Sponsored by:

New Rim arrived this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts
Default New Rim arrived this weekend

I picked up my newly finished rim from "aron in toronto" this weekend. It is amazing how nice the new rim is compared to my old bent one which will get turned into a clock at some point.

I want to publicly thank Aron who took the time to make sure the wheel was straight and true before offering to refinish it up in Canada for me. I took advantage of the weaker Canadian dollar on that deal.

One sad disappointment is that I am still unable to get Aron his Rennlist membership all settled. Its been weeks and apparently you cannot give membership as gifts. In addition, if your membership is still active, you cannot sign up for more time. I may have to mail another check to Aron for the membership fees if it doesn't work itself out in the next week or so...

But here are the pics of the rims. The banged up one on the right. I also got a second set of center caps from Aron as well.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:35 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW!! What did you hit??
Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The wheel looks great.

BTW - the old wheel will make a great looking clock. You can call it Uber Daylight Saving Time Clock, since it will save 4 hours per day.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I picked up my newly finished rim from "aron in toronto" this weekend. It is amazing how nice the new rim is compared to my old bent one which will get turned into a clock at some point.

I want to publicly thank Aron who took the time to make sure the wheel was straight and true before offering to refinish it up in Canada for me. I took advantage of the weaker Canadian dollar on that deal.

One sad disappointment is that I am still unable to get Aron his Rennlist membership all settled. Its been weeks and apparently you cannot give membership as gifts. In addition, if your membership is still active, you cannot sign up for more time. I may have to mail another check to Aron for the membership fees if it doesn't work itself out in the next week or so...

But here are the pics of the rims. The banged up one on the right. I also got a second set of center caps from Aron as well.
The look brand spanking new! Glad you got them fixed.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perryinva
WOW!! What did you hit??
I was merging on to the highway day after a snowstorm. Saw what looked like a block of snow that fell off a wheel well but as I got closer, I realized that it is a piece of the road. I could not get away in time as there was traffic in the other lanes and took the beating.

Originally Posted by gota911
The wheel looks great.

BTW - the old wheel will make a great looking clock. You can call it Uber Daylight Saving Time Clock, since it will save 4 hours per day.
Tim,

I guess I will sleep less or work less. Whichever comes first.

Originally Posted by exlondoner
The look brand spanking new! Glad you got them fixed.
Thanks Mick.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Please post a pic of the clock.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

Chao,
Glad it worked out and arrived safely.

As fate would have it, I hit a "hidden" pot hole after sending out your wheel and bent one of the wheels on my DD. At least I knew where to have it repaired.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Aron,

That sux! That just proves that old adage "no good deed goes unpunished!"
Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
The wheel looks great.

Like that "Uber" part, just makes it a complete 20 hour Cuckoo clock.

Good job on the wheel and trying to get a membership for Aron.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Chao... hows the alignment? Might wanna keep an eye on it... Pics of the clock for sure!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
Chao,
Glad it worked out and arrived safely.

As fate would have it, I hit a "hidden" pot hole after sending out your wheel and bent one of the wheels on my DD. At least I knew where to have it repaired.

aron, who did u use up in toronto to have the wheel done? i have the exact same wheels.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow chao it looks like new. how much was the whole project, straightening then refinishing? will they powder coat black?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
Chao... hows the alignment? Might wanna keep an eye on it... Pics of the clock for sure!
I will get a new alignment in the spring after I put the summer tires on. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
wow chao it looks like new. how much was the whole project, straightening then refinishing? will they powder coat black?
Aron was very generous and gave me a great deal on the rim and center caps. I paid CDN$120 to have it refinished. Since the US dollar is stronger than the $CDN, it worked out to be around US$100. I have a number you can call for local work if you want. This guy up in Middletown does powder work.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
aron, who did u use up in toronto to have the wheel done? i have the exact same wheels.
Omar,

I used Old Park auto service (Not far from Mazda on Dufferin) at 951 Roselawn, ask for Joe Tete. The repair was actually farmed out to Union Rim Repair on Caledonia.
It was ~$125 to straighten the outer rim, machine a new surface and clear coat the outer rim. The center did not need refinishing.

As Chao said the wheel looks nice & new, and I used Old Park auto service again to repair the rim on my DD.

Aron

Quick Reply: New Rim arrived this weekend