Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

EVO CAI installed - What do I do w/ Breather Line??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
It's because they think: "Why in the world would anyone drive an automatic Porsche?!"
I know, I know, but LA traffic turns pleasure into pain REAL quick.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It's because they think: "Why in the world would anyone drive an automatic Porsche?!"
They are pretty smart. Who can argue with that!

Oh, sorry Nicolaas!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by gota911
They are pretty smart. Who can argue with that!

Oh, sorry Nicolaas!
Man, I'm glad I didn't include the part about having to get a tip to keep the wife happy.....ooops.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by medtech
Man, I'm glad I didn't include the part about having to get a tip to keep the wife happy.....ooops.
Yeah!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 PM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I just installed a Fabspeed intake with the red tube on my Tip C2. I also have this breather line that I do not know what do do with. As shown by Christian above, it appears that Evo and K&N have Tiptronic solutions for this extra line. Fabspeed does not. I called them and they said that I could do one of the following:
1) Put a breather tube filter on it (as suggested by Arnee). If I go this route, can somebody help recommend what/where to buy?
2) Drill a hole and put a grommet in the Fabspeed tube and tap the line into the red tube. I prefer this solution as this would be equivalent to the Evo solution above but I have no idea which parts to buy, how big a hole to drill, etc. etc. If somebody can give me some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the fabspeed hose is a silicon hose, you can just tap into it without any other issues. I suggest doing that.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 AM
medtech
Drifting

John,

Maybe some of the other guys can be more specific, but basically you need a plastic nipple similar to the one on the breather tube. Punch that thru the silicone tube and secure it. Then get a small length of vacuum hose and connect the 2. I would think most of these things could be found at Kragen.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Since the fabspeed hose is a silicon hose, you can just tap into it without any other issues. I suggest doing that.
Yes, that's what I would like to do but specifically how? How big a hole should I drill; how do I connect the breather line to the silicon hose (what parts and where to buy)? As you can see from medtech's photo in the thread, that breather line doesn't quite reach the hose. On the OEM hose, there is connecting elbow hose that reaches out to that line.

I brought both the OEM hose and Fabspeed red hose to Kraegen Auto today and told them what I wanted to do and they were no help at all so I'm asking the experts here.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

John,

Maybe some of the other guys can be more specific, but basically you need a plastic nipple similar to the one on the breather tube. Punch that thru the silicone tube and secure it. Then get a small length of vacuum hose and connect the 2. I would think most of these things could be found at Kragen.

Good luck.
Yes, I can visualize what you are saying in my head and tried to explain this to Kragen but the guy I talked to was clueless and basically told me they don't have such parts and that I should go to the hardware store. I find that hard to believe. If somebody can be more specific or have done this before, I could really use the help. thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Use the terminology of "vacuum hose couplings"

Will be plastic looking, or nylon, or poly.

Looks like this:

or this

Found HERE

Just match the ID of the breather tube to the OD of the barb. I'd use a little sealant, maybe silicone, on the intake side to assure a good seal and prevent leaks.

My local Autozone has all kinds of these, or try like you said any local hardware store.

HTH
Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Went ot Autozone today and bought a pre-molded rubber hose that included a 45 degree bend. The hose has a 3/8" inner diameter to accommodate the factory vacumn line. I cut the hose and left about 1-1/2 inches on both sides of the bend to form an elbow connector, then drilled a 1/2" hole in the red Fabspeed tube. I plugged one end of the elbow connector into the hole in the red tube, sealed the connection from the outside with some silicon adhesive and plugged the vacumn line into the other end of the elbow connector. Attached photo shows the finished result. I hope the solution holds up.

Thanks to those who offered helpful advice and made me brave enough to attempt this DIY effort.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
medtech
Drifting

John,

It looks pretty good. I would watch it over time and make sure it doesn't vibrate loose. If it does I would go with a plug connector like Anderson suggested.

Quite frankly, for what you payed for it, it kind of annoys me that Fabspeed doesn't take a more active role in finding a solution for you, but that's another story.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:24 PM
John in Norcal
Instructor

John,

It looks pretty good. I would watch it over time and make sure it doesn't vibrate loose. If it does I would go with a plug connector like Anderson suggested.

Quite frankly, for what you payed for it, it kind of annoys me that Fabspeed doesn't take a more active role in finding a solution for you, but that's another story.

Yes, I would have preferred to build something more solid like Anderson suggested but Autozone didn't have the right parts so I ended up with what I had.

In fact, I would've preferred not to tinker with these homemade solutions at all. If Fabspeed would just sell me a kit to do this minor mod, I would've gladly overpaid just to know that I got something true and tested.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by John in Norcal
Yes, I would have preferred to build something more solid like Anderson suggested but Autozone didn't have the right parts so I ended up with what I had.

In fact, I would've preferred not to tinker with these homemade solutions at all. If Fabspeed would just sell me a kit to do this minor mod, I would've gladly overpaid just to know that I got something true and tested.
Agreed.

Anderson put a link in his post so you can order the part online. My concern is that the silicone could break loose over time and get sucked into the engine.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

John,

Med - what is you take on your CAI? Other that increased intake sound, do you really notice any difference in performance?

Quick Reply: EVO CAI installed - What do I do w/ Breather Line??