Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

EVO CAI installed - What do I do w/ Breather Line??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Med - what is you take on your CAI? Other that increased intake sound, do you really notice any difference in performance?
Tim,

Honestly, I don't think it's any louder than my stock airbox w/ BMC filter. The sound has also smoothed out a bit. It's less growly now (not sure if thats a plus). What I have noticed is less E-gas lag in the lower RPMs. I just put the new tube on yesterday, so I'm still waiting for the computer to adjust and learn.

When you factor in the cost difference, $80 vs $600 (new), it's really a close call.

Aaron
Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give ya $80 for it.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Aaron, thanks to the feedback.

I have never been convinced that adding an aftermarket CAI was worth the money. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but even if it added 10 to 15 HP (which I doubt) would anyone be able to notice or "feel" a 3% to 5% gain in power? I guess I am just skeptical that Porsche would intentionally leave 10 to 15 HP on the table. I won't even go into some "oiled" air filters that can destroy the MAS.

Hell, the 26 HP that is gained by adding the Carrera power kit (X-51) costs $16,000 when ordered from the factory. Is that too costly, yes I think it is, but Porsche can get it from a few people.

Just one man's opinion on CAI. Take it for what it is worth to you.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to imagine that most everyone on this board considers the CAI a audible improvement only; no appreciable gains. You have to keep in mind that even with the X51 kit, Porsche doen't modify the stock 996 air box. Ponder that one.

I wouldn't mind a little more growl, but certainly not paying $250 for it. Even if I could find one used, the red hose I'm not in love with; and yes, there are vendors who sell lengths of 3.5 or 4", 3 and 4 ply black silicone hose, but its not fun to work with [difficult to cut cleanly].

Is the BMC filter a dry one? Anyone have a link handy?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
I would have to imagine that most everyone on this board considers the CAI a audible improvement only; no appreciable gains. You have to keep in mind that even with the X51 kit, Porsche doen't modify the stock 996 air box. Ponder that one.

I wouldn't mind a little more growl, but certainly not paying $250 for it. Even if I could find one used, the red hose I'm not in love with; and yes, there are vendors who sell lengths of 3.5 or 4", 3 and 4 ply black silicone hose, but its not fun to work with [difficult to cut cleanly].

Is the BMC filter a dry one? Anyone have a link handy?
The BMC is lightly oiled to dry. I think it works great. PM sent.

Personally I think the red tube is a joke for $250. If someone is in love with that idea, Schnell makes a cheaper version ($125?), but still.

In a NA car I would go with the stock/BMC setup hands down. Unless you can get lucky and find a good deal on a used EVO CAI, (thanks Manny!).

The EVO CAI is a nice unit, looks good, and a little better performance than stock/BMC, but not $500 better IMHO. Also, I may be a tard, but I can't figure out how to safely get the cone filter out of the EVO. Not sure how much I can bend it, but it's a darn tight fit.

Last edited by medtech; 02-06-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArneeA
I'll give ya $80 for it.
Rrrrriiiigght....
Old 02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anders0n,

You bring up a great point about Porsche not altering the airbox. I have watched all theses CAI threads with interest, trying to determine the value of opening up the airbox a bit.

I have a stock race car and cannot alter the intake tube, but I can't help but think that getting more fresh air down there would be beneficial in a race application. Without real data, I gotta believe that opening up the small square openingon the left, or adding something on the right would help.

Geting a couple of HP at the redline is very helpful. Has anyone seen, tested, or fabed a higher volume airbox to work with a stock intake?

Sorry if this hijacks the thread.

Quick Reply: EVO CAI installed - What do I do w/ Breather Line??