its in the engine bay and I can swap out the filter only every 3700 miles because I don't need to change the oil. The oil looks fine and just throw away the filter with crud that has been built up for the past several thousand miles. My BMW engine reves just like after a complete oil change after the filter change as well but I only do that every 7500 miles.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll go over a few of the points made in the replies here..

Originally Posted by ivangene
I think he is working on sponsorship.......
Yes and I agree that I have taken too long to get that initiated here.. Above all else I am a developer and nothing gets more of my time than making things work, gathering data and coming up with efficient methods of application.. I sometimes wish I didn't own this place, so I could spend ALL my time doing behind the scenes work.

Fact is that in the past 3.5 months I have added 4,000 square feet to our facility and I built the entire building myself (with a couple of friends) and that meant taking the M96 program totally offline until the building, chassis dyno and classroom facilities were finished. I just completed this task last week and have began testing again and shooting a few quick videos like the SPOFA production. Heck I haven't even had time to complete any of my magazine ads as 7 days weeks for 3.5 months get really long!

I agree, nice video and of all the posts you have writen, that one seems to bring the most to the table as you seemed like a real person (though not at all what I expected you to look or act like...much better in person than the "image" I had in head from your posts)
I can be abrasive in technical conversations.. Thats because all I am concerned with is a result and effectiveness as well as getting the information across as accurately as possible to the reader.

I apologize in advance for being direct :-)

That's like one of those back handed compliment
And I appreciate it.

Whats the price on the oil filter adapter?
134.90 when my store site comes back up all the details can be found here
http://www.flat6innovations.com/shop...cat=296&page=1

Like Anderson said, not sure it makes sence for casual users, the factory one has worked for 100k + miles on thousands of cars
Yes, but times change and plastic + heat +oil thats contaminated with fuel intrusion can all take their toll on the filter canister. I don't like ANYTHING thats plastic and attached to an engine and we are working to remove plastic where ever possible as it causes too many issues and they will get worse with age. A good example is the coolant tank and the failures they experience and the reason why I am making replacements from tig welded stainless steel! I like Overkill Engineering, its what Porsches were in previous generations.

When something works I ask myself how it can work better and then work toward that, then test it. Nothing is ever good enough, strong enough, fast enough or tough enough.. As Edison said "there is always a way to do it better... find it".

--------------

The oil filter adapter is about $140. The IMS bearing is $600 plus installation.
Thats for the IMS bearing retrofit, the unit that can ONLY be applied to the cars with a single row IMS, which is a rarity. The IMS update requires engine disassembly and it runs 895.00 with the mods to the IMS made as well.

I've owned BMWs as well and they both use the same type of cartridge filter. At least Porsche's hangs upside down, so all the oil drains out. That said, I've never been overly crazy about them, even though I've never had an engine issue. The filter pleats allow you to see any debris, though that is small consolation. However, I've had some that were torqued, and close to split.
My gripe is cracks, breakage and just the fact that it's cheesy.

BMW had to redesign theirs when the filter media was found to soften during the "extended" service intervals. There are numerous independent studies on oil filter efficiency (though none that I've seen ever compare spin on with BMW/Porsche cartridge) and the Mobil 1 filter and K&N gold come up on top very often.
The studies we are doing now concur with these findings.

The adapter is pretty much a no-brainer, like the magnetic drain plug, in that it has a high percentage resale/reuse value, whereas the IMS bearing does not.
Correct. The magnetic drain plug is a really the best thing we have come up with yet. EVERY M96 we see has oil drain plug issues so this was a real necessity.. The larger hex (10mm)and the hard anodizing make it last for years instead of being disposable. The rare earth magnet helps to collect ferrous debris even before it reaches the filter. Its the best 20 bucks that can be spent!

The best chance these engines hav e at prev enting failure is more frequent oil services, as I mandate that the oil in our engines be purged every 5,000 miles. The key to keeping the service schedule up is making the job easier, cleaner and more enjoyable...

I was not actively reading the board during the November 08 time period due to work location, so I missed the thread(s) following the Excellence article. Sorry, but it does seem there is still a lot of interest.
Yes, there is a ton of interest!!! Needless to say, we haven't really noticed there is a recession going on outside our compound... I have new Employees starting on Monday!

The things we are doing are not aimed toward RACE applications. They are nothing more than what Porsche should have done with this engine from the factory.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Achillies
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one and installed it about 2 months ago. Very easy and I like the spin on filter for long term ease. I purchased it because of the way the product was designed based on research and for peace of mind.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next oil change is coming up soon. I'm going to give this some serious consideration.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm planning on ordering one this weekend. Filter and magnet too.

Quick Reply: Flat6innovations oil filter adapter & IMS bearing?