Sponsored by:

Drivers Ed Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Ed Questions

Will be doing my first DE event at CMP later this month and wanted to get some insights from you pro's who have done this multiple times before:

- What tire pressure should I run?
- Have heard people talk about racing tape and taping headlights. What is this for (protection from stones, I gues?)... should I tape things up? Is this just simple painters/masking tape?
- Other than the usual stuff that PCA recommends to bring, any other items you can think of?
- Any books I should read before hand that will help me out?
- Other thoughts/tips?

Thx!

PS Gonna be 68 in CLT today/tomorrow... NICE... will be driving with the top down!!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

I'm a novice to DE but I have taken the PSDS.

I can tell you that two books that people keep recommending that I have bought and think are good are:

"speed secrets" by ross bentley

"going faster" by the skip barber school guys
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Will be doing my first DE event at CMP later this month and wanted to get some insights from you pro's who have done this multiple times before:

What tires do you have? Well, I guess it doesn't matter. For your 1st DE, just run at or a little below OEM pressures.

- Have heard people talk about racing tape and taping headlights. What is this for (protection from stones, I gues?)... should I tape things up? Is this just simple painters/masking tape?
It's just blue painters tape. There's no point in taping, a little blue tape isn't going to repel a rock hurled at you at 100MPH.

- Other than the usual stuff that PCA recommends to bring, any other items you can think of?
Just bring you, your car with gas, and a helmet. Anything else isn't really "needed." Oh, and an open mind minus ego helps

Not for your 1st DE. Your instruction at the track will cover everything.

- Other thoughts/tips?
BTW, there is an entire Racing/DE forum on Rennlist. There are loads of "newbie" threads that might be helpful.

-td
Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never done DE but am contemplating it. I think you need to make sure your fluids are fresh and your brakes are in very good shape. You probably know that though.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
I'm a novice to DE but I have taken the PSDS.

I can tell you that two books that people keep recommending that I have bought and think are good are:

"speed secrets" by ross bentley

"going faster" by the skip barber school guys
I have the Speed Secrets... great book... Dell recommended that one a couple of months ago.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:09 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Here's the checklist I used for years when I was just starting...

www.speedventures.com/events/trackchecklist.doc

I have customized this list over the years to adjust for the trailer, car, track support items, etc.

One item not on the list, If this is your 1st event, get an instructor in the right seat and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:52 PM
bentlink
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

smr996: That is a great list. www.speedventures.com/events/trackchecklist.doc
I now have a copy for myself.

Dutchie in NC: the list is overkill for your first DE, but keep it -- this stuff is addictive and you will need it in the future

Tire pressure: as above, try 2lbs less.

This means that you do need a good tire pressure gauge -- and perhaps a pump. (BUY the gauge, its vital regardless. But a pump you can probably ask around -- someone else is bound to have one if you need it.)

I take an extra large duffel bag to throw all the misc stuff in: floor mats, maps, water, some food, tools, emergency pump, etc. for when you are out on the track.

Don't forget sunglasses! (Hat & sunscreen depending.)

I also bring some windex, papertowel, some oil & oil funnel.

Finally, have at least half a tank of gas -- nothing harder to do than leave the track (and lose precious track time & instruction) because you're almost empty!

Have fun!

Last edited by bentlink; 02-07-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Just keep your vision ahead (where you want the car to go), focus on being smooth (inputs) rather than being fast, try to be relaxed (slow, deep breathing helps) and you'll be fine. I think most agree your first DE is one of the best, so just have fun.

Oh yeah, and never lift!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
rcc55125
Intermediate

One note on headlight taping.
It's not to keep your lights from breaking but rather to keep the pieces in place if they do. That way you or the guy behind you might not get a flat tire.
Also, on some cars (BMW e36's) the fog lights can pop out if you drop a wheel off or hit a curb. Taping helps keep the pieces in place so you can take everything home with you.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

most important of all.....have fun! many people get all serious and forget that there is no trophy at the end of the day. Shiny side up!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

most important of all.....have fun! many people get all serious and forget that there is no trophy at the end of the day. Shiny side up!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I assume you are running street tires? If so I'd shoot for around 36 front, 40 rear hot. So you'll probably start around 4 lbs under that cold (since it's your first and it won't be too hot that day you probably won't raise the pressure too much, but if you are aggressive you may see a bigger rise) and measure temps as soon as you pull off. After that I'd tune for feel

Personally, I wouldn't bother with this

Bring a good quality pressure gauge. Long sleeve shirt and pants. A helmet. A good attitude, and don't be afraid to ask your instructor for tons of advice and pointers

- Other thoughts/tips?

Check to make sure all of your brake lights are functioning properly before you head to the event. Change you brake pads prior to the event if you have less than 60% of the material remaining. Additionally it's not a bad idea to check your pad wear after each run. The stock pads will wear quickly on the track.

Have fun!!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of things I learned at my 1st DE:

- Don't be shy about the communication you have with your instructor; +1 on asking lots of questions, but also remember that you're paying for his/her knowledge and instruction. If you two don't click after a couple sessions, I'd respectfully ask for another instructor.

- Stay hydrated by bringing water and or some snacks; you don't realize how exhausting it can be after a couple sessions

- Don't use your hand brake when you get off the track - the heat from the pads resulting from a spirited run can fuse the pads to the rotors

- Consider borrowing a in-car video camera mount. You'll be able to relive the experience many times, and you'll be able to see what you did right and wrong.

Enjoy. If your experience is like mine, you'll never forget it and you'll be chomping at the bit for the next one.

Bob
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Dave-ROR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC

- Other thoughts/tips?

Thx!

PS Gonna be 68 in CLT today/tomorrow... NICE... will be driving with the top down!!
I don't own a 911, but have run in many HPDE's are am involved in running events now.

For tire pressure, just run around OEM pressure settings, your first time out should be completely about learning, not going fast. Playing with tire pressures won't net you any real gain at this point, just ensure that the pressures are correct for the car.

Taping can help hold broken pieces together, in case something gets shattered. On the other hand, I've never taped a street car. A lot of people tape everything, bumper, wheel wells, etc.. it can make cleanup of melted rubber a little easier I guess, but it's not worth the effort IMO.

I'm not sure what PCA suggests, but what others said here is good. Ray S and himself were spot on with the good attitude and no ego part. If a stock civic is on your bumper, let him pass, don't try to prove that your car is faster, listen to your instructor, etc. You will be slow, you SHOULD be slow at your first event.. if you are doing 10/10ths in your first event then you will spin (or worse) the car in short order. I've seen it many times, just stay focused on learning.

CMP can be rough on brakes, so make sure your pads are good.

Oh, and don't lift in the kink
Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Advice from Tiff Needell

Quick Reply: Drivers Ed Questions