Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
For >30lbs I also have the Britax Parkway, but that is now discontinued and harder to find. I love this seat, as it is compact and easily fits behind the dirvers seat (unlike the recaro. This allows me to have the Graco rear facing seat behind the passenger seat and the Britax behind the driver seat.
Great info! That sounds like exactly the same scenario that we'll be in. Can you give a guesstimate as to how far you need to move the driver seat forward to accomodate your 3.5 year old?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by red911c2
Great info! That sounds like exactly the same scenario that we'll be in. Can you give a guesstimate as to how far you need to move the driver seat forward to accomodate your 3.5 year old?
Well, I bought the Britax because it was smaller than the Recaro and allows my son to sit behind me without having to adjust my driving position at all. If I'd used the Recaro in the seat behind me I would probably have had to push my seat forward a little, as I'm 6' tall.

My hope is that by the summer my daughter will have graduated into the front facing seat, so the Recaro will go behind the passenger seat and the Britax behind me.

As for the Graco that she is currently using, that forces the passenger seat forward a little, but my wife is 5'2", so doesn't make things too cramped for her - it could be uncomfortable for someone taller.

My hope is that by the time that my daughter is ready to move to the Britax, then I'll have moved my son onto a small booster cushion.

The joy of two kids at different ages is that you get to reuse seats... for 2 kids in three cars we have one Graco snugride, 2 Recaro seats, one Eddie Bauer seat and one Britax. The Recaro and Britax was bought for the Porsche and the Eddie Bauer goes in my Acura. The other Recaro goes into my wife's car.

I'm hoping to take a photo of both kids in the car this weekend, so I'll post it when I have it.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

dell, all good baby seats are BULKY. dont kid your self.
i have roundabout britex and recaro as well.
both are great, probably the best other there.
roundabout is lighter. recaro is VERY VERY heavy. i still like the recaro more. looks better in porsches.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Well, I bought the Britax because it was smaller than the Recaro and allows my son to sit behind me without having to adjust my driving position at all. If I'd used the Recaro in the seat behind me I would probably have had to push my seat forward a little, as I'm 6' tall.

I'm hoping to take a photo of both kids in the car this weekend, so I'll post it when I have it.
Looking forward to the photo! Also, I just googled the Britax Parkway and it looks like my son is still too small for it... He's 30#/36" tall and the safety decal on the seat says 40#/38" tall minimum... Bummer... Looks like I'll have to try and squeeze the Recaro behind my seat for now. The positive is that the Recaro has the 5 point harness.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
recaro is VERY VERY heavy. i still like the recaro more. looks better in porsches.
Well, looks aside, it's the best seat seat out there in terms of strength and side impact protection - it's a really solid seat.

In terms of child seats, you really do get what you pay for and the Recaro is worth the money.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by red911c2
Looking forward to the photo! Also, I just googled the Britax Parkway and it looks like my son is still too small for it... He's 30#/36" tall and the safety decal on the seat says 40#/38" tall minimum... Bummer... Looks like I'll have to try and squeeze the Recaro behind my seat for now. The positive is that the Recaro has the 5 point harness.

Don't worry - he'll be there soon enough! My son had a growth spurt and got there really quickly.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
b-man
Instructor

LVDell, thank you for starting this thread and reviving this subject.

Originally Posted by DFC
Some general information for those who have not used a baby seat.
1. Remove the rear seats for more room (both seat and backrest).
I know the horizotal pad of the seat is attached by Velcro and just lifts up. But, can someone tell me how to remove the backrest of the rear seat? My car is a 2002 coupe if that matters. Thanks.

b-man
Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b-man
I know the horizotal pad of the seat is attached by Velcro and just lifts up. But, can someone tell me how to remove the backrest of the rear seat? My car is a 2002 coupe if that matters. Thanks.

b-man
Here are a few threads on the topic, it really only takes about 10-15 minutes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...need-help.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...s-rollbar.html
Old 02-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Okay, as promised here are the photos of both of my kids in the back of the Porsche.

My son is in the Britax Parkway and my daughter is in the Graco Snugride

I've tried to give you a couple of different angles to show that my son has a good amount of legroom behind my seat and that you can see that the passenger seat is only a few inches forward of the driver's seat. The great thing about the way that the Graco fits is that the seat in front helps wedge it in place and ensure that it does not move.

Once I move my daughter into the Recaro seat I'll repost in this thread so that you can see the Britax and Recaro side by side. I don't expect that photo to happen until late summer.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 04-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Wayne,

Nice looking children! Thank goodness they look like their mother!

All this time I thought you had a WHITE 996. Based upon that last pic, the truth comes out. I also managed to get a spy shot of what your car REALLY looks like! NICE!

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Wayne,

Nice looking children! Thank goodness they look like their mother!

All this time I thought you had a WHITE 996. Based upon that last pic, the truth comes out. I also managed to get a spy shot of what your car REALLY looks like! NICE!

Yeah, I'm also thankful that they look like their mother.... although, I was hoping for at least one of them to share my auburn hair.

As for the pink tint - it's very bright (and cold) outside today, so had really bad problems with over-exposure on the photos. The problem with photographing the relatively dark inside of a car when it's very bright outside. This was my second attempt, where I deliberately underexposed the images, then tweaked them on the computer to ensure that the inside of the car looked good, but over-exposed the windows.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:17 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh yeah, the old "it's the cameras fault" excuse!

I figured that was the case, but I still couldn't resist the chance to do a little photo shop magic!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah, the old "it's the cameras fault" excuse!

I figured that was the case, but I still couldn't resist the chance to do a little photo shop magic!
It's funny because my wife made the same comment. I told her that she could take the photos next time.

It's the first time that I've ever had my camera badly overexpose the images when in automatic mode - it was very odd.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:25 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe your camera has "pink eye."
Old 02-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Maybe your camera has "pink eye."
It has something annoying. I even resorted to getting out the instruction manual to see if there was a setting that I might have messed up to cause it.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.