996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is this? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Looks like bad case of condensation. Absent other symptoms..

Originally Posted by bcr4d
Morning everyone. Upon opening my oil filler cap, this is what I find. Car is 00 C4 with 93K. Car is DD and runs fine. First noticed a little about three months ago after a 700 miles trip. Wasn't that bad, but now it's gotten worse. Am I looking at serious engine work, or new engine. Any ideas? thanks
can be normal.

Cap end of oil tube "cool" and water vapor that ends up in crankcase (normal but one reason why oil changes necesary) rises and reaches that colder area and condenses into water and mixes with oil to form a kind of creamy coffee colored material.

Short trips and 15 miles one way kind of short believe it or cause these engines take a long time to get fully warmed up will not get oil hot enough to boil water out of oil and thus turn it back to vapor where it is then removed by AOS and fed to intake system where it and gas fumes from unburned fuel burned too.

My advice is to change oil more often and at least once a week tale *long* way to work or take car out for a half hour drive some highway but in town can be better cause engine will get hotter in town traffic.

If you start seeing dark drops of oil in coolant or engine starts to run rough, smoke heavily that's likely AOS.

Oh, some suction at oil tube filler opening normal cause engine crankcase with engine running at idle will be kept under slight negative pressure to help lower boiling point of water/fuel in oil so these fluids turned to vapor and removed to keep contamation of oil down. In some cases there can be nearly 3/4ths a quart of water or unburned gas mixed with 10 quarts of oil.

Short trips is severe usage and severe usage demands more frequent oil/filter services if you care about car and its engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
I ran my car today for about 2 hours...WOOWWW do I love this little car...
lol i dint mean it like i baby the car, i drive this car a lot, over the 2.5 years i have owned it, i have put 45000KM... Just during Winters i drive her maybe 2-3 times a week...

But I will have the Dealer look into and have it taken care of :P
Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
can be normal.

Cap end of oil tube "cool" and water vapor that ends up in crankcase (normal but one reason why oil changes necesary) rises and reaches that colder area and condenses into water and mixes with oil to form a kind of creamy coffee colored material.

Short trips and 15 miles one way kind of short believe it or cause these engines take a long time to get fully warmed up will not get oil hot enough to boil water out of oil and thus turn it back to vapor where it is then removed by AOS and fed to intake system where it and gas fumes from unburned fuel burned too.

My advice is to change oil more often and at least once a week tale *long* way to work or take car out for a half hour drive some highway but in town can be better cause engine will get hotter in town traffic.

If you start seeing dark drops of oil in coolant or engine starts to run rough, smoke heavily that's likely AOS.

Oh, some suction at oil tube filler opening normal cause engine crankcase with engine running at idle will be kept under slight negative pressure to help lower boiling point of water/fuel in oil so these fluids turned to vapor and removed to keep contamation of oil down. In some cases there can be nearly 3/4ths a quart of water or unburned gas mixed with 10 quarts of oil.

Short trips is severe usage and severe usage demands more frequent oil/filter services if you care about car and its engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
+1

every winter I get this. Due too short trips to work and no long drives. Spring arives or a long trip and it gets all burnt off plus I usually need to add a liter of oil to top it up.
2002 with 90k km
Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing a little antibiotics wont cure.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine does this every winter too. Gone once the temp goes back up I drive her more. 78,000kms.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

UUGGHH! I just looked and I have VD too! Going for a drive now

Quick Reply: What is this? Pics