996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Drivers Ed Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Guy Apple
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your oil level, clean out your car completely, have at least a half tank of gas, set your tires at factory settings (first few DEs), and the standard helmet, thin soled shoes without a fat welting (nothing to catch the edge of the pedels) and the standard stuff on the organizer's list like helment etc. ONce you get there, park the ego at the paddock entrance, and listen to your instructors. Make sure you get an instructor as many times as you can.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't try too hard, be relaxed and listen to your instructor.

I think some of the most common mistakes I see with students is they think they're going to be really fast on their first time out on track, or they become too self conscious and/or try too hard. Also try to spot the flag stations early on.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

All, great advice... thx!

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR
Oh, and don't lift in the kink
?????
Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Dutchie, you might also want to wear brown trousers, just in case you get a little aggressive and scare yourself. That way the "skid mark" won't be quite so obvious.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
Dutchie, you might also want to wear brown trousers, just in case you get a little aggressive and scare yourself. That way the "skid mark" won't be quite so obvious.
Nice...!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Dave-ROR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
All, great advice... thx!

?????
Here's the track map for CMP: http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.c...diagrambig.gif

See the turn labeled 10? That's the kink. Don't lift there... almost all the incidents I've seen at CMP are there.. Since you are new, you'll likely be warned by your instructor anyways.

The worse possible thing to do on that turn is to lift off the throttle (not that it's good to do so on any turn, it's just a sure fire way of having an off at speed there), so just don't lift. Worse case, if you are going to go off (anywhere on the course BTW, not just at the kink), let the car go off as straight as possible and recover control/slow down then.

The kink can also feel a little unsettling in a light car, but you may not notice in the 911. In a E46 M3 I barely noticed, in a <2000lb Civic race car, the car feels like it's thrown to the outside of the turn after the apex (which is why people lift, which causes lift throttle oversteer, which causes a spin.. there's hard objects on both side of the track. They aren't near the track but it's not a slow turn so a car can slide across the grass for awhile as long as it doesn't dig into the sand going sideways (which is worse..)).

I'm not trying to scare you (I know it probably sounds like it, sorry ), I just want you to be aware of what I've seen in the numerous times I've driven CMP. The kink isn't dangerous if you know what not to do there.

Other than that, I love CMP and the course is a blast to drive, the new 12/13 section is a hell of a lot better than the old section (the old 12 and 13 I used to hate, it's like turn 17 and the hairpin at Sebring, I just never felt like I get them right. :shrug
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM
granracing
Advanced

Dutchie,

Like others suggested, Going Faster and Speed Secrets are fantastic resources.

Your questions are very common but I couldn't find a good source for all of the necessary information. After a couple of years complaining that there wasn't one out there, I decided to write one myself. Since my motivation has never been financial with the project and I'm far from even reaching break-even with it, hopefully people won't mind me mentioning it here. Just take a peek my site www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com .

A few months ago I attempted to sell some of the popular racing books but it resulted in me starting to get away from my purpose of the resource I wrote / website so I stopped doing it. I think I have about 6 copies of Going Faster left, and one of Speed Secrets (as well as a few others). I bought them at 50% off the cover price; if you or anyone else wants a copy of one of these I'd be happy to sell them at my cost plus whatever I pay in shipping (USPS?). Absolutely no profit on my end. I as going to return them to the publisher but maybe someone here could benefit from this.

I'd also be more than happy to give you any advice or answer some of the questions you may have regardless of whether you consider any of the above items or not.

Get ready for a new addiction!

Dave Gran
Old 02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Tom N
Instructor

Dutchie,

Lots of good advice in the responses. For your first DE, just leave the ego at home, keep an open mind, and bring water, sunshade, a chair, etc.

A comfortable driver is a safer driver

You will get an overview of the track (including the "kink" warning ) from your instructor and the classroom sessions. CMP is a a fun track, the new 12-13 section much more fun (and easier on the equipment) than the old layout.

After a helmet, a decent tire guage would be the first tool to get as you build your DE tool bag.

There is a tread on this event in the "Perf. & Comp." Forum under "Racing", which is the Rennlist forum that has the most DE related traffic.

I'll be at CMP, instructing for this event. Drop by and introduce yourself.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR
Here's the track map for CMP: http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.c...diagrambig.gif

See the turn labeled 10? That's the kink. Don't lift there... almost all the incidents I've seen at CMP are there.. Since you are new, you'll likely be warned by your instructor anyways.

The worse possible thing to do on that turn is to lift off the throttle (not that it's good to do so on any turn, it's just a sure fire way of having an off at speed there), so just don't lift. Worse case, if you are going to go off (anywhere on the course BTW, not just at the kink), let the car go off as straight as possible and recover control/slow down then.

The kink can also feel a little unsettling in a light car, but you may not notice in the 911. In a E46 M3 I barely noticed, in a <2000lb Civic race car, the car feels like it's thrown to the outside of the turn after the apex (which is why people lift, which causes lift throttle oversteer, which causes a spin.. there's hard objects on both side of the track. They aren't near the track but it's not a slow turn so a car can slide across the grass for awhile as long as it doesn't dig into the sand going sideways (which is worse..)).

I'm not trying to scare you (I know it probably sounds like it, sorry ), I just want you to be aware of what I've seen in the numerous times I've driven CMP. The kink isn't dangerous if you know what not to do there.

Other than that, I love CMP and the course is a blast to drive, the new 12/13 section is a hell of a lot better than the old section (the old 12 and 13 I used to hate, it's like turn 17 and the hairpin at Sebring, I just never felt like I get them right. :shrug
Got it. thx!

Quick Reply: Drivers Ed Questions