Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wellard you got guts stuffing 2 kids in the back! I couldn't do it.....and the baby kept quiet?? I don't think my wife would let me...
Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
wellard you got guts stuffing 2 kids in the back! I couldn't do it.....and the baby kept quiet?? I don't think my wife would let me...
Why guts? I'm not sure I follow.

The kids love the car and never cry. They love the engine noise as much as I do.

Much as some might not think so, there's plenty of space for both of them and we all get to have fun together. It's a great family car.

My son knows that it's a special car and often asks to ride in it. In fact, he often gets upset if I go to drive it without taking him along.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:14 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking kids Wayne and thanks for posting the pics!

In the photos, do you have the horizontal rear seat cushions in or out? How about the vertical seat cushions? I see the one behind the rear facing seat is intact but I can't tell if the other one is there or not?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by red911c2
Good looking kids Wayne and thanks for posting the pics!

In the photos, do you have the horizontal rear seat cushions in or out? How about the vertical seat cushions? I see the one behind the rear facing seat is intact but I can't tell if the other one is there or not?
Thanks!

All the seat cushions are there. I normally just put a towel in between the cushions and the child seats to help prevent wear and tear.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Thanks!

All the seat cushions are there. I normally just put a towel in between the cushions and the child seats to help prevent wear and tear.
Does anyone know how much space you gain if you remove them?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by red911c2
Does anyone know how much space you gain if you remove them?
Well, if you take out the bottom seat cushions you don't gain much - maybe 3/4 of an inch in height, but the problem is that the seat narrows further, so it's actually best to leave those in with some seats like the Recaro (which is already a tight fit).

In the case of the back cushions you would probably gain an inch, maybe a little more.

It didn't seem worth it to me, and the seats already fit fine, so I left them in.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Well, if you take out the bottom seat cushions you don't gain much - maybe 3/4 of an inch in height, but the problem is that the seat narrows further, so it's actually best to leave those in with some seats like the Recaro (which is already a tight fit).

In the case of the back cushions you would probably gain an inch, maybe a little more.

It didn't seem worth it to me, and the seats already fit fine, so I left them in.
Thanks again for the info! It's good to know that if the seats are fitting too tight, I can take the rear cushions off and gain a little more room!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kids love the car and never cry. They love the engine noise as much as I do.

Much as some might not think so, there's plenty of space for both of them and we all get to have fun together. It's a great family car.

My son knows that it's a special car and often asks to ride in it. In fact, he often gets upset if I go to drive it without taking him along.
didn't mean in a negative way!! Just that my little one would not let me stuff her in the back and sit there smiling and being happy while I was taking pictures.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
didn't mean in a negative way!! Just that my little one would not let me stuff her in the back and sit there smiling and being happy while I was taking pictures.

I actually thought that you might have been commenting on your wife, but wasn't sure.

My daughter is actually a very happy baby. We had three months of colic hell, but one day she woke up all smiles and has been very happy since then... she's a real change from my son who is on the "sensitive" side.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 02-15-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
I have nothing to add but the Recaro seat looks so cool....
The Recaro seat is awesome!! I have it in our truck. I don't think it would fit in the 996.......
Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ray S
The Recaro seat is awesome!! I have it in our truck. I don't think it would fit in the 996.......
Here's a photo of the Recaro in the 996 and a photo of it on a flight to the UK last year.... a great seat.

We were impressed at how well that seat traveled. We strapped it (with my son in the seat) onto a foldable luggage cart and wheeled him around the airport in it - everyone got a kick out of seeing him speeding through the airport in his seat. We got that recommendation from a US Airways flight attendant - one of the best travel tips I've ever gotten.

In order to get it to fit in the 996 you have to remove the pitch adjustment bar from the base.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 04-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:04 PM
yasuro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good point. when my kids were a little younger, the engine drone would put them right to sleep. and yes, i had my kids in the back. it was a little messy, kids just are, but they still love to ride in my 996.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's funny because my wife made the same comment. I told her that she could take the photos next time.

It's the first time that I've ever had my camera badly overexpose the images when in automatic mode - it was very odd.
No Tim, you're right. Wayne has been posting pics of his "white" 996 for years, but it's really, truly pink. I've seen it. Wayne's just in touch with his feminine side. It's OK Wayne - we're sensitive to your needs and empathize completely with you.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
No Tim, you're right. Wayne has been posting pics of his "white" 996 for years, but it's really, truly pink. I've seen it. Wayne's just in touch with his feminine side. It's OK Wayne - we're sensitive to your needs and empathize completely with you.
Validation..... I KNEW IT!!!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have time to read the whole thread but just want to quickly share, so sorry for a repost.

These are current seats that you can still buy in 2009 that we are using in the 996:

Recaro Young Sport
20-80 lbs, they say 1year old but we werent comfortable until 2years

Recaro Vivo Booster
30-100 pounds and 3-12 years of age

Sorry, never carried the kids as infants in the 996. Didn't have the car then.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.