Front plates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 67FJ45
jyoteen,
Could you post a link to whomever sells them and maybe a pic of your plate setup? Thanks.
Hi, I have the license plate bracket from GoMiniGo.

They have instructions for Porsche but it's pretty straightforward since it's a standard 19mm mount (towhook)

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-main.html

The PDF to the porsche mounting is here:
http://www.images.gominigo.com/INSTR...ES_Porsche.pdf
Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
I actually checked, and the law states it has to be mounted a certain distance from the ground. I originally got questioned when it was up there too. It's now on the side door compartment and no trouble since. Hope it stays that way
You must've meant only for your state. As i understand it in Texas (which could just as easily be wrong since I'm dense like that :

For the Texas crew, here's what I found. Like I said, this could be soooo wrong that you get arrested for treason....

[1]Texas VTCA section 502.404 says "displayed" not mounted.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle,
[2] A Texas Court of Appeals case interprets this:

The apparent purpose of section 502.404(a) is to facilitate the identification of a motor vehicle by its license plate number whether it is moving toward or away from the viewer. While a place to display the license plate is usually found on the front bumper, the statute does not expressly require the use of this location. The display of the plate in some other place or manner is not inconsistent with the language or purpose of the statute. The officers testified that they could see the license plate in the windshield. We conclude that Losoya's display of his front license plate in the manner shown here did not violate section 502.404(a) as to give the officers grounds to reasonably suspect a violation of that statute.
Maybe something changed since the last time I looked at this stuff.

-td
Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that live in states which require front plates, you might check to see if you can get a permit to run with one plate while you are waiting for your replacement front plate. I used to do this in Mass after the police started clamping down on single plate cars.

Fpor $5 I would get an official document that I kept in the car. If stopped I would produce it and explain that the replacement plate had yet to arrive...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In CO, I ran front-plate naked for a few months. I kept the plate under the passenger seat and placed it on the dash while parked. I drive near a major speed trap on I-70 and see 2-15 State Troopers, Local Police and Sheriff's up close weekly just as I enter the freeway (Exit 256, Lookout Mtn - be very aware!). I never had any hassle from those guys.

Then I started getting parking tickets at meters and on-street parking in neighborhoods in Denver. Needless to say it is very aggravating to know you paid the meter and come back to the car and find a ticket. I "caught" the guy one time and tried to stop him - pointing out the plate located on the dash. "Not legal" is all he said as he wrote the ticket.

I guess Denver, CO needs revenue...
I gave up and put the front plate on.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 AM
JoeTanto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In SoCal I've only had problems with street parking at meters in West Los Angeles. I haven't had a problem anywhere else in town for almost 5 years. Go Bumperplugs!!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:54 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got pulled over in my MINI and got an "illegal equipment" warning for having a WeatherTech ClearCover license plate frame. Apparently they are illegal in MD because you can't have anything covering your license plate, even if it is clear. So when I traded in the MINI on a 997 last year I put plates on front and rear. I figured that if the MD state cops are such ****** that they would ticket me for a license plate frame then they would definitely ticket me for not having any front plate.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:57 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's a matter of luck. I live in San Diego & have gone almost a year with NO plates at all, front or rear, plus my windows are tinted, & I happen to drive my car quite a bit, as I usually stop by all of my stores throughout the day, one of which happens to be across the street from a police station & at which I park on red pretty often... Again, luck.

Quick Reply: Front plates?