996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Spyder wheel for turbo (and C4S?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spyder wheel for turbo (and C4S?)

I am sure these will be a fortune, but wow are they impressive. Look lower on the link for the mounting system.

LINK
Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing wrong with your wheels.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Nothing wrong with your wheels.
Thanks much! Still fun to look though. I was always fascinated by the knock-off mounting nut on the old Jag and Aston Martin wheels . . .
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

very cool especially the mounting system
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

wow... looks expensive!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a set of similar-appearing TSW 5-spoke wheels on my old '02 Passat wagon, lowered H&R + Bilsteins.

People were always tripping on those wheels, it wasn't easy to tell it was just a center cover plate with a large nut to hold the cap on....

Anyway I like that look, but yeah those wheels must be expensive.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are beautiful but these are actually much closer to what's on the Spyder. They are forged magnesium so they are very light and very strong. Unfortunately they are bare magnesium so they won't stand up to street use without being painted. The wheels were made by BBS a few years ago for the 996 supercup cars in Europe. Mine have both the five bolt pattern and the centerlock. They've been sitting in my garage for a couple of years. I plan to have them painted a dark grey and then I'll put them on my black cab.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 PM
michollock
Advanced

wow... those look pretty sweet. Once you bolt up the mounting system doesn't that negate the rotoing mass they are referring to in the overview??
Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

Default reply

The center-lock adapter that you bolt to the disc has nearly all its mass centered on the axle's axis and therefore (theoretically) doesn't require any force to rotate. With standard 5-bolt wheels, the power input to the axle has to overcome the "moment" of those bolts being Y distance from center axis ( Y x mass-bolt). Think about it in terms of swinging a ball on a string above your head; one end of the string is connected to a ball, one end is connected to a handle. The heavier the ball, the harder it will be to swing and keep swinging. But if you think about it, regardless of whether the handle is wood or steel, it wont effect how hard it is to swing the ball, that's because the handle weight is centered around the axis or rotation.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michollock
wow... those look pretty sweet. Once you bolt up the mounting system doesn't that negate the rotoing mass they are referring to in the overview??
I think they are refering to the advantages of centerlock wheels on a race car as opposed to the turbo wheels. They sure are great looking though.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Navy'sporsche
The center-lock adapter that you bolt to the disc has nearly all its mass centered on the axle's axis and therefore (theoretically) doesn't require any force to rotate. With standard 5-bolt wheels, the power input to the axle has to overcome the "moment" of those bolts being Y distance from center axis ( Y x mass-bolt). Think about it in terms of swinging a ball on a string above your head; one end of the string is connected to a ball, one end is connected to a handle. The heavier the ball, the harder it will be to swing and keep swinging. But if you think about it, regardless of whether the handle is wood or steel, it wont effect how hard it is to swing the ball, that's because the handle weight is centered around the axis or rotation.

Actually center lock wheels have **** where the bolts usually are that go into holes in the back of the wheels. (I'll take pictures) With the turbo wheels it's those little red bolts in the picture. So, I think the force it exerted from the same point as if you have bolts. Clearly I'm not an engineer though.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

Default reply

That may be the case with aftermarket center-locks like these, but many race cars used splined wheels (Rudge knock-offs for early 356's were like this) so there is less weight off the center line. Additionally, those look like anodized aluminum which weight less than steel bolts. Center locks admittedly are used more for the reduced tire-changing time in races though and less for the dynamic advantages I described.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Actually center lock wheels have **** where the bolts usually are that go into holes in the back of the wheels. (I'll take pictures) With the turbo wheels it's those little red bolts in the picture. So, I think the force it exerted from the same point as if you have bolts. Clearly I'm not an engineer though.
Awe, I was hoping the red things were armor piercing slugs for dealing with heavy traffic!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

I think they're little paper weights that you can put on your desk and when people ask "What are those?" You can reply smuggly, "Race car parts" "oooooooouuu...."
Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Navy'sporsche
That may be the case with aftermarket center-locks like these, but many race cars used splined wheels (Rudge knock-offs for early 356's were like this) so there is less weight off the center line. Additionally, those look like anodized aluminum which weight less than steel bolts. Center locks admittedly are used more for the reduced tire-changing time in races though and less for the dynamic advantages I described.
Here is what they look like on the 997 cup. *** rather than splines. The splines would have to be pretty strong. There is a lot of torque here.

I'm not sure what the Spyder looks like but I can ask someone.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Spyder wheel for turbo (and C4S?)